SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 03, 2006, 05:56 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,243 Posts
Discussion
Flying Big Planes on the Slope. Why?

As I'm seriously considering my first 3m plane for the slope, I asked myself why. With the bigger planes, you need bigger hills and bigger LZs, and you lose quite a bit of agility compared to the smaller ships.

I have a couple of 2m planes and while they aren't as aerobatic as the 60"s, they more than make up for it with all out speed and energy retention.

With the 3m, I'm looking forward to more of that, plus the added bonus of extra wing area - riding much higher and further out in the lift band (plus better visibility at any given altitude).

For those of you who fly big planes for sport (not racing) - why do you do it?
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2006, 05:57 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle

For those of you who fly big planes for sport (not racing) - why do you do it?
Because they fly much better.
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Old Apr 03, 2006, 06:13 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcosta
Eh, compared to what?

I like my big planes for what they are designed for. I like my F3F planes for F3F. I like my scale planes for "scale like" flying. But for heading out to the slope for just fun sloping I still take my little planes. Under 60"ers are the most fun for sport flying (other than DSing). They are way more maneuverable, they look faster (even though in most cases they are slower than big planes), they can be flown in more places and you don't break the bank when you pound one in.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Apr 03, 2006, 06:20 PM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
I think TFLG hit the nail on the head. Bigger planes are faster, cut through turbulence better and have more energy retention, but often are easier to damage, require more room to land, look slower and lose some agility.

They are all fun. Just depends on what mood you are in. If I had the choice, I would fly a big plane, but that is because I don't have any. Therefore, I only fly big planes when I fly my friends' planes, and I can really enjoy the extra speed.

If I were to choose a single plane to fly, it would probably be a 60"er.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
Old Apr 03, 2006, 06:21 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcosta
Define "better".

Dom,

Seems that the reasons you already stated sum it up best. Don't over think it. Give it a shot and judge for yourself. Only one person you need to satisfy in this hobby...YOU!
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Apr 03, 2006, 06:22 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Aug 2005
1,292 Posts
Because we can...

Steve
pinolefm1 is offline Find More Posts by pinolefm1
Old Apr 03, 2006, 06:29 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLift
Define "better".

Dom,

Seems that the reasons you already stated sum it up best. Don't over think it. Give it a shot and judge for yourself. Only one person you need to satisfy in this hobby...YOU!
Heh, I do tend to overthink things, don't I? I usually pick up planes without thinking enough, but when I've already sold three and will sell two more to help finance a single big bird (and still come up a bit short on $$), the overthinking comes naturally.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Apr 03, 2006, 06:34 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
Heh, I do tend to overthink things, don't I? I usually pick up planes without thinking enough, but when I've already sold three and will sell two more to help finance a single big bird (and still come up a bit short on $$), the overthinking comes naturally.
LOL! You are not alone in over-thinking things...and no comments from you Target! I do the same, and it's not a bad question to ask. As much as you seem to enjoy the efficiency of the molded planes, I think a 3M bird is a natural for you. Go for it...dude!
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Apr 03, 2006, 06:34 PM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
Dom,

Throwing the beast out into the wind seemed a bit nuts, but I just flew my first 3M... a 3.2M Storm. What a blast. I was amazed at how responsive it was having never flown anything close to this size. Air was light- 10-15. When I let it ride and it got on step it was a real thrill. Climb out was quick and effortless. Never did it feel at all unstable, or difficult. Only problem was a challenging landing zone. Even then, set-up on controls was decent enough and all that braking power made it easy to slow the thing down. I'm sure with some clear area to set it down, I'll manage just fine. Easier than the Pixel! I can't wait to fly this thing again- flying it was everything I love about sloping, but more... size does matter! Now to get it in some real wind.

Of course this is only a particular report from a still novice pilot on what I thought was a forgiving sailplane, but I wanted to share my experience flying something this scale. I'm sure you'll get lots of experts opinions, especially from slopers flying big scale birds.

