HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2002, 11:56 PM
Formerly Black96Z
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2002
765 Posts
What would be a good first kit to build? not ARF

As the title says. I have had 4 planes, I can fly reasonably well, and I think my next step is to build a plane from a basic kit. What would be a good kit for me to try on? I was looking at a mini lazer 3D at the shop today and I think I could build it. What would you guys suggest that I learn with?
Heli Slime is offline Find More Posts by Heli Slime
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2002, 12:36 AM
Melbourne, Victoria, Oz.
Joined Oct 2000
307 Posts
If you want to learn to build, and can fly a bit, The Sig lt 25 is a beaut thing. Highly recomended here on the zone, anything from a Mag mayhem and 10 cells through to a supercharged rocket motor and 21 cells has been tried. Adaptable as a model and very forgiving as an aeroplane.

hugh
Oneson1 is offline Find More Posts by Oneson1
Old Jul 04, 2002, 12:38 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
If you're looking for smaller, park flyer sized airplanes, or at least open to that, check out the switchback by Mountain Models www.mountainmodels.com or go to the parkflyers forum and do a search for gobs of information.
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jul 04, 2002, 07:39 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
I've built an LT25 as recommended by a previous poster and maybe you've seen me fly it at Rennar. I've just installed a brushless motor and 14 cells. If I were to do this kit from the get go I wouldn't waste my time with brushed motors. You can always fly around on reduced power.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Jul 04, 2002, 08:53 AM
Formerly Black96Z
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2002
765 Posts
Hey Kelvin. I have my first brushless on the way. Its a jeti phasor 15/4 and a 40 amp control for my newest plane(which I have only flown twice). I need packs that can handle more amp draw, which are in the mail also.

Hey, I might go out to renner today if the wind and rain stay away. You planning to go fly today?

David
Old Jul 04, 2002, 10:57 AM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
Any of the model air tech

http://www.modelairtech.com/

"stick" kits are a good choice. The Tumblewatt especialy is a good choice and totally fun to fly.

Dean in Milwaukee
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Jul 04, 2002, 10:44 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,440 Posts
Herr Engineering makes very nice kits, excellent lazer cutting.

S&R Batteries Cutie gets a lot of good press also.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Jul 04, 2002, 11:13 PM
Lance Armstrong- 7 times!
Madison, Wisconsin
Joined Sep 2001
1,335 Posts
The switchback has excellent laser cutting, quick easy building, and is a great flyer. Something to start with might be one of the guillows free flight balsa kits. It will teach you a lot without making a mess out of a more expensive kit. They fly well too. Hans
flybike is offline Find More Posts by flybike
Old Jul 04, 2002, 11:15 PM
Formerly Black96Z
Mckinney, TX
Joined Apr 2002
765 Posts
hey hans, I was thinking the same thing, but do they have any laser cut kits?

David
Old Jul 04, 2002, 11:27 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Unfortunately, Guillows kits leave a lot to be desired. That goes for their laser cut ones as well. They have superb plans, but their parts don't always match up to them, and they use the heaviest wood possible. Even the laser cut parts are just laser cut versions of their old parts, so they still only sort of fit. That being said, Guillows kits are how I started to build kits about 20 years ago. People are doing wonderful things in converting some of their biplanes into electric slow flyers too, but for your first kit I wouldn't recommend tackling a feat like that
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jul 05, 2002, 06:43 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,490 Posts
SR Battery's Cutie, X250 or Bantum. You'll look long and hard and won't find a better engineered or documented kit than one of these.

< http://www.srbatteries.com/kits.htm >
gnofliwr is online now Find More Posts by gnofliwr