Old Apr 01, 2006, 08:27 AM
Thermal Junkie
Austin Texas
Joined Dec 2005
909 Posts
Build Log
New-Bee Builds Pulsar 2-5E

Well Sports Fans,

It's time to watch the New-Bee build another Sailplane.
My building skills are weak, so you can watch me destroy a perfectly good, great looking sailplane, right before your very eyes.

I have 5 months of flying under my belt and have built or cobbled together a Renny. I suffered much pain with that build, but after 3 weeks of intensive therapy with my Physiatrist, and now that my stuttering has stopped, I think I can take on another sailplane project.

I’m building the Pulsar 2.5E.

Oh….. it would have been nice to get some instructions with this plane…. But I’ve come to realize that in this Sailplane Model Industry, that my vision of what will occur with my order, is in direct and opposite conflict with what the Dealer’s vision of my order is. This is not a Knock on any particular dealer, but a Knock on the whole Industry. Oh.. well… who needs some stinking instructions anyway!?

Maybe the instructions would have told me, what the brown thing in the photo is?
I think it has a Ballast tube? I think maybe servo’s fit in the trays.
I did order the Sailplane option with the Pulsar. Is it for Sailplane servos only?

And the thing will just not fit into the fuse.

What the heck is that Brown thing at the bottom of the photo?

Don the New-Bee
truestorys is offline Find More Posts by truestorys
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2006, 08:45 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Cool. Look forward to your build. You spent the big bucks! Very nice choice. Have my guesses as what it is (electronics tray that needs fitting?) but I'm a intermediate at sailplanes and will let the advanced guys speak up.
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Last edited by WaterDog; Apr 01, 2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2006, 09:41 AM
Uniblab
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined Oct 2004
877 Posts
This is just a guess, but did you try flipping the Thing over? It looks to me like the flat end should point towards the nose of the plane.
rwmson is offline Find More Posts by rwmson
Old Apr 01, 2006, 02:48 PM
daveosoar
hampshire
Joined Mar 2006
607 Posts
Try fitting it vertically,
Dave
daveosoar is offline Find More Posts by daveosoar
Old Apr 01, 2006, 05:35 PM
Thermal Junkie
Austin Texas
Joined Dec 2005
909 Posts
Just needed to clear my thinking with Beer

Well…. After a 12 pack of Bud Lite, and trying to make the stupid brown thing work for 3 hours, I just took the stupid brown thing and threw it against the garage door!

When it hit the door, the brown tube pushed back about 3 inches. When my daughter heard the noise, she came out to see why her dad was cussing and throwing things.

She picked up the brown thing.

Looked at the Fuse.

And pushed the G.D. thing all the way in!!

I sat there stunned for about half an hour and drank 3 more Bud Lites.

Don the New-Bee
Old Apr 01, 2006, 06:01 PM
Thermal Junkie
Austin Texas
Joined Dec 2005
909 Posts
Good Looking Wings

Here's a photo of the wings.

They are very nicley done.

I hope they go together, so I don't have to throw them against a wall.

Don
Old Apr 01, 2006, 06:23 PM
electron liberator
United States, GA, Suwanee
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
Don,

Very nice. I also have this one and was about to start a build thread on mine too. Mine did not come with the brown piece. I bought mine from SoaringUSA (known as the Bingo there). Also, I have instructions with mine. Here is a link to the PDF file.

Jason
jaywatay is offline Find More Posts by jaywatay
Old Apr 01, 2006, 06:31 PM
Thermal Junkie
Austin Texas
Joined Dec 2005
909 Posts
Downloaded Instructions

Thanks Jason.

I just downloaded the instructions.

I'm starting to believe that the Brown thing is for Sailplane only.
No motor. The round brown thing is a ballast tube and it's sealed on one end.

But I may try and make it work.

Please add your build here. I will learn from you.

I'm going to take this build slow. I only have the plane. No servo's, No motor, no Battery. No nothing. I will watch and learn from you.

Don
Old Apr 01, 2006, 07:25 PM
electron liberator
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
Don,

No problem. I can post my build here as well. I just did not want to hijack your thread.
I have everything I need to build it and I plan to start probably tomorrow. Meanwhile, I also, took a few pics.

I think you are right about the brown part. Looks like it is meant for ballast.
Old Apr 01, 2006, 07:50 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,116 Posts
I don't know why the pulsars come with the same color top and bottom.
I painted my blue pulsar cub yellow on the top with a yellow stripe on the bottom.
Much better!
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Apr 03, 2006, 10:00 PM
electron liberator
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
I measured the component weights put them in the below table.
Old Apr 03, 2006, 10:07 PM
electron liberator
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
Here are some build pics of what I have done so far.

I started routing the servo cables in the center and wing panels.

First, I put a piece of packing tape that completely covered the servo bay and then took a hobby knife and cutout the covering over the servo bay. The tape just keeps the covering from tearing.

The first pic shows how I routed the cable with a piece of pushrod. I basically taped the cable to the pushrod and inserted to the servo bay.

The second pic shows the servo glued to the back of the spar and to the side of the servo bay. I first cut the tabs off the servos and then put a piece of heatshrink over them for easy removal later if necessary. Then I used goop to glue in the servo.

The third pic is of the wing center panel with the cables routed. This was tricky because the predrilled holes in the ribs were a little small for the heavier gage wire I used for my servo extensions. If I had to do it again I would use a thinner gage wire. I used the same technique by using pushrods to pull and push the cables through the wing.
Old Apr 06, 2006, 09:47 PM
electron liberator
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
A little more building tonight.

I trimmed all the servo extension cables and soldered them to an MPI 6 pin connector.

For the flap servos I offset the control arm since the I will only use them in one direction.

This is the rx side of the MPI connector. You can see all the leads ready to plug into the rx. For the 6 pin connector I joined all the red wires and all the black wires and soldered them to the outside pins. Then the 4 center pins get the individual servo signal wires.

I test fit the wing to the center panel and you can see how the servo connectors slid into the wing. I did not push the wing fully together in the pic.

Then I fit the whole wing togther to test the wiring harness. Everything worked.
Old Apr 07, 2006, 04:58 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,116 Posts
I think you're doing a heck of a nice job there! I like your wing stand/holder too!
Not to beat a dead horse, but, do you prefer light top/dark bottom? Do you care?
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Apr 07, 2006, 05:59 AM
electron liberator
Joined Mar 2003
4,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkens4
I think you're doing a heck of a nice job there! I like your wing stand/holder too!
Not to beat a dead horse, but, do you prefer light top/dark bottom? Do you care?
Thanks!

I prefer lighter colors on top and darker on bottom. I probably will try to do something on bottom to help distinguish between the two. Another thing I have seen people do is to but reflective tape on the leading edge.