HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 29, 2006, 06:45 PM
plane crazy
av8rOC's Avatar
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
Discussion
GWS ME-109: Help me go fast!!!

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I have been flying foamies but I have decided to pick up a GWS me-109 from my LHS to use as a knock around, warm up the thumbs bird.

My goal is to get this thing to go fast. I havent purchased a power setup but I was thinking about the E-flite park 400, however Im open to suggestion.

Is anyone using a successful power setup in their GWS warbird that they would like to share?

BTW I am using a TP 1320 pl on it...

Thanks

Sean
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:17 PM
plane crazy
av8rOC's Avatar
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
Let me add a few things, the wife was calling me for dinner and I hurried to finish that post.

I would like to keep it mostly stock, as in not fiberglassing everything or doing anything extreme. I prefer a geared setup, however if it is possible to go fast with an outrunner I would consider it. Lastly, I would like to keep the motor/esc under $125 if possible.

Thanks!
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:22 PM
Slim Shady
mikesurfs's Avatar
Henderson, NV
Joined Mar 2004
290 Posts
Fast 109

I'm doing one. Sanded it all down last night and got started with the fiberglass today. Unfortunately I can't finish cause I ran out of glass! I went to E-Flightline for a Cobri gearbox at 2.5:1, Warp4 3turn, and 8x8 prop. P-Calc says 82mph, 48oz thrust, and 22amps. I also chopped down the wings to reduce drag.
mikesurfs is offline Find More Posts by mikesurfs
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:52 PM
plane crazy
av8rOC's Avatar
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesurfs
I'm doing one. Sanded it all down last night and got started with the fiberglass today. Unfortunately I can't finish cause I ran out of glass! I went to E-Flightline for a Cobri gearbox at 2.5:1, Warp4 3turn, and 8x8 prop. P-Calc says 82mph, 48oz thrust, and 22amps. I also chopped down the wings to reduce drag.

Mike looks nice! You mind keeping me up to date on this thread? What kink of fiberglass are you using?
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:29 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
CSI's Avatar
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
av8,
We have had great success using the Himax 2025-4200 motors on our GWS warbirds. They can haul the planes around at scary speeds, and any more would probably shred the foam! We actually have them propped DOWN because normal would destroy the plane with these motors. I believe the Park 400 is the same, just under the E-Flite name?
We use D gearing and smaller 10x7 E props. Go to C gearing, 11x7 and look out! Your batteries need to be some serious stuff to handle the amps!
I think you are on the right track for speed,
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:24 AM
Slim Shady
mikesurfs's Avatar
Henderson, NV
Joined Mar 2004
290 Posts
Av8roc, I'm using 3/4oz glass. I've used .5oz glass in the past, but it's too difficult to work with, and doesn't save alot of weight over the 3/4.

Thanks Ken! I fried my E-Flite park400 when I moved up from the 2025-3200. Like yourself, I have been successfully powering planes with the himax or e-flite and 3:1 or 4:1 gearing for several months now. I moved up to the larger can motors when I saw how much power the Megas had while fling DD pylon planes. Now that I'm spoiled by the speed of a pylon plane, I want to try and wring that kind of speed out of a little GWS foamie. My corsair ran 3:1 with the e-flight and a 9x7.5, it was a quick little plane!
mikesurfs is offline Find More Posts by mikesurfs
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 07:35 AM
Rollin' down Hwy 41..
Diesel Dan's Avatar
the long & winding road...
Joined Feb 2006
267 Posts
AXI 2212/20 will rock the 109

Some guys use this,its light and will deliver 180 watts and about 80-90 mph depending on the batts.Use the 8X6 APC or 8.5X6 graupner speed prop
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless...axi.htm#221220
..also on sale till 3-30-06..
Diesel Dan is offline Find More Posts by Diesel Dan
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 09:07 AM
plane crazy
av8rOC's Avatar
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
Awesome guys, keep em coming.

Ken what batteries are you using? Do you think the TP 1320's are too small? (they can handle 26amps in bursts)

Mike, is that fiberglass the kind of think you can buy at home depot? Or is it a specialty type of thing?
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:41 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
Tommy D's Avatar
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
Some guys use this,its light and will deliver 180 watts and about 80-90 mph depending on the batts.Use the 8X6 APC or 8.5X6 graupner speed prop
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless...axi.htm#221220
..also on sale till 3-30-06..
Ditto on the 2212-20 and and the 8.5x6 prop. Flew this combo on my Corsair. VERY fast. I don't even really care for the look of the Corsair but I was all smiles when it was in the air!

