SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 01, 2006, 10:23 PM
Joined Jan 2006
13 Posts
Discussion
Ace foam wings are available! Who has plans?

eHobbies.com has the restocked the Ace foam wings. I just ordered a set of each. Very reasonably priced! Below are the descriptions and eHobbies part numbers.

Thunder Tiger ACE R/C Mini Foam Wing (Tapered) - AS6073
Thunder Tiger ACE R/C Mini Foam Wing (Constant) - AS6074

Have at it! I'm going to build a guppy glider and perhaps a 1/2 stick. Does anyone remember the 2T? Who has plans?

Mike
singlestick is offline Find More Posts by singlestick
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2006, 09:35 PM
Joined Apr 2006
3 Posts
Foam Wing Kits !!!

Mike: I looked at ehobbies at the foam wing kits you mentioned but didn't see any mention of what wingspan or chord they are. Do you know??
If so please let me know. Thanks

jackpitt
jackpitt is offline Find More Posts by jackpitt
Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:35 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,618 Posts
It's in the fine print:

Tapered, 17% semi-symmetrical airfoil, 17 7/8 x 4 -- I suspect the root chord is 5 1/2.

Constant, 17% semi-symmetrical airfoil, 17 7/8 x 5 1/2

andrew
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Apr 17, 2006, 02:09 PM
Joined Apr 2006
3 Posts
jackpitt

Andrew8020

You stated that the foam wings are 17.5" - isn't that a pretty short wing?
I would like to find some about twice that long. Do you know of any on the market? If so let me know. Thanks

jackpitt
Old Apr 17, 2006, 03:24 PM
Joined Nov 2004
81 Posts
17 inches and some PER PANEL
gcedillo is offline Find More Posts by gcedillo
Old Apr 17, 2006, 04:52 PM
Joined Apr 2006
3 Posts
jackpitt

so that would mean approx a 35" wingspan then on the 1/2A foam wing kits!!!
Old Apr 17, 2006, 05:16 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcedillo
17 inches and some PER PANEL
Jack --

It's like GCEDILLO said, 17+ inches per panel with two panels per set. If you add a wedge center or tip balsa ribs, then you'll be sitting right at 36".

I find sanding a wedge center rib a bit much, so just usually block up a tip of one panel and sand an angle into the root then buttglue with Elmer's ProBond. Nylon strapping tape also works wonders for stiffening these panels.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 05:32 PM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,031 Posts
international shipping

ehobbies don;t ship outside those states rigth?
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Apr 17, 2006, 05:57 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmulder
ehobbies don;t ship outside those states rigth?
The site www.ehobbies.com is for US orders only. Try international.ehobbies.com for outside the US.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 08:26 PM
Rockledge, Florida
Joined Feb 2002
96 Posts
Look here for some plans that could use these wings:

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/

The Ace Pacer and Mach None plans are presented there with builtup wings, but the original kits used the foam wings. Build either one of these with modern light weight radio equipment and you've got a 1/2A full house pattern ship. They are a blast to fly.
Steve Wachowski is online now Find More Posts by Steve Wachowski
Old Apr 17, 2006, 08:35 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,518 Posts
Great site Steve!

The Pacer and Mach None bring back many good memories! Great planes and wonderful flying planes.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2006, 12:02 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wachowski
The Ace Pacer and Mach None plans are presented there with builtup wings, but the original kits used the foam wings.
I don't have a set of the newer Thunder Tiger wings, but several of the guys in the other forum have indicated that they are lighter than the original ACE molded wings. Maybe SINGLESTICK will give us a weight and quality report.

The PACER has a 42" span and the Mach None is 40" -- you would need a tapered set and a constant chord set to fill in the center section. Both are a little large for the standard .049, would fly well with a NORVEL .061 and be a real performer with a NORVEL .074. Both are slightly overbuilt by today's standard and could benefit from a bit of a diet. With care in building, lightweight covering and light equipment, you might bring them in around 16 to 18 oz.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 08:54 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,518 Posts
Quote:
The PACER has a 42" span and the Mach None is 40" -- you would need a tapered set and a constant chord set to fill in the center section.
Correct - both in kit form included a constant cord center section of foam to increase the wingspans.

Mine flew great back in the day with the .049's and full size radio equipment! We seem to need more power now for some reason.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2006, 07:00 PM
Rockledge, Florida
Joined Feb 2002
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew0820
The PACER has a 42" span and the Mach None is 40" -- you would need a tapered set and a constant chord set to fill in the center section. Both are a little large for the standard .049, would fly well with a NORVEL .061 and be a real performer with a NORVEL .074. Both are slightly overbuilt by today's standard and could benefit from a bit of a diet. With care in building, lightweight covering and light equipment, you might bring them in around 16 to 18 oz.
I won't argue the current theory that "lighter is better" but both of these flew just fine with TD .049 power.
Steve Wachowski is online now Find More Posts by Steve Wachowski
Old Apr 18, 2006, 08:12 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wachowski
<snip> ....but both of these flew just fine with TD .049 power.
No argument from here when flying with a TD, but I don't think the Pacer would be much fun with a reedie.

However, the unfortunate fact is that the future of COX engines looks pretty dim. Apparently, engines are being assembled from remaining inventory stock with no expectations of future runs. If we look at the .049's currently in production, there is the FORA, CYCLON, CS, GZ and BRODAK (which looks a lot like a CS to me) -- I'm sure I've left out several other speciality engines. VA's are evidently out of production and the NORVEL .049 has been dropped.

The TD's were the engine to have (I've got several and a couple still NIB), but cost and parts availability are beginning to impact buying decisions. If someone asked for a recommendation to power either the Mach None or Pacer, it would be a NORVEL, CS or AP .061 (in that order). You get a workable throttle, muffler and future parts inventory. I've got a box full of COX engines, but everytime I've replaced a COX with a NORVEL .061, I've been pleased. COX Hi-Comp heads are $10 if you can find them, however, you can use a Galbreath/Nelson combination and replace plugs for 3.50.

I'm probably one of those people Mike was talking about -- I do like a little mo' power. You guys are completely correct in that the TD's will haul the mail, but given the current status of the market, I'll probably stick with the .061. (I will confess that I did order 10 of the COX .049 Sure Starts when they were on sale )