SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 29, 2006, 06:50 PM
LeeRob
United States, NM, Rio Rancho
Joined Feb 2006
9 Posts
Question
Brushless Motor Wiring

I just bought an AXI 2208/34 with a JETI Advance 08 plus brushless controler. I am using a Futaba FP-R114H receiver. Is there a place I can go to to find out how to wire these together. Or does someone have a wiring diagram?

Thanks,
Lee
LeeRob is offline Find More Posts by LeeRob
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:43 PM
Joined Feb 2004
155 Posts
Someone else had the same question a little while ago. Hope this helps...

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4732
Bill Hawthorne is offline Find More Posts by Bill Hawthorne
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:43 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,833 Posts
The ESC came without wiring instructions?

One end has two heavier ga. wires one red and on black most likely ,these are the input power leads. Solder on a connector tto match the battery such as Deans Ultras. Female on Batt. male on ESC.

The other end has 3 leads these connect to the motor, most motors come with gold bullet connections to be used. All leads must be insulated (heat shrink tubing).

The 3 lead small receiver type connector connects to the Throtle channel on the receiver.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Mar 30, 2006, 02:43 AM
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Joined Jun 2002
180 Posts
Brushless Motor Wiring

Everydayflyer, Great job on describing the wiring on a brushless ESC!

I came to this forum as a refugee from the (general) ELECTRIC PLANE TALK forum. Over there we got hung up on what wiring to use in a twin setup. I thought that this forum might give some enlightened answers.

My first question here is how to wire a TWIN SETUP using BL motors &
ESC(s). Are separate ESC's needed?

Assuming you want to wire parallel, where do you begin to double (parallel) the wire path? ------ just after the batt. (using 2 ESC's)? ----- OR, after a single ESC (w/a high enough amp rating for both motors)?

Finally, what considerations are needed regarding sensorless motors (and ESC compatibility)? What is the function of sensors anyway?

I've read about using two ESC's on twins, BUT, what do you do about BEC connections to the RX?

Sorry about so many questions in a single post, but with no brushless experience, it's all kind of mind blowing!

Virg.
Virgil Kee is offline Find More Posts by Virgil Kee
Old Mar 30, 2006, 02:45 AM
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Joined Jun 2002
180 Posts
Last edited by Virgil Kee; Mar 30, 2006 at 03:01 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 02:50 AM
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Joined Jun 2002
180 Posts
Last edited by Virgil Kee; Mar 30, 2006 at 03:03 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 02:59 AM
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Joined Jun 2002
180 Posts
Moderator, how can I DELETE an entire post? I've messed this thread up!

Virg.
Last edited by Virgil Kee; Mar 30, 2006 at 03:06 AM.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 08:11 AM
Beaverdam Creek, VA
Joined Aug 2005
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil Kee
Everydayflyer, Great job on describing the wiring on a brushless ESC!

I came to this forum as a refugee from the (general) ELECTRIC PLANE TALK forum. Over there we got hung up on what wiring to use in a twin setup. I thought that this forum might give some enlightened answers.

My first question here is how to wire a TWIN SETUP using BL motors &
ESC(s). Are separate ESC's needed?

Assuming you want to wire parallel, where do you begin to double (parallel) the wire path? ------ just after the batt. (using 2 ESC's)? ----- OR, after a single ESC (w/a high enough amp rating for both motors)?

Finally, what considerations are needed regarding sensorless motors (and ESC compatibility)? What is the function of sensors anyway?

I've read about using two ESC's on twins, BUT, what do you do about BEC connections to the RX?

Sorry about so many questions in a single post, but with no brushless experience, it's all kind of mind blowing!

Virg.
Brushless motors used to have sensors in them to tell the controller where the rotor is magnetically (hope that makes sense). Modern controllers apply voltage across two phase wires and use the third to sense, and switch which wire is doing which (commutation) as the rotor turns. A sensorless controller can be used on a sensored motor, just ignore the sensor leads (tape them).

Some have successfully run two brushless motors from one ESC, others haven't. Someone has probably smoked a controller trying. To do it you would simply wire the motors in parallel. If one turns backwards, swap two wires on that motor.

The proper way to run two ESCs is to plug them into a Y-harness after disconnecting the BEC on one. You do this by removing the red wire connector from the plug, there's a little plastic tab you can lift up with a pin, and slide the connector out and tape it.

Castle Creations ESCs can be used in parallel without disconnecting the BEC, you get twice as much BEC capacity that way. I suspect others can be used that way too.

Good Luck!
BeavrdamElectric is offline Find More Posts by BeavrdamElectric
Old Mar 30, 2006, 07:02 PM
LeeRob
United States, NM, Rio Rancho
Joined Feb 2006
9 Posts
Thanks everybody! I'm sure I will find the answer in all of these responses.

Lee
LeeRob is offline Find More Posts by LeeRob
Old Mar 31, 2006, 07:04 AM
Fly it like you own it.
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
369 Posts
BeavrdamElectric, (sorry for highjacking the thread a bit) but does this mean that if I was running 4 Brushless Motor Company motors on 4 Thunderbird 18's, I can use all 4 BEC's in parallel to the receiver?
It's for a bomber project that will have 8 Naro servos running off it so will the 4 BEC's in parallel "share" the load from the servos?

LOL, just one more question. Because of the location of the battery and 4 motors, I'll need some very long leads. Should my motor to esc leads be 2 feet long, or should I place the esc behind the motors and have long battery to esc wires?
_Pattern_Man is offline Find More Posts by _Pattern_Man
Old Apr 01, 2006, 07:30 AM
Beaverdam Creek, VA
Joined Aug 2005
2,322 Posts
I'd check with CC to be sure, but there shouldn't be a problem running all 4 BECs. Don't extend the battery leads if you can help it, Especially with LiPos, you can get voltage "ripple" which first pops the capacitors that are supposed to filter it out, then other stuff.

Good Luck!
BeavrdamElectric is offline Find More Posts by BeavrdamElectric