SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 26, 2006, 07:22 AM
san jose ,CA
Joined Jun 2004
541 Posts
i have recently purchased 10 leads for 24 shipped . here
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=FMACPBP7
also i would like to ad this is the best charger i have ever owned . it works amazingly . u just plug a batt in, and watch the numbers go up. u can check to see if your cells have diminished in capacity on every charge . charge without fear of imbalance or explosion . i also build packs now and again and i always charge the cells before building with this charger (and a special lead).. in fact 1 time i soldered a wire on the wrong tab and the charger simply told me the error code , i fixed the problem plugged the pack back in and began charging with NO damage to the charger or the battery. (i did this once to a cms charger and blew some diodes off the board). i believe this is the bast charger on the market for the price. now if we could only up the amperage a little bit
rumplestilskin is offline Find More Posts by rumplestilskin
Last edited by rumplestilskin; Aug 26, 2006 at 07:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2006, 08:34 AM
Brit in NZ
NZ
Joined Sep 2005
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumplestilskin
<snip> now if we could only up the amperage a little bit
I have never purchased or used the FMA CellPro 4S - however I do have a BalancePro 6S that I use all the time. I think if you are looking for higher current or higher cell count then the BalancePro 6S takes some beating!

Rod
RC-Tester is offline Find More Posts by RC-Tester
Old Aug 26, 2006, 07:10 PM
Luis Bustamante
USA, NJ, Hackettstown
Joined Aug 2002
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Blakeslee
Luis, did you not read the rest of my post? Don't you see the contradiction between what FMA writes to sell its product and what's written as an accurate appraisal of the inherent danger in charging LiPos? Do you know af any other vendor who implies at the point of sale that his product is so safe that the charging process can be walked away from?

Quite a lot of the work you mention has tried to develop a fuller understanding of the nature of LiPos. In my opinion, it would be a betrayal of that effort to let an unsafe assertion pass without notice, merely because the assertor has been noticed before.

"Witchhunt" is not justified. I'd appreciate it if you would withdraw it.

Regards,

- RD
Yes, I do know of other vendors who tell me to trust their electronics and charge my lipo without a second thought: My cellphone manufacturer, my laptop manufacturer (DELL! ), my pda manufacturer, etc... etc...

I don't know, maybe it's just my cynical mind but I don't take anything any manufacturer says as gospel. After all, they are just trying to make a buck.

Getting back to your post. Yes, I read the whole thing and, forgive me, it was not particularly informative. The fact that you say "Fred says this and his website says that" is not something an uninformed reader would benefit from. Anybody knowledgeable enough to know who you are and who Fred is also knows enough about lipos and the way we use (abuse?) them to know that we must treat them with care when charging.

Anybody who would blindly accept Fred's marketing message will probably not benefit from the post I remarked about since they probably don't know who you are and wouldn't care if somebody out there is saying "Fred is contradicting himself". Heck, they will probably not even read this forum!

Luis

PS: Out of respect for you, I have withdrawn the word you find offensive. Thanks again for all your contributions to our collective knowledge base.
yardflier is online now Find More Posts by yardflier
Old Aug 27, 2006, 06:00 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
Thank you, Luis. I'll send you a PM later.

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:04 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Cellpro marketing copy says: Plug-and-Play and Walk Away!

Cellpro owners manual says: Always watch LiPo packs while they are charging. Never leave LiPo packs unsupervised during charging.

I think that most reasonable people are in agreement that watching and supervising charging LiPos does not require one to remain frozen in a crouched position over the pack after flipping the switch to begin each charge. One can "walk away" to another part of the room or general area and tend to other business without losing the ability to supervise the charging process. One can do so with more confidence when using a proven safety device. That's what the Cellpro marketing copy and owners manual say to me.

By the way, I haven't been following all of the Cellpro threads. How many incidents of fires have been reported to date while using this device?
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:20 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
None that I am yet aware of.

Even with these chargers I don't walk away (unless it's all outdoors anyway) but they are as simple to use as anything out there and so far seem to do what I want them to do anyway - which is why I now have two of them.
BEC is online now Find More Posts by BEC
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:17 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
Post #48 makes the point that many of the folks who might encounter the point-of-sale jingle I object to will never see my posting here on RCG. But, it's here for those who do and who may find it instructive.

