HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2006, 02:27 PM
You win again, gravity!
Rotterdam, NL
Joined Jun 2004
279 Posts
Quote:
True. AND, it doesn't hurt to turn the engine off, the radio off, the dome light on (at night), the 4-ways on, and have your hands on the wheel where he/she can see them. If the officer realizes you're helping him to neutralize the situation, it'll make you look more like a good guy.
Is it true they go nuts when you get out of the car when you're pulled over? I got pulled over in the States once but I didn't want to test this theory, so I was a good boy and followed your guidelines

Quote:
BTW, cars that are messy, in poor condition, or have lotsa bumper stickers will get picked on more.
Hmm I've driven a good few dodgy rust buckets around but never got pulled over in them. I did get pulled over on a regular basis for the silliest things, whilst driving a new, shiny yellow Renault convertible.
Muxje is offline Find More Posts by Muxje
Old Mar 30, 2006, 07:04 PM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
It is definately true that getting out of your vehicle when pulled over will agitate the officer. BTW, driving a Renault of any color is a valid reason for getting stopped. Driving a yellow Renault justifies the use of deadly force.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Mar 30, 2006, 09:01 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,866 Posts
I've got a story that is hard to top. Last year I got stopped twice going to major model contests in my Previa van., I had not been stopped for ove 40 years. The first stop was for crossing a double yellow line, I had made a left turn at a stop sign and was about 200 feet from the turn when a vehiucle started out of a driveway. I swerved across the center to avoid an accident, and was pulled over immidiatly. Then the officer came up on the right! they never do that. He asked me if I knew why he stopped me and I told him it was most likely because I had crossed the double yellow line and that I would do it again to avoid a collision. He then asked me about the models. It turned out he really just wanted to see my models
The second time I really was not sure why I was stopped. I had driving with the cruise control set was going down a hill that let my van exceed the set speed. He said he had clocked me at 82 mph (on I-80) and had to go 100mph to catch me. We had a rather long pleasant conversation, at the end of which he said "Would it be ok with you if I let you off with a warning?". WOW!
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Mar 30, 2006, 09:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
I hjave found that your best chances of appearing in court and hoping the officer doesnt show is to call in a postponement. I did this with the last ticket I recieved...waited for the court date and then right before my date to appear was approaching I called the court and postponed it for another day }making sure it wasnt the same day of the week it was orignally set for} .Sure enough the officer never appeared. Perhaps this adds a further inconveninece to the officer in that he may not be that available on the reschedueled day and decide its not worth his time to show. You may want to try it and see how it works for you...I know I will continue to use this method as I have had good success with it.
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:00 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Jul 2004
2,097 Posts
My first ticket, the officer told me not to worry. The day of my court appearance, the bailiff told me he had called in sick and I could either make my appearance or have the appearance rescheduled for another day, since I had the right to have the accuser present. I chose to reschedule. As I was leaving, up the court steps walks the officer. Asked me how it went. Smiled when I told him what happened. I was with the AF in North africa when they tried to reschedule over a year later. My dad told them they could go there to serve the warrant. They dismissed the case.
Over the years I got a few more tickets, got stopped a few times by the Ohio State patrol for spot checks, thought the stateys were the most arogant overbearing SOBs ever. Then one day I saw some guy run another car off the road. If not for a tree, the car with a pregnant lady and her friend and a couple kids would have gone over a cliff. I stopped to help, and when the OSP got there, I got a whole different picture of them. Saw them as good, polite, caring people. Very professional. I also got the impression while giving my statement they would love to get the guy who did it. They apparently get very fed up with certain types of people. They get very tired of cleaning up the mess that type of people cause. They get tired of closing up body bags. It sometimes carries over to their everyday contacts.
50+AirYears is offline Find More Posts by 50+AirYears
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:02 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Condor
The second time I really was not sure why I was stopped. I had driving with the cruise control set was going down a hill that let my van exceed the set speed. He said he had clocked me at 82 mph (on I-80) and had to go 100mph to catch me. We had a rather long pleasant conversation, at the end of which he said "Would it be ok with you if I let you off with a warning?". WOW!
that sounds familiar, except i know exactly why i was pulled over. my sister and i had driven from here in MN down to Texas to visit some family. it was 997 miles from our driveway here to their driveway in Texas and it took 13 hours, 15 minutes (not bad, considering its supposed to take around 16 hours, give or take). well, one the way back i wanted to make good time again. we were on 35W, just came up over the top of a big hill, i was doing about 120mph, something i only do if there's no other cars around me, for safety sake. i came over the hill to see a unmarked car in the southbound lane and he immediately pulled a U-turn. i immedately took the first exit.

