HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2006, 05:49 PM
Joined Aug 2005
169 Posts
Question
Which Balsa 3D/Pattern Mini Edge, Katana, or Extra?

I think I'm ready for my first balsa model ARF. I've been flying
an R3D, a Mini R3D, a Tocatta, and a Formosa regularly and have them
under control (most of the time). I can hover and knife-edge the
R3D's just fine and can land a 20 oz plane on it's landing gear without
bending or breaking it anymore. My Himax 2025-4200 power system
and 2200 mah 4.75"x1.5"x3/4" 3S 10c batteries need to fit (both in
size and power) whatever plane I build next.

Looking at planes such as this from PA, Fliton, E-Flite, Hyperion. Any comments on:

1. size of the space for the battery?
2. stick mount option?
3. flight characteristics (i'd like a plane I could land slowly if needed)?
4. availability of spare parts?
5. Durability?
6. 3D vs. Pattern

Thanks,

Jon
jumpinj is offline Find More Posts by jumpinj
Last edited by jumpinj; Mar 30, 2006 at 09:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2006, 07:14 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Those are some good choices but the fliton edge and extra are setup for an outrunner. A fair amount of hacking would probably be needed on either to get a geared motor to work. The PA katana is substantially larger than the other two but would probably be the best choice for your power setup. There is quite a bit of room in the front of the katana for different size batteries. I have used the thin packs like the Thunderpowers as well as the older square packs like the polyquests and irates. Set up well the katana floats very well...the rudder is too small IMO for easy hovering and there seems to be a fair amount of wing rock in a harrier but it is tolerable. The two fliton planes (I have only flown the extra) are the best I have ever seen at doing harriers. Hovering is still a bit of challenge but they slow down pretty well for landing. They are built very light though and are somewhat fragile.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Mar 30, 2006, 08:11 PM
Vancouver Island
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
papasmurf,

Would this help Jon out with the Edge or Extra?

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=715

Cheers,
Mike
grizzlyone is offline Find More Posts by grizzlyone
Old Mar 30, 2006, 08:18 PM
Joined Aug 2005
169 Posts
Hmm, maybe the E-flight Edge then (setup for stick)

Thanks for the info papasmurf,

I'll check out the Katana. Also, maybe the E-flite Mini Edge would
be a choice too.

Thanks,

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf
Those are some good choices but the fliton edge and extra are setup for an outrunner. A fair amount of hacking would probably be needed on either to get a geared motor to work. The PA katana is substantially larger than the other two but would probably be the best choice for your power setup. There is quite a bit of room in the front of the katana for different size batteries. I have used the thin packs like the Thunderpowers as well as the older square packs like the polyquests and irates. Set up well the katana floats very well...the rudder is too small IMO for easy hovering and there seems to be a fair amount of wing rock in a harrier but it is tolerable. The two fliton planes (I have only flown the extra) are the best I have ever seen at doing harriers. Hovering is still a bit of challenge but they slow down pretty well for landing. They are built very light though and are somewhat fragile.
jumpinj is offline Find More Posts by jumpinj
Old Mar 30, 2006, 08:36 PM
Verified Long Time Member
United States, CA, Newport Beach
Joined Jan 2006
266 Posts
if your going with the himax 2025, i would go with the quiet storm or prodigy by fliton. I have the quiet storm and it flys beautifully, very responsive, crisp, exceptional build quaulity and steady at slow speeds... a lot better looking too. goodluck with whatever decision you go with.
ImFly1234 is offline Find More Posts by ImFly1234
Old Mar 30, 2006, 08:53 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I like the e-flite edge too...a bit heavy for most people but is also pretty durable. I have run the 2025 setup and it is nice...if you want better 3D performance (lighter) I would look at the A20 outrunner or something similar.

The firewall stick mount might do it but there would still be some work to do as you would probably have to cut away some of the outrunner cage depending how you mounted it. I am not sure of the distance from the firewall to the cowling on the fliton edge but it might be long enough. The fliton extra firewall is angled at 45 degrees so it would not work there.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 09:03 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined May 2004
1,328 Posts
i am thinking about the edge or extra... not sure which one yet, but I am gonna use a e-flight 480 outrunner, with a 40amp speed control, TP 2100maH 11.1v 3s (Not the prolite pack) and probably some s75 eflight servos.. I don't know about radio yet, so we will see.

Is this set up pretty good?
p51flyer is offline Find More Posts by p51flyer
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:47 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I would use something other than the S75's on the tail or you will not get enough throw. 55's with the e-flite 3D arms will get you enough throw. I would think about reinforcing the motor mount too with a motor that powerful. If you could fit the 12x6 and have some ground clearance it would be funny to watch as it would be a bottlerocket but I think it would eventually destroy the airframe.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:03 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined May 2004
1,328 Posts
haha really? damn that sucks! ok then the 450 is the better motor. I just want to be able to use the battery I have
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:16 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
The 480 I think would be fine with a 10" or 11" prop but so would the small motor. The 480 really would not be being used to it's full potential without a 11-12" prop IMO.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 02:06 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined May 2004
1,328 Posts
ok then so i am fine with a 450 or 480?
Old Mar 31, 2006, 09:26 AM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Either would work....The 480 is a bit of overkill though.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:18 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined May 2004
1,328 Posts
will the 450 be working too hard with the battery I am gonna use? I want a awesome 3D/ Pattern plane
Old Mar 31, 2006, 03:43 PM
Suspended Account
Arizona
Joined Dec 2003
153 Posts
If you like biplanes, you should look at the fliton Rogue with that motor/batt combination. I'm using the himaxx 2025 on mine with a Prolite 2100 and turning a 10x5.5 and its killer.
BigjamG is offline Find More Posts by BigjamG
Old Mar 31, 2006, 03:53 PM
Orange Park, FL
Joined Dec 2000
443 Posts
Check out the Bme Yak from E-Flightline the videos are pretty awsome! For what it is worth I did not like the Mine Edge. I personally thought that the Mini Funtan flew better. The edge flew like it was to heavy. Regards!
deeejay is offline Find More Posts by deeejay