No need to belabor it further.

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:03 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Scholefield
It's hard to do that when you are charging each cell individually.

I'll keep beating on it to see if I can get it to hickup.
I am still confused as to how this can be a serial charger but charges each cell seperately.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=16

Perhaps the answer is here but as it has been staed that the CP4 is propitiatory design I guess the guessing will continue.

http://www.deeteeenterprises.com/NS....alizer.CLB.php

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Aug 28, 2006, 02:12 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
kudos to FMA

Kudos to FMA. I ordered two Cellpros last Tuesday for a buddy and myself and was told that they had just received more and had to be put into the inventory and they would probably go out on Friday. Well its the following Monday and they arrived a couple of minutes ago!
The charger is running right now and I'm charging and checking my Maxamp packs (they have a balancing jumper that works with the PQ connection on the FMA adaptor). Its just cool watching each cell come up to snuff on the screen.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Last edited by dottney; Aug 28, 2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 03:27 PM
Joined Nov 2005
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
I am still confused as to how this can be a serial charger but charges each cell seperately.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=16

Perhaps the answer is here but as it has been staed that the CP4 is propitiatory design I guess the guessing will continue.

http://www.deeteeenterprises.com/NS....alizer.CLB.php

Charles
From the CellPro 4S manual;
"Each cell is charged independently, providing exceptional charging safety and elevating RC
packs to the safety level of cellphones."

Sounds like a true balancing charger to me based on the description but the poster who saw a cell initially over 4.20 V get discharged to 4.20 V seems more like a balancer + serial charger.

Mike
Mike abcd is offline Find More Posts by Mike abcd
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:51 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
It looks to me the CellPro was built by someone that was smart enough to realize that you don't have to have 4 chargers to do the job of one. Lots less to go wrong. the Caddy of chargers makes the rest look like model Ts. Glad I bought one.
Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:07 PM
Joined Jul 2006
73 Posts
Correct, The Cellpro utilizes intelligent software to accomplish the charging task.

Comparing the DN power charger to the Cellpro is like comparing the Align ESC to a
Kontronic ESC.
Ultraviolet is offline Find More Posts by Ultraviolet
Old Aug 29, 2006, 01:49 PM
Got more toys than my kid
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
It's a little hard to explain the whole "individual charging circuits" versus "serial/balancer hybrid" concept. With a separate serial charger and balancer, the charge is placed on the ends while a resistance is applied to the higher cells. This works pretty well, but the resistance is rarely variable with most balancers, so the charge rate tends to jump on individual cells as the resistance is applied and removed. However, it has worked for most of us.

Individual, isolated chargers give each cell it's own charger that varies the current for that cell as it approaches 4.2V. A very direct approach.

As best as I can tell, FMA CellPro seems to employ variable resistance to the charge current in order to control the charge rate to the cells. Therefore, an "optimum" charge current is applied, but the circuit applies a variable resistance load on the high cells in order to adjust the charge rate per cell. The result is just like the isolated chargers: custom charge current is applied to each cell. It's just the approach is to apply a serial current and then employ a "throttle" on each cell to adjust the charge rate.

In any case, it's an impressive design alright. It's akin to when Castle Creations were the first to come out with affordale high-end speed controls. Eventually there will be many "me too" chargers based on this design, but FMA is the only game in town for now.

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline Find More Posts by macr0t0r
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2006, 03:09 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
And for those of you (like me) who were looking for balance lead pigtails - they're shown as back in stock on FMA's site now. I just ordered a bunch.
BEC is online now Find More Posts by BEC
Old Aug 29, 2006, 06:46 PM
Canada, MB, Brandon
Joined Jan 2003
531 Posts
Canadian Supplier????

Okay guys, I need one of these chargers and I can't find any Canadian Supplier who stocks it or even show any signs of wanting to get it in for me. Anyone know of a Canadian Source for the FMA Cellpro?

Thanks,
Bill
BillyM is offline Find More Posts by BillyM