SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 06, 2006, 07:19 PM
Registered User
Ijamsville, MD, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2001
456 Posts
Going to 10S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroback
too bad it doesn't go to 10s.

r
Which is better to have an economical charger that can do 12S in two sets of 6S in 40 minutes total or a single 10S that takes 1.5 hours. The feature of charging in 20 minutes gives great flexibility.
Fred Marks is offline Find More Posts by Fred Marks
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2006, 08:37 PM
Registered User
rumplestilskin's Avatar
san jose ,CA
Joined Jun 2004
541 Posts
hey where is my charger ... i hope mine arrives soon . i am flabergasted at the amazing features that this little charger has .i cant wait to try it out
rumplestilskin is offline Find More Posts by rumplestilskin
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2006, 12:38 AM
Registered User
Ijamsville, MD, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2001
456 Posts
BalPro Charge settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giz
Fred,

That's very interesting. I hadn't spotted that the BalancePro did this. I wasn't aware that it could charge non-FMA packs either.

I was just about to spend $100 on a TP-210V balancer but I'm now thinking that the BalancePro might be a better option. The info on the web site says the BalancePro can charge packs of 2000mah to 9600mah. Can it do smaller packs? Does it have the same charge current settings as the CellPro?
Look under Connecting The Pack at the knob that shows 0 to 10 amps. Set it as low as you want and up to 10 amps if you want. The main intent for BalPro was for large packs because we knew we had CellPro coming for the lighter packs. However, either charger can be used for any size packs depending on your personal charging regime.
http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1190.pdf
Fred Marks is offline Find More Posts by Fred Marks
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2006, 12:40 AM
Registered User
Ijamsville, MD, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2001
456 Posts
Charge range for BalPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewillman
Question for Mr. Marks:

It is just a personal preference, but I prefer to charge my packs at ~ .5C. Can I set the CellPro to do this, and still be protected against accidentally charging at too high amperage?



Thanks,
Bruce
Yes. See answer to Giz question.

fred@fmadirect.com
Fred Marks is offline Find More Posts by Fred Marks
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2006, 12:44 AM
Registered User
Ijamsville, MD, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2001
456 Posts
Adapters for all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptEvo
Does it come with cable that will fit PolyQuest, Apex charge connectors ?
I'm more interested in Apex (that's what I'll be using with)
Its a moving target , but, yes PQ, TP, et al are covered and as many adapters as it takes will be forthcoming:
http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica...soon/index.htm

In essence, the standard is the FMA Li PO Vesatile Adapter.
Fred Marks is offline Find More Posts by Fred Marks
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2006, 02:16 PM
Sir Tim Rowledge
rowledge's Avatar
Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2001
198 Posts
I'm a touch puzzled by the document Fred pointed to (http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1190.pdf) combined with the later mention by him of adaptors (http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica...soon/index.htm) for other brands since the former document has a big warning about how using other brand batteries could be dangerous.

I think the new charger sounds an excellent idea but I'm not too keen on being sold two items by a single company and then being told they're dangerous to use in the only plausible way. So is using a BalancePro charger with an official FMA adaptor for my PQ packs dangerous or not?
rowledge is online now Find More Posts by rowledge
Last edited by rowledge; Apr 07, 2006 at 02:17 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2006, 03:13 PM
Registered User
Ijamsville, MD, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2001
456 Posts
Warnings statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowledge
I'm a touch puzzled by the document Fred pointed to (http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1190.pdf) combined with the later mention by him of adaptors (http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica...soon/index.htm) for other brands since the former document has a big warning about how using other brand batteries could be dangerous.

I think the new charger sounds an excellent idea but I'm not too keen on being sold two items by a single company and then being told they're dangerous to use in the only plausible way. So is using a BalancePro charger with an official FMA adaptor for my PQ packs dangerous or not?
Using any charger with any pack in any way, anywhere can be dangerous if the pack happens to be a damaged pack, is left unattended, is being charged in a pile of wood shavings, and happens to be one that erupts in flames for any reason whatsoever in a million years. Are you perhaps from the UK? You might not know the story of the two brothers from Texas who tried to trim a hedge with their rotary lawn mower. When they were injured, they sued the lawnmower manufacturer for damages, claiming that the manual did not tell them they might be hurt doing that. The court awarded them six million dollars in damages. That is where the current wave of maddening tort extortion began. That's the way things are here in the US. Any other questions?

