HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2006, 11:38 PM
Thomasville, GA 31792
Joined Apr 2002
1,060 Posts
Discussion
Does anyone still use 3M adhesive transfer tape?

I've got a stash of 3M 924 tape that I don't need any more, and was wondering if it's still being used for bonding balsa or obechi to foam cores.

Roger
rogerflies is offline Find More Posts by rogerflies
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2006, 01:45 AM
Retired USAF
USA, SD, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2005
2,910 Posts
I know some people are still using it, although I've never tried it. Erich used it on his wing skins for his Dodgson Camano Build and I remember a thread in the slope forum where someone was looking for it, as well.
cynjon is offline Find More Posts by cynjon
Old Apr 04, 2006, 10:50 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Transfer tape is all we used back in 70's/80's for sheeting foam core wings. It's not really tape, but a thin film of contact adhesive (about 2 mil thick) on a backing. Strong as heck, will destroy the foam core before it delams. I have several models that are 20 - 30 years old that were sheeted using transfer tape, and they are just fine. It's the quickest and cleanest way to sheet foam core wings.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Apr 04, 2006, 01:22 PM
Holden , Massachusettes
Joined Feb 2004
2,597 Posts
Does anyone still use 3M transfer tape?

Yes I do. As cynjon stated, used it on a Dodgson Camano. Will be building a Windsong in the near future using this tape. Found a supplier for it and ordered a number of rolls. Stuff works great and isn't messy. Once contact is made, it's on forever. Not used much today, cause there just aren't any, new, foam core kits around. It's either pre-built glass or built up wooden kits. Neither of which are done with this tape.

erich
erich is offline Find More Posts by erich
Old Apr 05, 2006, 06:34 AM
Vienna, VA, USA
Joined Dec 2005
774 Posts
I've used it on a number of planes, including an Anthem. Great way of building a wing, except for the heart-stopping moment of first contact - OMG, did I get it on straight? (If the sheeting goes on crooked, it stays crooked FOREVER, you can't realign it without destroying the wing.) The Anthem wing was incredibly strong, I sold it to a friend who managed to put an additional 10 degrees of dihedral in the wing rod on launch, but the wings held up fine. (He said it flew better that way.)

As erich says, it's a pity there aren't any new foam core kits coming on the market.
Resurgam is online now Find More Posts by Resurgam