Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 05, 2006, 10:50 AM
Joined Dec 2005
361 Posts
Discussion
Common Sense RC Lipo unbiased battery review.

Ran into an offer I couldn't refuse. Common Sense RC posted an offer here on RC groups for 30% off plus free shipping on their "big pack" lipo's. All they aked in return was an honest review of their batteries to get them some exposure. I checked out their web site, and really liked there mission statement and explanation of how they came up with their C ratings, so I picked up a 3s1p4000mah 15c lipo. The following is my review of not only the battery itself, but the service that I recieved.

Customer Service:

Ordering was a snap, and they take PayPal. I recieved a confirmation email, and the battery showed up a week later via Priority Mail. The item was well packed in bubble wrap, and the battery itself was in a plastic bag. The leads had heat shrink on them to protect the battery.

I should have read the battery sizing better, becasue I found out the battery would not fit in my Supersportster. I emailed Mike at Common Sense RC and explained that the battery wouldn't fit. I asked him if I could buy another 3s1p4000mah battery at the discounted rate in order to make a 6s2p. I told him I didn't have a plane for it yet, but needed an excuse to do a large electric conversion anyway. He said no problem, and I had a second battery a week later.

Very easy and accomadating people to deal with!

Because I do not have a motor to handle a 6s2p4000mah battery, I tested one battery at a time.

Battery Test:

Motor used: AXI 2820/10.
Battery used: 3s1p4000mah 15c Lipo.
Watt Meter used: Eflite watt meter.
Charger Used: Triton

Compacity:
I soldered on a Deans connector, and put the battery on my Triton charger. It was at 11.8 volts from the factory. I then cycled it down to 9.6 volts and charged it up to its full capacity of 12.6 volts. My Triton said it accepted 3984mah of juice. This is awesome becasue I only discharged down to 9.6volts instead of 9volts to be safe. I would say this pack has at least 4000mah of usable power

Performance:
I wish I had a motor with a bigger amp draw to test for you guys, but my AXI 2820/10 will pull 44amps WOT. This battery is rated for 60amp constant, and 80amp burst.

I ran WOT for as long as I could without over heating the motor bench testing it. I ran it WOT for 2 min and then 1/2 throttle for 1 min in my cold basement with a 10x8 prop. I kept alternating between WOT and 1/2 throttle until I used up 2500mah. The motor never went beyond luke warm, and the battery showed no signs of heat what so ever. 44amp draw doesn't even phase this battery!

For comparision sake I hooked up a Thunder Power 15C constant 3s2p4200mah battery and ran the same test. Results were almost identical. The TP battery actually got luke warm, where as the Common Sense RC battery did not.

Conclusion:

I am very impressed with my Common Senese RC 3s1p4000mah batteries. What really has me sold on these batteries is the customer service that goes along with them. No issues as of now, but I have a feeling they will stand by their product if I do have any issues in the future. The biggest killer of Lipos is heat, and 44amps of draw doesn't even get these babies luke warm. That tells me that they will handle 60amps comfortable, just as advertised. I will update this thread as soon as I can test them wired togethor as a 6s when I get my AXI 4130 in the near future. Take a look at their website at www.commonsenserc.com and see what you think. Based on my limited testing I give them 2 thumbs up.
Adam G is offline Find More Posts by Adam G
to remove ads between posts