HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2001, 04:34 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
EAM and the WB-57F

On my visit this week to EAM, I could not resist getting hooked up with a WB/RB-57F. kit. (EAM has taken over the very nice Savage semi-kit of this unusual bird, designed for two Minifan 480s and suitable motors). EAM now has the foam cores AND the laser cut parts ready now plus the glass nacelles, plans, etc. The instructions are being revised just a little.

I have been lucky enough to do all the RB-57F museum and history models created during the last 15 years at our shop at Lockheed Martin (which used to be General Dyamics/ Fort Worth Divison, which is where the RB-57F conversions were built in the early 60's)

Since this is one of my favorite aircraft of all times, I volunteered to help out a little and add the info and graphics required for doing the RB-57F verson.

The devil is talking to me about adding the other two small podded turbojets that the RB-57F carried under the wing for very high altitude missions. They would be subject to landing damage, though.

I am committed to having this bird at DEAF 2001 in Oct. Started work last night!

Even though the model does well on two Speed 480 BB Race, I'm leaning towards two Plett 200-20-6 motors and 20 cells for this model.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2001, 12:36 AM
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Joined Nov 2000
667 Posts
Greetings Tom!

I've got the semi-kit from the Savage Bros. earlier on - very nice drawings and nacelles. How do you plan on doing the paint scheme - were most of the Air Force versions in natural metal?

Seeing all the photos WB-57F at the MWE2001 meet really impressed me with its presence in the air.

Best of luck - hopefully I'll be there in October at DEAF2001 to see it fly!

Fly Fast! Mark
Mark Nankivil is offline Find More Posts by Mark Nankivil
Old Jul 05, 2001, 05:49 AM
Willich / Germany
Joined Nov 1998
549 Posts
Hi Thomas,

switching to HP 200-20-6 motors will give you some extra 50% of thrust, but 20 cells would eat up part of the performance gain.

As both motors consume about 42 Amps from 10 cells, I would use ten RC 2400 cells and run them in parallel, or if you want more flight time, RC 3000 cells.

Oliver
WeMoTec is offline Find More Posts by WeMoTec
Old Jul 05, 2001, 08:28 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Yep, the USAF RB-57Fs were mostly natural metal, with some gray and flat black areas.
Big national markings.

The metal finish is pretty tough to do well, but I have seen decent results with chrome silver Monokote and better results with Black Baron chrome trim sheets.

Oliver, great point on the battery setup. I knew that, just had not thought it through yet. With the Pletts, no reason not to do a 10XRC3000 pack and parallel motors. I have a nice, new slim-50be ESC that would handle the 42 amp load.

Dan and Mark, thanks for the nice comments.
I think when EAM gets this this one going, it will be a heck of a kit!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2001, 01:06 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas B:
I am committed to having this bird at DEAF 2001 in Oct. Started work last night!

Even though the model does well on two Speed 480 BB Race, I'm leaning towards two Plett 200-20-6 motors and 20 cells for this model.
Congratulations, Thomas.

I suspect that the construction of the model will go faster than you think, especially since you don't have to cut out the parts. I'm looking forward to seeing your model. Please post pics once it's finished. It sounds like you're doing the USAF paint job. Is this correct?

I think the biggest improvement you'll get with the stronger motors will be in the climb rate. You should be able to take it OOS on the setup you describe. (Scale flight profile? )

Again, congratulations!

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Jul 06, 2001, 10:08 AM
Jimfrisky
United States, CA, Simi Valley
Joined Jan 2001
432 Posts
GOT THIS SITE ON THE B-57 GOOD STUFF HERE http://b-57canberra.org/index.htm
JIMFRISKY is offline Find More Posts by JIMFRISKY
Old Jul 06, 2001, 09:24 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Not a bad little B-57 site. Not a lot on the radically different RB-57F, but there was a pic or two.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2001, 10:43 AM
Jimfrisky
Joined Jan 2001
432 Posts
GLAD YOU LIKED IT. I READ IT COVER TO COVER VERY INTERESTING . I SEE EAM IS ALMOST GOT THE KIT READY ! JIM
Old Jul 08, 2001, 10:51 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Speaking of B-57s......there is probably a normal B-57 in the kit of the WB/RB-57F somewhere.

I had a couple of hours at the USAF museum today and was studying the B-57 there. New wing cores, new nacelles, new nose and vertical tail would easily convert the Savage/EAM model into a normal B-57. (The exact reverse of what GD did in full scale when they created the first RB-57F...

Personally, I'm much fonder of the big wing bird, but some might like a normal B-57 or even a reversion all the way back to the Canberra.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2001, 02:36 AM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas B:
New wing cores, new nacelles, new nose and vertical tail would easily convert the Savage/EAM model into a normal B-57.
Yup. That's about all it would take. The wing center-section and wing mounts would have to be modified slightly to give the wing panels the necessary dihedral, then presto, chango... Martin B-57.

Add a new canopy and badda-bing, badda-boom... English Electric Canberra.

The small-wing B-57/Canberras would be a lot sportier to fly. And aerobatics would definitely be approved.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Old Jul 09, 2001, 09:24 AM
Gravity Is My Friend !!!
Lewisville, Texas, United States
Joined Mar 2000
1,303 Posts
already there, I am with ya guys, the fiberglass fuse option will make this a snap.

EAMRC is offline Find More Posts by EAMRC
Old Jul 09, 2001, 10:27 AM
Jimfrisky
Joined Jan 2001
432 Posts
Heres more 57s im sure most have this site but &http://www.wpafb.af.mil/cgi/search?.db=museum&.app=museum&path=%2Fmuseum&query =b-57&search_option=or
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/fta/fta.htm
injoy jim
Old May 17, 2004, 11:44 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
It's back, at last!

Bringing this very old thread back to life, at last.

Needless to say, the WB-57F got terminally delayed, due to some ongoing personal and proffessional issues. I took some time out to help a couple of my best friends get their hobby business off the ground, as well. I am certain that if I would have had a dog, he would have died as well... Circumstance at home until recently made it so that small ARFs and simple projects were about all I could work on. Dave at EAM has been far more patient than I ever would have been, under these circumstances. I know there are other people out there waiting for the kit and I offer my humble apologies to them. I know that Dave sent out a couple of other kits for a beta build build as well, and the sad thing is that as far as I am behind, I understand that they are even FURTHER behind.

In any case, the model is certainly not completely dormant and I hope to have it flying in July, most likely at Mid America 2004, only a few years late....

Here is the latest picture to show where it is at, now.

Building tasks left:

Cockpit hatch and canopy
Overwing fairing and wing hold downs
Close out the aft fuse
tail fairing blocks
install the nacelle tops

Then it is on to covering, finishing and equipping. Some experiments with chrome monokote have lead me to believe that the white WB-57F is a lovely color scheme to use, after all...

The fans and exhaust ducts have been in place already and the fans are built up and ready to go with HP 200-25-4 brushed powerplants. The model is mostly sanded out, to where it is now.

You can just see the split elevator pushrod in the aft fuse at this resolution.

Hmmm..... technology has left behind my choice of motors, but we will stick with it for now.

I will be posting some more of the earlier build photos over the next few weeks. Anyone that has been waiting for a WB-57F may now stone and kick me as required.....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; May 17, 2004 at 11:55 PM.