We might add, please be careful of wet floors if you miss the urinal, you might slip and fall and then sue the owner of the loo! I notice this forum dissected the case of the lady who placed the cup of hot coffee between her legs as she drove then sued Mc Donalds after she was scalded by the coffee. She won that suit too. We are not trying to obfuscate or to make fun of your valid quaestion, but rathher, to explain how litiginous society forces protective statements. For this, we are terribly sorry. The one that floors me is that, if I listen to the ads for various medications and took them literally, I would never, ever, take that medication. Especially the statements about sexual side-effects!!!!!
Fred Marks is offline Find More Posts by Fred Marks
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 07, 2006, 04:17 PM
ProBro # 501
Boss248's Avatar
Austin Tx
Joined Jul 2005
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Marks
Using any charger with any pack in any way, anywhere can be dangerous if the pack happens to be a damaged pack, is left unattended, is being charged in a pile of wood shavings, and happens to be one that erupts in flames for any reason whatsoever in a million years. Are you perhaps from the UK? You might not know the story of the two brothers from Texas who tried to trim a hedge with their rotary lawn mower. When they were injured, they sued the lawnmower manufacturer for damages, claiming that the manual did not tell them they might be hurt doing that. The court awarded them six million dollars in damages. That is where the current wave of maddening tort extortion began. That's the way things are here in the US. Any other questions?

We might add, please be careful of wet floors if you miss the urinal, you might slip and fall and then sue the owner of the loo! I notice this forum dissected the case of the lady who placed the cup of hot coffee between her legs as she drove then sued Mc Donalds after she was scalded by the coffee. She won that suit too. We are not trying to obfuscate or to make fun of your valid quaestion, but rathher, to explain how litiginous society forces protective statements. For this, we are terribly sorry. The one that floors me is that, if I listen to the ads for various medications and took them literally, I would never, ever, take that medication. Especially the statements about sexual side-effects!!!!!
You are one strange dude Fred...

Boss
Boss248 is offline Find More Posts by Boss248
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2006, 12:01 PM
Sir Tim Rowledge
rowledge's Avatar
Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2001
198 Posts
As it happens Fred I *am* from UK but spent 13 years in Silicon Valley and now live on Vancouver Island, so I'm all too familiar with the vexatiously litigious nature of commercial life in the US. Which actually was what made me wonder about the clash between declaring something dangerous and selling an adaptor to do this 'dangerous' thing. I guess there is an unpleasantly fine line between warning of danger and being told in court that you have advocated it!

I'd guess that what you really meant with the warning was more along the lines of
"charging lithium polymer batteries can be dangerous if appropriate care is not exercised. We believe using our brand packs with our charger minimizes that risk. Using our charger with a proper FMA adaptor is the best way to reduce the risk when charging other brand cells"
or something like that?
rowledge is online now Find More Posts by rowledge
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2006, 04:10 PM
Registered User
CaptEvo's Avatar
Joined Jul 2004
658 Posts
I pre-ordered mine yesterday, with adapter, but was told that they don't have the pricing for the adapter yet. Fred, any idea how much it'll be? and how long til you ship it.
CaptEvo is offline Find More Posts by CaptEvo
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2006, 11:30 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2006
7 Posts
Fred, Are you going to have direct "Plug and play" adapters? Specifically I have Tanic packs. I do not feel comfortable soldering the generic adapters
to my packs for safety reasons. So will you have an adapter specifically for
tanic packs?
Mackquint is offline Find More Posts by Mackquint
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 03:47 PM
Registered User
Ijamsville, MD, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2001
456 Posts
Adapters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackquint
Fred, Are you going to have direct "Plug and play" adapters? Specifically I have Tanic packs. I do not feel comfortable soldering the generic adapters
to my packs for safety reasons. So will you have an adapter specifically for
tanic packs?
Adapters will be done for those packs that have a level of demand for adapters to make it worth while. We feel it is important for polarization to have complete integrity. Engineering is working with a number of such adapters. Please follow the Coming Soon page http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica...soon/index.htm
to keep track.
Fred Marks is offline Find More Posts by Fred Marks
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 08:25 PM
BEC
Registered User
BEC's Avatar
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
How many cells in your Tanic packs? In one of Charles' collections of adapters there is the idea, for 3s, of rigging an adapter that uses a combination of the regular discharge leads and ONE JST (put into the tap for the center cell). That would be as close to surely polarized as you could probably get for a Cellpro charger adapter (or one for the balancer of your choice). Four other cell counts it wouldn't be quite so straightforward.....
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 08:30 PM
Southern Pride
everydayflyer's Avatar
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,834 Posts
This one

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=681103


There is also thi 3 JST one by matt but you do have to make sure how the Tanic taps are wired. There have been reports of the oust side ones being revesed order wise..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=159.

Standard Tanic taps wiring.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=680821

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Apr 10, 2006 at 08:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:50 AM
Registered User
Denver Colorado
Joined Jun 2002
120 Posts
My Tanic packs are 4S 3250's


Jesse
j.Rendon is offline Find More Posts by j.Rendon
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Where can I buy FMA CellPro node connectors? ChrisAttebery Batteries and Chargers 11 Aug 18, 2006 10:56 AM
Question Conensus on DN Micro Charger or FMA Cellpro? ormandj Batteries and Chargers 10 Jul 10, 2006 11:04 AM
Discussion FMA CellPro Charger RD Blakeslee Batteries and Chargers 18 Jun 01, 2006 07:52 PM
Servocity -- fantastic job Van Vendor Talk 0 Jan 02, 2002 04:15 PM