HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2006, 04:33 PM
Fly it like you own it.
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
369 Posts
Question
Covering a foam plane? Glass it, iron-on, homebrew, silk??

I'm resurrecting my A-10 warthog ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499873 ) with brushless and retracts. Even with CF rods and ribbon for reinforcement, I still want a stronger feel to it and better looks.

I wanted to cover the plane in CoverLite because it is strong and light. but the Coverite glue you apply to the balsa before applying the covering, eats foam like it's going out of style. So much for that idea.

So I was going to just use my tried and true method of 1 part Acrylic primer, 1 part white glue, 1 part water and 1 part Microbeads to fill the imperfections and leave me a nice smooth finish to paint. But this isn't going to add any strength.

I'm real hung up on some sort of covering. I've heard a few people mention covering a foam plane in tissue paper with 50/50 white glue/water as a sort of "Poor man's fiberglass".

Does anyone have a method of doing this? Does it add considerable strength for the amount of weight it adds?

Any other ideas?

I've used monokote on large balsa planes but I would imagine the high temperatures and shrinkage would wreck the plane. Is there other "foam safe" iron-on coverings that don't shrink as much and are lower heat?

Thanks alot.
_Pattern_Man is offline Find More Posts by _Pattern_Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2006, 05:53 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,502 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491417

This thread is in parkflyers. Solarfilm is hard to beat for covering foam
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Apr 02, 2006, 05:58 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
try "silkspan" with your Acrylic primer formula. Silkspan is the tissue used for the old tissue and dopw finished Control line models. It comes in 3 weights, and possibly the light, more likely the medium would be what you want. I'm sure heavy would be too much.

Silkspan adds a lot of strength when doped onto balsa. It should do well for your purpose.

I have used silk cloth for a similar project, but it came out heavy. Might want to use it in high stress areas (or double layer the silkspan)

Silk plus yellow glue makes a lighter dihedral joint reinforcement than 2 oz fiberglass and epoxy. Silk is appx 10 times as strong as steel oz for oz. Fiberglass is not quite as strong as silk.

Epoxy doesn't really add as much strength as some people think... its ability to make up for less than perfect joints is where it shines. Just about any glue is stronger than the foam, balsa, spruce or plywood used in the models.

For a .40 size white styro wing I have used grocery bag paper and a mix of yellow glue and water then "primed with water based poly paint... stiff as if I'd used 2 oz fiberglass and epoxy but lighter. (probably not as strong as fiberglassing, but more than adequate for the airplane)

There's also "Towerkote" and Econokote... relatively light and low temp versions of Monokote. But I've never tried to apply them to GWS's foam. I tend to think the GWS foam wouldn't take as much heat as the white styro I've used them on. The temp for good shrinkage of these is getting close to the temp that causes white (beer cooler) styro to deform.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Apr 02, 2006, 09:11 PM
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
165 Posts
If you want to reinforce and strengthen GWS foam, I would highly recommend going the fibreglass route. This thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=189838 or http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...x&pagenumber=1

is a good place to start.

I would suggest 0.75oz glass cloth, sealed with water based polyurethane, (not epoxy) for the A-10. A number of coats of the polyurethane would give a very strong surface.

Given the amount of work you will be doing on the A-10, using “real” fiberglass would not be out of line.

Good luck.
Dr_DOM is offline Find More Posts by Dr_DOM
Old Apr 02, 2006, 09:32 PM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,003 Posts
I'm just finishing up my F-106 projuect and glassed it with 0.75 oz cloth and WBPU. Added 1oz to the total weight of the model. Now if I can only figure out how to airbrush again after 20 years I should come out with an airplane weighing in at around 23 oz.

Look up the finishing techniques by J Morgan, John goes into great detail on how to finish a foam model, an execlent thread.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Old Apr 03, 2006, 07:30 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,015 Posts
Do an AltaVista translation of this site. Look under Tips and Tricks
http://home.arcor.de/sirdidi/
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Dec 21, 2006, 04:37 PM
United States, SC, Okatie
Joined Jan 2002
233 Posts
silk and glue plus gesso for foam covering

I have just covered a Formosa II with light silk- one yard from fabric store does 2 F-II's; used aliphatic glue (furniture, Elmers, etc.) thinned with water.
Silk is much lighter than firerglass, some say stronger. Enough silk for plane weighed less than 1/2 oz. Silk can conform around 3-D shapes.After sanding and spackling, Hold silk against foam, brush on thinned glue. Takes a little fussing to keep the silk down until dry. Heat gun helps a lot. Overlap pieces of silk. After covering, spackle any rough places. Then brush on artists acrylic gesso- from art/craft store- dries fast, sands well. First coat fills, second coat covers. Gesso is pure white. After getting a good surface on gesso, add trim paint, camo, etc. Then spray model with clear acrylic spray can, matte or gloss.

Silk and glue makes foam parts amazingly stiff and strong- no carbon fibre is needed to stiffen wing, etc.! Weight added is minimal- few ounces. Plane can look as good as moulded fiberglass, depending on how much work you are willing to do.
sammy is offline Find More Posts by sammy
Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:16 AM
Master of 1 point landing
Naperville, IL
Joined Jul 2005
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
try "silkspan" with your Acrylic primer formula. Silkspan is the tissue used for the old tissue and dopw finished Control line models. It comes in 3 weights, and possibly the light, more likely the medium would be what you want. I'm sure heavy would be too much.
I have used slikspan and minwax polycrylic with very good results on foamies. You can get a glass smooth finish if you want. I found it helpful to seal PS type foam with polycrylic and lightweight spackle before you add the first coat with the silkspan. It keeps the foam from sucking up the polycrylic and keeps the weight down.
ImaBiggles is offline Find More Posts by ImaBiggles