first thing out of the cops mouth is "just to let you know in advance, i'm taking you to jail." my sister was sitting next to me, 7 months pregnant, and freaking out. the cop put me in his car and we had a pleasent exchange, told him i had been driving for 10 hours already and was just trying to get back home cause my sister was getting sick of being in the car. he gave me a ticket for 101mph in a 70mph zone and didnt take me to jail (thanks sis!), but he said that considering i looked like a silver bullet coming over the hill, i better slow it down. of course, if it had been 100mph, my ticket would've been 20 bucks cheaper, but the ticket never went on my record cause it was out of state, so i was willing to accept the extra 20 bucks.

i had just gotten back from a road trip out to michigan and back the day before my sister and i went to texas, i put around 4000 miles on my car in just a little over a month. out of those 4000 miles, i only got pulled over that one time, but 15 miles from my own house here in MN, i get the ticket for my windows. go figure. maybe its time for another road trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50+AirYears
They apparently get very fed up with certain types of people. They get very tired of cleaning up the mess that type of people cause. They get tired of closing up body bags. It sometimes carries over to their everyday contacts.
i figure there's two types of drivers, those who know they need to pay attention while driving, and those who dont have the brains to realize they need to pay attention. i consider myself the former, i dont speed if there's other cars around, i always check my blind spots to change lanes, seat belt, blinkers, ect. if i'm on a road by myself, its my life to risk, but i'm not about to risk others. i wish other people on the road did that, insurance rates would probably be a lot cheaper.

nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Last edited by micro_builder; Mar 31, 2006 at 12:10 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:07 AM
Suspended Account
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Dec 2002
2,239 Posts
if i'm on a road by myself, its my life to risk, but i'm not about to risk others.
i was doing about 120mph, my sister was sitting next to me, 7 months pregnant

Why I hate (most) other drivers.
sarge is offline Find More Posts by sarge
Old Mar 31, 2006, 09:58 AM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
Cops are just like any other kind of profession. Some of them are working hard at doing their job as well as they can. Some of them are jerks. The problem with the jerks is they are heavily armed.
I was doing an 11:30 PM dash to the store.. no milk in the house. On the way back from the store I came upon an old guy in a motorized wheelchair in the middle of the road.(it is a pitch black night) I knew there was a old folks home a few blocks away (I figured he was an escapee). I stopped to see if I could help. The old geezer in the chair started swearing at me for having my headlights on and was obviously not in the mood to be assisted... he was also headed in the wrong direction (away from the rest home). No cell phone with me. I made a bee line to where I knew there was a payphone... I knew somebody was going to cream this old guy I didn't call the cops. Less than a 1/4 mile away from the old man I see a cop hiding (speed trap) in a church parking lot. Bingo! I turned around pulled into the church parking lot. I pulled along side of the cop car rolled down my window and as quickly as possible told him about the old man. I figured he would want to get to the old man quickly....before the old man got too far from where I last saw him. What does the cop do? "Please step out of your car!" "Put your hands on the car and step back!" Frisks me... checks my lisc. reg. ins... ??? I'm 55 Y.O.?? My car was a 2 year old 15 passenger van???. It was a wednesday night?? . After 15 minutes of this nonsense he tells me I can go.. I asked about the old guy and he said he would deal with it.