Buddy flys the 2212-20 in a GWS 109 and it was FASTER then the Corsair!

Get the Axi on sale and hang on tight!

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:47 AM
plane crazy
av8rOC's Avatar
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
Ditto on the 2212-20 and and the 8.5x6 prop. Flew this combo on my Corsair. VERY fast. I don't even really care for the look of the Corsair but I was all smiles when it was in the air!

Buddy flys the 2212-20 in a GWS 109 and it was FASTER then the Corsair!

Get the Axi on sale and hang on tight!

Tommy D

What batteries are you using and what kind of amp draw do you have?
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:08 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
Tommy D's Avatar
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,062 Posts
I used the 10 12c Tanic 1550 3S packs. They fit very well in the carved out fuse.

If memory serves me it was pulling 15-16A.

Today you might get better power out of the TP 1320 PLs. I do know the GEN II 1320s could NOT keep up with this system.

Balance is always a "joy" on warbirds so the few extra grams of the 1550 over the 1320 might be a better option for you.

Contact Brian at Tanic, he can take good care of you.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:28 AM
plane crazy
av8rOC's Avatar
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
I think you guys sold me on the axi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
I used the 10 12c Tanic 1550 3S packs. They fit very well in the carved out fuse.

If memory serves me it was pulling 15-16A.

Today you might get better power out of the TP 1320 PLs. I do know the GEN II 1320s could NOT keep up with this system.

Balance is always a "joy" on warbirds so the few extra grams of the 1550 over the 1320 might be a better option for you.

Contact Brian at Tanic, he can take good care of you.

Tommy D

I think you guys sold me on the axi. I have had a lot of fun messing with outrunners lately and I didnt even consider one for this speed project until now.
To be able to go that fast and only draw that much power is a nice setup. Also I found that aeromicro has that 2212/20 with a phoenix 25 for only $2 more than hobbylobby's 18amp jeti combo. Plus at aeromicro you get free shipping!
Placing order now
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 11:29 AM
plane crazy
av8rOC's Avatar
Northport, NY
Joined Dec 2002
2,196 Posts
Hey are you guys bothering with a rudder servo in your speed warbirds??
av8rOC is offline Find More Posts by av8rOC
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:05 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
spinnetti's Avatar
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI
av8,
We have had great success using the Himax 2025-4200 motors on our GWS warbirds. They can haul the planes around at scary speeds, and any more would probably shred the foam! We actually have them propped DOWN because normal would destroy the plane with these motors. I believe the Park 400 is the same, just under the E-Flite name?
We use D gearing and smaller 10x7 E props. Go to C gearing, 11x7 and look out! Your batteries need to be some serious stuff to handle the amps!
I think you are on the right track for speed,
Ken
I'll second that... Have done several GWS planes (109, Mustang) with Himax 2025-4200, and either 11x7 or 11x9 MAS wood electric props - very light stiff and fast! I admit to a little lower speed though as I usually only do 2s with 3.40 400c gear - fast enough for me in my back yard...
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:46 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Tommy D's Avatar
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8rOC
I think you guys sold me on the axi. I have had a lot of fun messing with outrunners lately and I didnt even consider one for this speed project until now.
To be able to go that fast and only draw that much power is a nice setup. Also I found that aeromicro has that 2212/20 with a phoenix 25 for only $2 more than hobbylobby's 18amp jeti combo. Plus at aeromicro you get free shipping!
Placing order now
But does it come with the radial mount for free??
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! GWS Me-109 HELP! Stefansuba Electric Warbirds 64 Oct 19, 2006 04:41 PM
GWS ME 109 Help Flyinphil Parkflyers 3 Nov 17, 2005 07:52 AM
AuroraT GWS me-109 help jallenhenry Foamies (Kits) 0 Feb 02, 2005 10:41 PM
powerplant upgrade GWS ME-109 help MinnParkflyer Parkflyers 1 Jul 30, 2003 07:21 PM
Me-109 followed me home..help with paint job plz roguewolf Parkflyers 9 May 18, 2003 08:29 PM