Big, graceful, fast, whistling sailplane in flight at your control... so what's the question? Go for it man, you know you're gonna do it!
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Apr 03, 2006, 06:38 PM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,518 Posts
The same reason the Fermin fliers like their 100oz pss'rs, There is way more kinetic energy when you get the rocket rolling. The right 3M, loaded up to 11# will retain energy like gangbusters. They can cut thru the choppy air much better. This Saturday I got to watch cuzzin Dieter and Paul Naton flying their heavy 3M ships in formation half-pipes. Dieter had a Tempest loaded up to around 11# and Paul was flying his Phonix. Both were 3M V-tails, loaded up heavy, and they were smokin'!
Bad thing about watching Paul fly is it makes me want to step on my planes for being so slowwww.
winchdoc is online now Find More Posts by winchdoc
Old Apr 03, 2006, 06:39 PM
Gravity gets me down.
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Oct 2004
2,070 Posts
Hey, you could always post in the Scale forum. Then you'd probably hear that 3M is not big at all!!
wingbeat is offline Find More Posts by wingbeat
Old Apr 03, 2006, 06:46 PM
DCS
NorCal
Joined Nov 2003
426 Posts
Greetings.

The conditions and location where you typically fly should be a major factor in deciding what type of plane to fly. Espeically if that decision will involve a big-dollar moldie.

Example: I have an EPP ship that I've only been able to fly a few times because my local slope just doesn't have enough lift (consistently) for it. In retrospect, I should have looked carefully at what the other "regulars" were flying before I went with the EPP ship. Most of the Del Valle pilots fly at least 60" ships - with several flying much bigger moldies. On any given weekend they seem to be able to fly. Meanwhile, I'm often sidelined because of the high wing loading of my EPP sloper. And. . .I rarely see other EPP ships flying at Del Valle.

Bottom line: If there are lots of other big ships flying at your site, and if they often go home in one piece, then go for it. However, If you don't have room to safely land a big ship, then you may want to think twice.

Just my $.02

Ciao.

PS - If anyone is looking for a good, smaller, sturdy aerobat, my Super Scooter is for sale. PM me for details.
DCS is offline Find More Posts by DCS
Old Apr 03, 2006, 07:03 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stark
...I have an EPP ship that I've only been able to fly a few times because my local slope just doesn't have enough lift (consistently) for it...
Dave, I've been flying my piggy GulpSR for two years at Del Valle. Prior to that, I was flying my even-piggier AGR Sidewinder (48").

Del Valle produces lift that your Scooter will "Scoot" in -- you just need to be patient and wait for the Big Spring/Summer Sloping Season. We're right on the edge of it now. Once this Seattle Weather blows out, we'll be smack dab in good NorCal Sloping.

Don't throw the baby (Bowman's Scooter) out with the bathwater. After all, I can't even catch you with my GulpSR. That plane has yet to show you what it can really do!

Happy Flying ;-)

John
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv
Old Apr 03, 2006, 07:09 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLG
Eh, compared to what?

I like my big planes for what they are designed for. I like my F3F planes for F3F. I like my scale planes for "scale like" flying. But for heading out to the slope for just fun sloping I still take my little planes. Under 60"ers are the most fun for sport flying (other than DSing). They are way more maneuverable, they look faster (even though in most cases they are slower than big planes), they can be flown in more places and you don't break the bank when you pound one in.

TFLG
Brian,

The larger the plane the better it flies. Independently of what type of plane, it's a Reinolds number issue.
And I fly my MiraJ in places where I wouldn't dream of landing a molded 60".
I do like smaller planes, mainly PSS, and I always have a 60". Right now I have a Mini Ellipse with glider and electric fuse. But anywhere I can fly it I can fly a full sized Ellipse (as soon as I finish stripping the paintjob some idiot German did on it and re-paint the Ellipse 1 I bought on German e-bay).

CAVEAT: before any German feels offended, this guy is really an idiot. He just happens to be German, which goes to show you get them in every country. Before selling the plane on e-bay, as he wanted to take a nice picture to disguising the many repairs that were "not there", he grabbed some acrylic paint meant for walls and applied it with a thick brush, completely disfiguring a beautifull classic plane. It's been a pain in the to remove the paint and prepare everything to paint again. I am now left with the centre panel, the flaps, one aileron and the fuselage to finish, the tip panels and one of the ailerons are finally ready.
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Last edited by jcosta; Apr 03, 2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2006, 07:11 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLift
Define "better".
1 - faster
2 - smoother
3 - more controllable
4 - better thermalling capacity