HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 31, 2006, 02:28 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Colwyn Bay, North Wales, UK
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Help!
Quick Question, Any Input Would Be Appreciated!

Hi all,

Slowly puttin my Zoom/Shogun back together, this time with Daves beltdrive conversion, and need to start thinking about electronics placment.

Currently got two ideas.
#1: Have gyro (GY401) mounted over tail boom, using MJP mount (http://www.grandrc.com/inc/sdetail/3113, only have the gyro bit), RX (Schulze 8.35) on the front sloing bit, and ESC on the bottom of the frame.

Bad thing with this, is that the gyro is in a bad place, not helped by the fact that its even higher up becuase of Daves belt tensioners e.t.c. Picture shows paddles at far back position, although I can easily get them to touch by pushing the paddle down.
But it does have all the bits pretty far from each other, and I like the additional CF of the gyro mount

#2 Gyro in the middle of the frame, just behind the battery. RX still on the slanted bit, and ESC below frame again.

Good thing is that the gyro is pretty well protected (not hard to get to screws on it though). However, ESC and gyro are pretty close (although Im using a pretty good RX...?), and the gyro, which is heavy, is near the bottom of the heli, so its not good for the vertical C of G (more pendulum effect).

So I guess its mainly 'where to put the gyro', seeing as the other parts stay in the same place.

Apart from the ways above, any other simple ways to mount the gyro, or any of the other electronics?
Cant mount it under the boom becuase the motore and tail servos in the way
Oh yeah, if I go with #1, I suppose I could mount the RX behind the batt, keep it protected, but it would mean I wouldnt be able to mount the lipo as far back (about 1/2 inch).

Cheers, Duane
Minimole is offline Find More Posts by Minimole
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2006, 03:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2003
4,747 Posts
#2 is my pic if it doesnt effect the performance of the gyro from feed back from the reciever or esc.
will p3 is offline Find More Posts by will p3
Old Mar 31, 2006, 04:38 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Thanks.

Yeah, the closeness to the other electronics is my main worry...
Can anyone else shed any light on that setup?

Cheers, Duane
Old Mar 31, 2006, 04:48 PM
Kids. Please Back Up!
Joined Dec 2005
249 Posts
mabee a plate on the bottom of the frame toward the rear. is there enough room?
jeepson33s@yahoo is offline Find More Posts by jeepson33s@yahoo
Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:23 PM
Sponsered By My Wallet!
Joined May 2004
5,559 Posts
Ill probably end up going with #2, dont want to risk my gyro...
Ill push the ESC as far back as possible, should be at least 1inch between it and the gyro, not much I know, but better than nothing
Hope the C of G will be OK, if its too far forward, Ill shift the tail servo back.

Cheers, Duane
Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:27 PM
Aberdeen,Scotland, UK
Joined Jun 2005
1,309 Posts
How about pic #1 but with your gyro mount swung over 180deg. so the gyro is underneath,and the servo on top?.

Edit: ok ok, ive thought it through..... ,,i mean who wants an extra link to get the tail control rod hooked up....
McDanger is offline Find More Posts by McDanger
Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:31 PM
Aberdeen,Scotland, UK
Joined Jun 2005
1,309 Posts
I'll now go with the jeeps suggestion,considering i have the same thing made for my gyro,i shouldve suggested it first.
McDanger is offline Find More Posts by McDanger
Old Mar 31, 2006, 06:12 PM
/bin/ksh
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2005
3,363 Posts
When I read the thread title i thought hey a chance to give a quick heliman style one liner
I was thinking were I was to place it on my shogun as well. Underside of frame to the front of the tail servo (make a plate) and move the servo back some if you need to make room. Easy access to adjust if needed.

I like #2 alot too though.
Steve_C is offline Find More Posts by Steve_C
Old Mar 31, 2006, 07:34 PM
Stratford upon Avon
Joined Jul 2004
2,502 Posts
#2 looks good providing you do not see any glitching... do some test flights (close in hovers etc. in 'your' field) and check the glitch counter on the RX.

The only alternative I can think of is to use #1 but move the gyro in closer to the main shaft to get better clearance from the flybar. You'll need to add an extended mounting plate to the existing mount for the gyro to sit happily - ideally a piece of CF plate.

EDIT: took another look at your photo and there seems to be plenty of room to move the gyro forward in #1. Try #2, if you get glitching then build and extended mounting plate and move it forward from the #1 position is my best shot.
ukgroucho is offline Find More Posts by ukgroucho