I wish that I had the confidence in our system that I could have gone to some higher authority and reported this moron. I don't mess with the cops
they protect each other and they will get you.
jimbo
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:19 AM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
You should have reported that policeman to the department. There are mostly good cops, then there are the bad ones like the one you happened upon. They deserve to be investigated and fired.
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Mar 31, 2006, 10:31 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Dave
My car is black. The only thing that makes it bearable in the summer is
the window tint. It keeps it 30 deg cooler inside when it is sunny.
So's mine-and I live in Florida.

My windows aren't tinted (partially for this reason of unnecessary legal hassles, but mostly because I don't like the reduced nighttime visibility looking out), but I do use a folding foil-covered reflective windshield insert to block the sun when I'm parked. I find that it does quite a bit to keep the interior cooler.

Effective, no reduced visibility at night, and the cops will never hassle me about it.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:27 AM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectRick
So's mine-and I live in Florida.

My windows aren't tinted (partially for this reason of unnecessary legal hassles, but mostly because I don't like the reduced nighttime visibility looking out), but I do use a folding foil-covered reflective windshield insert to block the sun when I'm parked. I find that it does quite a bit to keep the interior cooler.

Effective, no reduced visibility at night, and the cops will never hassle me about it.

Rick
Rick,

I use them as well (foldy thingies) but the best way to keep the car cool is to keep light out of the car not to let it in and reflect off of somthing in the interior.

The folding things do maybe 10 deg of difference to nothing at all
the main benefit of them is the steering wheel and seats don't get
hot.

I also use a complete car cover when I have time. Basically this brings
the interior down to within 5 deg or so of ambient.

I also like the tinting in the side and rear window for driving at night.

I have really light sensitive eyes and every redneck in my town
either aims their headlights straight out or drives with the brights on.

Daylight to me is unbearable without sunglasses but headlights in
my eyes are worse.

Also does it get to 110 F in Florida. It didn't very often (maybe ever I only remember 90ish) when I lived there (near Panama City) and the sun is much more powerfull at 5000+ feet.
I never got sunburned when I lived there but I do all the time here.

Dave
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Last edited by The Other Dave; Mar 31, 2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 03:19 PM
4000 posts?!
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2005
4,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge
if i'm on a road by myself, its my life to risk, but i'm not about to risk others.
i was doing about 120mph, my sister was sitting next to me, 7 months pregnant

Why I hate (most) other drivers.
fair enough.

i know my car pretty well though, doing 120mph in it and it doesnt even break a sweat. i take very good care of the car and during road trips, i always check tire pressure, fluid levels, ect. and if i didnt trust it (or myself), i wouldnt do it. and for the record, my sis was the one telling me to hurry up

as for my windows, the front two will be un-tinted. its impossible to test the other windows since they dont open. i may be pushing my luck, but if you could see how clear the tint really is, you'd see why i think its all pretty pointless.

nick
micro_builder is offline Find More Posts by micro_builder
Old Mar 31, 2006, 04:23 PM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTChip
I tried number 4 once....it didn't go over very well, I ended up tackled and handcuffed. Missed the rest of the bachelor party.

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old Mar 31, 2006, 04:58 PM
You win again, gravity!
Rotterdam, NL
Joined Jun 2004
279 Posts
Quote:
I tried number 4 once....it didn't go over very well
Heh, cops don't like stuff on that website, it's true. One of them told me they really hate "professional" activists, who know their rights to the 10th decimal place. Break one silly rule and it will come back to the cop in the court room.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 05:12 PM
You win again, gravity!
Rotterdam, NL
Joined Jun 2004
279 Posts
Quote:
BTW, driving a Renault of any color is a valid reason for getting stopped. Driving a yellow Renault justifies the use of deadly force.
Actually I had my doubts against French cars, but that Renault was really good. With that model they were more or less the first to bring convertibles into the "affordable" price range (below $25.000 or so). Now I have another French convertible (a Peugeot)... it's a fun car no doubt, and it runs fine, but it is plagued by little malfunctions and design problems. My brother has a newer model, which has some but not all of the kinks worked out. So I'm staying away from Peugeot next time.