HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:13 AM
Gaithersburg, MD, USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,070 Posts
Seen that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coops2
Fred, just a side issue since we have your attention.........the mounting of the co-pilot on choppers I have never been happy with the foam tape and tie method and have myself used cable tie with a small wedge of plastic putty each side of the boom, however I was sitting here after work having a beer and suddenly realised a clamp we used a few weeks ago at work may be perfect to either add to the kit or advise for install, its a nylon type pipe clamp which the yacht company we were at uses in some areas.....it has a curved side which takes a tie and comes in different sizes and the other side is a flat surface with double sided foam tape on it....so the boom on the curved side and the sensor on the foam flat side with a extra tie for security do you want me to see if I can find out where they came from??

Good idea. Yes, I have seen those. Howie, our resident heli pilot, probably uses something like that. I am sure we can source from Mc Masters-Carr. I will pass this along to Engineering.

Thanks
Fred@fmadirect.com
electroman is offline Find More Posts by electroman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:13 AM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67flyer
Would this work for a power supply for the cellpro: http://www.duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxp4300.html I don't like playing with power and would have to find some one to do the pc power supply mod.

Will the balance pro have an ac in or is it still dc.
Pretty sweet little power supply! It'll likely work just fine. On the surface the specs look okay, 12V 7A output.

Dave
Probedude is offline Find More Posts by Probedude
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:45 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,829 Posts
Quote:
Would this work for a power supply for the cellpro: http://www.duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxp4300.html I don't like playing with power and would have to find some one to do the pc power supply mod.

Will the balance pro have an ac in or is it still dc.
For $40 you'd be better off buying a used Astron (or similar) power supply on eBay. Search eBay for "astron power supply".
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:02 AM
Gaithersburg, MD, USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,070 Posts
Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB
For $40 you'd be better off buying a used Astron (or similar) power supply on eBay. Search eBay for "astron power supply".

Consider the ways:
1) 12V only for use in the shop with a power supply and in the field from 12V supply.
2) Build in a 12V AC/DC converter at added cost, bulk, and weight.
3) Do a modular approach with a precision AC/DC converter that can be used in the shop but snapped off for carriage to the field.

Let me guess: 1/3 for 1); 1/3 for 2) and 1/3 for three- right?
electroman is offline Find More Posts by electroman
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:18 AM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroman
Consider the ways:
1) 12V only for use in the shop with a power supply and in the field from 12V supply.
3) Do a modular approach with a precision AC/DC converter that can be used in the shop but snapped off for carriage to the field.

Not sure what you're talking about.

Astron makes reasonably priced high quality power supplies. Their primary market is Amateur Radio and commercial radio equipment. They have units from 5A-75A and linear and switchers available. These things last forever, can be serviced, the linear units come with a schematic, and can be found used for great prices. What's not to like? A much better quality supply for the same or a just a few dollars more than buying and converting a PC power supply. Plus, it's plug and play. No jacks or load resistors to add, or case hacking.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:22 AM
Zip 08857
Joined Jun 2005
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroman
Consider the ways:

Can you clarify? Is that a yes or no? Which one are you recommending?

I'm just a dumb Noob. I have read the Lipo battery guide on your FMA site, some things I comprehend but for the most part the info was just too technical for me.

I was also looking at the Duratrax to power the Cellpro at home to charge my Blade CX2 batteries. Just want to be sure before dropping almost $100 for both. Thanks!
JookSing is online now Find More Posts by JookSing
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:42 AM
Free State of Lavaca
Joined Nov 2006
888 Posts
I don't know if my idea is a valid one (other than I have seen some workbench pictures with 12 volt gel cells being used as glueing weights . But anyway. I have another hobby that occasionally uses small (>10 ah) 6 and 12 volt gel cells (the last 12 volt I bought cost about $12). They are light enought to carry in a field box, that way I have portable power for a few charges w/o opening the hood. I will recharge the gel cell at home (with a 500mah wall wart charger). In theory I could probably even charge lipos at the same time at home (and slow the discharge of the gell cells)

Or I could hook the cellpro up to a larger dc powersupply (converted pc).
---
Anyway, I have only tried the gel cell idea once so far, with a soon to be retired charger (not a cellpro). I am not sure if it worked or not, as my charge time was considerably less than I expected. My current charger has no (easy) way to monitor the individual cells, so I while I am certain something is not right, I am not sure what it is.
chainlink is offline Find More Posts by chainlink
Last edited by chainlink; Jan 12, 2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:55 AM
Ventura, CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainlink
I don't know if my idea is a valid one (other than I have seen some workbench pictures with 12 volt gel cells being used as glueing weights . But anyway. I have another hobby that occasionally uses small (>10 ah) 6 and 12 volt gel cells (the last 12 volt I bought cost about $12). They are light enought to carry in a field box, that way I have portable power for a few charges w/o opening the hood. I will recharge the gel cell at home (with a 500mah wall wart charger). In theory I could probably even charge lipos at the same time at home (and slow the discharge of the gell cells)

Or I could hook the cellpro up to a larger dc powersupply (converted pc).
A lot of people do this - use a battery to power the Cellpro which then charges your Lipos. In your case you're looking at using a smallish SLA (sealed lead acid battery). I'm using a 33AH SLA, guys at the field are using marine deep cycle, lawn and tractor, and motorcycle batteries.

I see no problem with that Duratrax power supply - specs are reasonable but the $40.00 price could be spent on other supplies. It does have a cute way of clipping your battery clips to it. Will it last as long as an Astron? Survive a power spike? Maybe, maybe not. At least its small size you can toss it into your field bag and go places with it vs a heavier linear supply or a bigger switcher.

If you have an electronics surplus house around - pay them a visit. Excess/obsolete/used/surplus power supplies are plentiful. My AC-DC power supply, a medical grade switcher from PowerOne I bought surplus about 15 years ago. 12V, 16.8A output, $20.00. I leave this one at work so I can charge batteries after flying at lunchtime.

Whatever works for you, meets your needs, and is a good value.
Probedude is offline Find More Posts by Probedude
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:08 AM
Zip 08857
Joined Jun 2005
565 Posts
Can I do this?

I have a 12V car battery booster for emergencies. All it has is the alligator leads to attach to the car battery post. Can I clip the smaller Cellpro alligator clips onto the larger ailligator clips on the car booster battery as a power supply?

In other words, is it alright to clip alligator clip to alligator clip?
Last edited by JookSing; Jan 12, 2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:31 AM
Joined Apr 2006
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JookSing
Can I do this?

I have a 12V car battery booster for emergencies. All it has is the alligator leads to attach to the car battery post. Can I clip the smaller Cellpro alligator clips onto the larger ailligator clips on the Car booster battery as a power supply?

Yes, just be sure to keep the + ones separated from the - ones.
Barry2 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:33 AM
Zip 08857
Joined Jun 2005
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry2
Yes, just be sure to keep the + ones separated from the - ones.
Ok then...sound like I'm good to go...the Cellpro it is! Thanks!
Last edited by JookSing; Jan 12, 2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:42 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JookSing
Can I do this?

I have a 12V car battery booster for emergencies. All it has is the alligator leads to attach to the car battery post. Can I clip the smaller Cellpro alligator clips onto the larger ailligator clips on the car booster battery as a power supply?

EXACTLY what I do! Those little booster things can be bought for 20 or 30 bucks at the discount/big box stores. You can use them indoors or out plus if you leave the lights on in your car, you can boost yourself. Ask me how I know.
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:51 AM
Zip 08857
Joined Jun 2005
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPFlyer
EXACTLY what I do! Those little booster things can be bought for 20 or 30 bucks at the discount/big box stores. You can use them indoors or out plus if you leave the lights on in your car, you can boost yourself. Ask me how I know.
Thanks! I love this place! Sometimes a simple answer such as yours is all one needs.

Yes, I guess reading the guides posted here and the links to the pages does have it's benefits, but not all people are so technically inclined. My head was spinning looking at all those graphs and specs. The worse part is after reading all 3 sections I didn't understand what I read and I still didn't find the answer to my question!! Whew!!
Last edited by JookSing; Jan 12, 2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:23 PM
Joined Apr 2006
38 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input. I really didn't want to cut the clips off a new charger and then put banana clips on. (Now if it came that way already it would be nice) I don't want to have clip on clip connections either. And the one example with the exposed bolts that go to the pc power supply is defenitly out. Right now I only fly at home or work with my hb2. I guess I need to make a decision about what my next bigger helo is going to be gas or electric. And then commit to a charging solution.

Thanks
67flyer is offline Find More Posts by 67flyer
Old Jan 12, 2007, 12:27 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the input. I really didn't want to cut the clips off a new charger and then put banana clips on. (Now if it came that way already it would be nice) I don't want to have clip on clip connections either. And the one example with the exposed bolts that go to the pc power supply is defenitly out. Right now I only fly at home or work with my hb2. I guess I need to make a decision about what my next bigger helo is going to be gas or electric. And then commit to a charging solution.

Thanks
Added bonus - the male banana clips fit nicely into the wire end of the alligator clips! Who knew??

Sometimes simple is best, JookSing. Cheers!
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer