HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2006, 05:37 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Discussion
Duracell 2500 MAh NiMh AA's any good?

I've been using and recommending Energizer 2500 MAh NiMh cells for use in receiver packs and replacement transmitter packs. Today I bought a pack of these Duracell 2500 MAh cells, which I expect to perform about the same as the Energizers. Has anyone tried these yet?

Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2006, 06:23 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
I haven't tried those but please let us know. I'm using the 2500mah NiMh cells for my radio. I can fly for a week or so without charging at first. Now they're kinda crapping out. Still get a good half to a week of flying. It likes to hang around 9.8-9.6v

-Tomi
tomi is offline Find More Posts by tomi
Old Apr 02, 2006, 08:09 AM
Kat Builder
Bellflower, Calif.
Joined Apr 2004
712 Posts
Hi Folks...

I have been useing the Duracell 2500s for the last couple of months, and I wouldn't be without them !!!

Like ALL NiMh batteries, they have a high self discharge rate, but I just top them off every other day or so. When I do that, I also "double peak" them (while still warm), and have been getting real good service from them.

I recommend them. I have been paying $9.95, for a set of 4 at Target.

Bob

Bob Reynolds
ComeUpHere
Bobber Bob is offline Find More Posts by Bobber Bob
Old Apr 02, 2006, 08:39 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Hmm... I've never heard anyone recommend "double peaking" before. Why would you do that? If it was a proper and advantageous way to charge a battery then wouldn't battery chargers do it automatically? Do you have any reason to believe it does something positive and desirable, rather than slightly overcharge the battery and shorten its life, as one would naturally expect?
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Apr 02, 2006, 09:05 AM
Kat Builder
Bellflower, Calif.
Joined Apr 2004
712 Posts
Hi Miami Mike...

It may very well shorten the life of the batteries, but I have NOT been able to observe that "feature" in my recient years of using NiMh batteries.

The practice of "double peaking" a NiMh battery, came from noticing that they seem to like to be charged warm, and the first "peak" warms them up, and the second "peak" finishes the charge.

How we "happened" onto that practice, was that the first NiMh batteries we got had no specific charger (one with their charge profile built in), so we just charged them on or NiCd chargers, that looked for a more defind "peak", which the NiMh batteries do not have, so those NiCd chargers over charged the NiMh batteries (and warmed them up).

This DID seem to hurt the life of the early NiMh batteries, but gave a slightly higher voltage at end of charge. So we put up with the reduced life, to get the higher voltage at "toss off".

The newer (from at least 5 years ago), have seemed to like the "warm charge", so a lot of us continue that practice.

But, as you are finding out, in tha area of "the right way to do things", there is as moch "voodoo", as there is science.

Bob

Bob Reynolds
ComeUpHere
Bobber Bob is offline Find More Posts by Bobber Bob