HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2001, 10:32 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,927 Posts
Reversing a brushless motor

Well I'm taking my 1406/2Y out of my fan as it's just sitting with no airplane to fit into, and I'm going to fit it into a Modeltech EX300S ARF with a gearbox. Besided the retiming, I have to reverse the motor. I think I've read that you just have to switch two of the three wires, and that it doesn't matter which two. Is this correct? I'm using the Aveox L260 controller so it's sensored. I can't find the instructions for the controller at the moment...DOH!

Thanks guys.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2001, 11:59 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,398 Posts
Usta be, maybe still can; download the ESC and motor instructions (pdf) off the Aveox site. Could e-mail them if you need.

I use Kontronik sensorless, so I just swap leads.

Got a GB in mind? the 5mm shaft makes this a bit of a challange. If you have special ordered it with 1/8" the MEC box would work well.
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jul 09, 2001, 03:01 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,140 Posts

Ed, I had good luck with the new Jeti sensorless 40A controller (with BEC) & the 1406/2y. You might want to consider it - as a replacement if you ever get tired of your L160 sensored controller, timing, sensor wires etc.
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Jul 09, 2001, 03:29 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Oops.. as pointed out in the other forum, you still have to retime it!
ARGH - guess I'm getting too used to these sensorless controllers myself!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 09, 2001, 03:37 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,927 Posts
Well shoot I forgot about the dip switch. I found the instructions on the site, it says just flip one switch to off and I'm set! Gotta change the timing of course. Cool, sounds fairly easy. Don't know if I'll measure currents when retiming or just offset it as much as it is now.
I ordered a 13 turn 5mm Astro pinion from New Creations. I have a Superbox from MEC with a 60 tooth spur, that'll give me a 4.6/1 ration, and I also have a 3 to 1 Master Airscrew box...not sure how many teeth the spur has on that one, gotta take it apart. I'd like to get a 10 tooth pinion but with the 5mm shaft that's out of the question. I'm looking for a fairly high ratio since the 1406/2Y is a hot motor. I want lots of prop for good vertical performance. Now to get hacking on the fuselage of the Extra to get rid of some dead weight....
Old Jul 09, 2001, 04:18 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,398 Posts
Wait Ed, wait. Not all Superboxes are the same!

The MEC Superbox uses stander 48 pitch RC car pinions. The AF stuff (Their Superbox as well) use helical gears.

I'm pretty sure the AF pinion won't work with the MEC box.
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jul 09, 2001, 04:54 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,927 Posts
Not sure on that one JRB! New Creation's site didn't say helical or not, but there may not have been enough room in the description box. He said the part number had changed from AF5120 to AF755, which makes me suspect it might be helical. I just emailed Kirk to ask. I looked on the Astro site for the part number but couldn't find it. If it is helical, oh well, probably means fate is pointing me toward an Astro gearbox anyway.
Old Jul 09, 2001, 05:35 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,140 Posts

4.6:1 GB sounds more like a glider gear ratio..? I am converting the .25 Me-109 (similar to the extra) but I will be using a lower gear ratio, will be in the 2-3:1 ratio. Keep in mind that above 11 by x, the prop will hit the ground - my Me-109 has a really short LG. I have a three bladed prop to try as well. And I might try the Jeti 30/3 on direct drive as well. Sorry Chris, I know - no ducting anywhere here...

Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Jul 10, 2001, 12:38 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Covered in Science.. flip the DIP switch!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W