HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2006, 01:28 PM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,043 Posts
The best defense in this situation is a good offense. The voice of aged experience is do not get into the situation in the first place. If you feel it necessary to safe the .02 milliseconds on your trip by going 15 mph over the limit.....just leave earlier.

Keep all those things you would not want found by the police out of your car. Tint the windows of your home to a nice reflective surface but leave your car alone.

As a boss once told me it's not impropriety that usually sinks you. It's the illusion of impropriety.

And finally, if the situation finds you (which it sometimes does...) keep your speech and actions in check. Plenty of people flush the toilet on themselves with their words or actions. There is a time and place to argue but it will be a lawyer doing it for you and will not be on the side of the road. Flexing your legal kung-fu at the wrong time and place may wind you up in hotter water than you were in previously. -Ken
kist2001 is offline Find More Posts by kist2001
Old Apr 02, 2006, 02:03 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunswickOH
I tried number 4 once....it didn't go over very well, I ended up tackled and handcuffed. Missed the rest of the bachelor party.

Jim
If there was no cause for your arrest, you should have sued him and the department/municipality.
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Apr 02, 2006, 02:07 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kist2001
The best defense in this situation is a good offense. The voice of aged experience is do not get into the situation in the first place. If you feel it necessary to safe the .02 milliseconds on your trip by going 15 mph over the limit.....just leave earlier.

Keep all those things you would not want found by the police out of your car. Tint the windows of your home to a nice reflective surface but leave your car alone.

As a boss once told me it's not impropriety that usually sinks you. It's the illusion of impropriety.

And finally, if the situation finds you (which it sometimes does...) keep your speech and actions in check. Plenty of people flush the toilet on themselves with their words or actions. There is a time and place to argue but it will be a lawyer doing it for you and will not be on the side of the road. Flexing your legal kung-fu at the wrong time and place may wind you up in hotter water than you were in previously. -Ken
Attitude is everything. Remember, the officer may be pressured to write more tickets, and may not really want to, but he/she has to follow orders. Also, police never know when they might encounter trouble. Anything you can do to put them at ease is a good idea. Finally, some officers have an ego thing about being obeyed, and some are just jerks, so act accordingly.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Apr 02, 2006, 05:52 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTChip
If there was no cause for your arrest, you should have sued him and the department/municipality.
I did hire an attorney to represent me. It happened 2 hours from my home and the advice my attorney gave me was essentially that we could fight it and probably win. I would need at least three more days off work making the 2 hour drive into that city also his trial fee would have been at least $3500 and that was a minimum. Or he would get it reduced to a minor misdemeanor(original charge was "obstruction of official business") and I could pay $100 fine and be done that day. Which option would you choose?

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Apr 02, 2006, 06:18 PM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,043 Posts
It's a cold day when you learn first hand that justice in America is tied to how wealthy you are. One of those facts of life that you learn as an adult.
kist2001 is offline Find More Posts by kist2001
Old Apr 02, 2006, 06:27 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Nothing to do with wealth, I just had to make a cost based decision(my time vs. my desire to have the ticket dismissed). If I didn't have money and was using a court appointed attorney my decision would have been the same. My situation is very small scale, when dealing with large problems you really do need money to fight but I've yet to see a better system.

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Apr 02, 2006, 08:59 PM
Oviedo,FL
Joined Dec 2000
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Dave

Also does it get to 110 F in Florida. It didn't very often (maybe ever I only remember 90ish) when I lived there (near Panama City) and the sun is much more powerfull at 5000+ feet.
I never got sunburned when I lived there but I do all the time here.

Dave
The panhandle isn't really Florida. Niether is Jacksonville, that's south GA

If you didn't get sunburned, you-
A. Weren't in Florida.
B. Stayed inside.

Whoops, time to put more aloe on the top of my sunburned feet
R. Carver is offline Find More Posts by R. Carver
Old Apr 02, 2006, 09:51 PM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Carver
The panhandle isn't really Florida. Niether is Jacksonville, that's south GA
Either way it's redneck central, except for the beach
which is "silicone" central.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Carver
If you didn't get sunburned, you-
A. Weren't in Florida.
B. Stayed inside.
Nope working the flightline on F-16's. And scuba whenever I had the chance.
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old Apr 02, 2006, 10:25 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Careful with the aspersion casting there. Some of us live here, and aren't rednecks. There's not a single beer can in my truck bed, no rifle rack, no primer or confederate flag stickers on the body, and all four tires match. I don't even have any country music CD's in the player.

My next door neighbor however, is another story.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Apr 02, 2006, 10:52 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Aug 2005
1,292 Posts
I curse them when they catch me breaking the law...speeding.But they've been there guns drawn when I needed them most so I'll put up with them pointing out I'm not following the rules I know so well occasionally

Steve
pinolefm1 is offline Find More Posts by pinolefm1
Old Apr 02, 2006, 10:57 PM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectRick
Careful with the aspersion casting there. Some of us live here, and aren't rednecks. There's not a single beer can in my truck bed, no rifle rack, no primer or confederate flag stickers on the body, and all four tires match. I don't even have any country music CD's in the player.

My next door neighbor however, is another story.

Rick
Imagine what your neighbor says about you

I will say one thing about that part of the country.
When I was there the strip clubs were some of the best
I have ever seen. Not that I wen't very often

And when you got tired of them just go to the clubs on the beach for "amateur" nite. Drunken college girls taking it all off for ..... nothing.
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old Apr 02, 2006, 11:31 PM
Oviedo,FL
Joined Dec 2000
1,164 Posts
Quote:
As opposed to Colorado, where everyone's a tree-hugging, birkenstock wearing, tofu-eating hippie, right? I know this 'cause I spent a while in Boulder a couple of years ago. That makes me an expert
Dave, next time you're down shoot me a PM. I'll show ya all the nice places around, and we'll finish this over a beer. Don't forget to bring sunscreen.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.....
R. Carver is offline Find More Posts by R. Carver
Old Apr 03, 2006, 12:02 AM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTChip
It does not sound like he:

A) Was arrested

B) Followed #4 correctly. I doubt he was tackled and handcuffed because he asked a cop if he was being detained.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Apr 03, 2006, 12:21 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge
It is definately true that getting out of your vehicle when pulled over will agitate the officer.
I've always wondered about this after seeing all those American movies and TV shows.
This is how it works in Australia (errrrrr...first hand experience ).

You get pulled over. Stop the engine, open the door and get out, walk to the back of the car while the cop is walking towards you. Sit on the back of the car (your own, not his ) and say "G'day mate". He says G'day too and asks to see your licence. You show it to him and chat about the weather while he writes out a ticket. It's all very relaxed and casual. Well, it was for me and the cop but my American passenger was scared!

Now without wanting to sidetrack this topic, I honestly think the different attitudes is because the American police have to be prepared for the possibility there'll be a gun in any car they pull over. In those circumstances their very cautious attitude is quite understandable.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Apr 03, 2006, 12:28 AM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
It's not that there is a possibility of a gun in every car they pull over, but rather that there may be a bad guy who might use it.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog