Closed Thread
Old Apr 04, 2006, 01:21 AM
2013 GRAND SPORT CORVETTE
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
Mini-Review
EP-100 & EP-200 Build/Review

Well I hope the moderators know this is really a micro in spite of it's name and don't move me to the MINI forum.

Since a couple years back when the Zoom/Shogun made it's way around the world from Taiwan, the folks in charge of product development have been doing their home work and have created what seems to be a miniature Mikado Logo. As you will see in some of the pictures shown in this thread when you put this little newcomer next to a bad boy like my Carbon Logo 14, the similarities are striking.

At one point a month ago, I had preordered a Blue Arrow Dexterity 3DX micro CP. After three changes in promised shipping dates and some obvious quality issues coupled with some posted video that really wasn't very impressive, I cancelled the order. I have to tell you that after opening the package I got from Fung at Flying-Hobby.com two days ago, I am very happy that I cancelled the Blue Arrow order.

On quick inspection, the quality of the goods seems to be very high. The design uses the majority of the mechanical attributes of the Logo helicopters that I have owned and look like some one took my L 14 and shrunk it down to about 1/8 the size. There are some folks (I used to be one) that will rail on about intellectual property rights, but since Mikado has nothing in this size on the market I think the concern is wasted. I must say, if you are going to copy something you could have picked many, many less desirable platforms besides the Mikado Logo.

I will share the outfitting and test hops on this little CP beastie for any who care to follow along for the next four or five days.

Here's a couple of pics to get things going.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393

SAFETY BULLETIN http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2854

Quote:
For those who have an EP100 Pro, here's something that should be immediately fixed or catastrophic failure in flight will occur.
A lot have been experiencing oscillation problems when spooling up, and this could be one of the major reasons why.
The EP100 Pro's mainshaft holder is not a one piece CNC machined unit.
The top shaft holder that houses the two bearings is actually press fitted into the base!
There is no set screw, tack welds, or anything holding this high stress area to the base. It's just pressed in.
I should have been suspicious when my Mini-Z started to develop some vertical slop on the spur gear which I couldn't get rid of.
During testing the other day, I spooled up the motor, and suddenly, the entire mainshaft, servos, swashplate, and main rotor assembly began to wobble badly, and the mainshaft bent.
When I took a close look at it, the mainshaft holder had completely pulled out of the base, causing the mainshaft to bend.
The aileron and pitch servos are bolted to the mainshaft holder, and together with the swashplate and main rotor assembly, started to do some violent hula hooping!
I can just imagine if the mainshaft holder had decided to separate in flight.
Catastrophic failure and spectacular damage!
I JB welded the mainshaft holder to the base, and will be putting it all back together shortly. My hex driver is pointing to the area where I JB'ed it back together.
Hoverup is offline Find More Posts by Hoverup
Last edited by Hoverup; Oct 21, 2007 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Safety warning.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2006, 01:37 AM
The Rave.
Singapore Paya Lebar, Singapore
Joined Aug 2003
768 Posts
Boyd,

a pity, the same couldn't be said for the Align 600, even though they did test their motors on a L10/14? ship....

Your second pic is hilarious.... It's just nonsense man, it's smaller than a coke can... ...

Flight reports pleeze!!!!
MicroHeli-Nut is offline Find More Posts by MicroHeli-Nut
Old Apr 04, 2006, 01:39 AM
RC Heli Addict
United States, CA, Shasta
Joined Dec 2005
430 Posts
This is what I have been waiting for. Boyd always does such detailed build threads and I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Always looking forward to Boyd's input.
e-heliflyer is offline Find More Posts by e-heliflyer
Old Apr 04, 2006, 02:27 AM
That tree again!!!!
Germantown, MD, US
Joined Sep 2004
6,642 Posts
looking like a mosquito in a skeleton Thanks for doing the review sir!

thanh
thanhTran is offline Find More Posts by thanhTran
Old Apr 04, 2006, 02:49 AM
The Rave.
Singapore Paya Lebar, Singapore
Joined Aug 2003
768 Posts
I dont mean any thing negative, it really feels different looking at that pic, compared to if u're looking at Alexander's thumb sized heli beside his hamster... it just feels odd ball man... belt, BH head... full feature and the size of a coke can.
MicroHeli-Nut is offline Find More Posts by MicroHeli-Nut
Old Apr 04, 2006, 04:42 AM
DRAGONUS
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joined Jan 2006
1,150 Posts
That looks fantastic! Cant wait to see this thread progress. It comes with a brushed motor as standard then? Get thee gone thy brushed motor of much weakness and gross power waste!!!!

Butuz
Butuz is offline Find More Posts by Butuz
Old Apr 04, 2006, 09:11 AM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butuz
That looks fantastic! Cant wait to see this thread progress. It comes with a brushed motor as standard then? Get thee gone thy brushed motor of much weakness and gross power waste!!!!

Butuz
We aim to please
Old Apr 04, 2006, 10:47 AM
Formerly Denver. Now West Bend, WI
Joined Dec 2005
2,063 Posts
Tag.
LuckyDuc is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDuc
Old Apr 04, 2006, 10:49 AM
Not yet to FFF
Athens, Ohio
Joined Jul 2005
47 Posts
Where did you get this thing? It is awesome!
jonbennett is offline Find More Posts by jonbennett
Old Apr 04, 2006, 11:07 AM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbennett
Where did you get this thing? It is awesome!
http://www.flying-hobby.com/productShow.asp?id=1320

Check out the video of this thing in the hands of a good 3D pilot (which I am not)
Old Apr 04, 2006, 11:10 AM
DRAGONUS
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joined Jan 2006
1,150 Posts
It runs on 2S!! Omg its the perfect heli for me and my flightpower's and my little 2S balance charger that charges 2 packs at a time!!!!

Butuz
Butuz is offline Find More Posts by Butuz
Old Apr 04, 2006, 11:57 AM
heli addict
Ohio
Joined Nov 2003
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverup
We aim to please
I would like to see a review with the brushed motor that it came with...
humveeflyer is online now Find More Posts by humveeflyer
Old Apr 04, 2006, 12:16 PM
Gimbaled
morgan hill california
Joined May 2004
3,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverup
We aim to please
very cool Boyd,

what bl motor is that ? I have mine comming fomr Top-copter in a few days I can't wait .

very cool of you to do this build thread
superdave42 is offline Find More Posts by superdave42
Old Apr 04, 2006, 12:31 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
11,127 Posts
you guys are like crack pushers Not another heli to buy
blade strike is online now Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Pilot App *BETA* Overview
Old Apr 04, 2006, 12:57 PM
Golden Gulf Coast
Joined Jul 2002
10,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butuz
It runs on 2S!! Omg its the perfect heli for me and my flightpower's and my little 2S balance charger that charges 2 packs at a time!!!!

Butuz
Yes 2s for light weight powering a 4800kV outrunner with a 15t pinion driving a 120t spur. Perfect combination for a small CP with not much disc area. Plenty of headspeed by the way as you may have heard in the video.

Cheers - Boyd
Closed Thread