HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2006, 04:47 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,143 Posts
Discussion
Yet Another Aero Ace/X-Twin Conversion

Gents,

In the spirit of creating your own thing with Aero Ace/X-Twin hardware, here's my take on the Bell FM-1. Span is 17 inches, length is 12 inches. The wing is wider than scale, because I wanted more wing area. So the tail areas are greater, too.

Weight is 23.3 Grams with two 6-32 machine nuts in the nose to balance. Construction is all 2 MM Depron, except for 1/64" ply for landing gear struts and tail "wheel"/skid, and tail surfaces are 1.3 MM Depron, and non-rotating wheels made of 3 MM Depron.

Insignia was printed on inkjet paper, then cut and pasted, but the tail stripes were done directly on the rudder with Sharpy pens.

I maidened it this afternoon in a light breeze. It needed a little pitch trim adjustment, but it flew fine. Turns could be tighter, so I'm adding wing dihedral. I'll remove one or both 6-32 nuts and see if that corrects a tendency to dive with power off. My goal is to prep the Bell for indoor flying in a couple of weeks. The site is a single basketball court with six baskets hanging down.

Jim R
JRuggiero is online now Find More Posts by JRuggiero
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2006, 05:11 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
That's marvelous!
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:32 PM
RC-Kraut
Joined Feb 2006
1,858 Posts
Beautiful plane + clever construction !
relaxr is offline Find More Posts by relaxr
Old Mar 30, 2006, 12:16 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Very nicely done! When mentally thumbing through aircraft with twin pusher props, this very plane came to mind. I'm glad to see someone's done it.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Mar 30, 2006, 06:31 AM
Estonia
Joined Sep 2005
216 Posts
any plans avilable for this birdie?
tann200 is offline Find More Posts by tann200
Old Mar 30, 2006, 08:46 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,143 Posts
Gents,

Thanks for your kind responses. My pictures don't reveal the construction boo-boos, so your praise is not totally warranted. I did a lot of simplification of the contours, so it's more a "reminder scale" rendering than an authentic rendering. Even so, this sort of thing can be done well with Depron.

And it helps to use a cooperative glue. After a lot of experimentation with GWS glue, Gorilla glue, etc., I settled on Formula 560 Canopy Glue by Pacer Technologies, makers of Zap super glues. Formula 560 grips well, sets up to handling condition in a half-hour when applied thinly, dries clear, and cleans up with water. A little goes a long way in a simple project like this.

To keep weight down, I didn't cover the bottom of the nacelles or forward fuselage, nor did I apply paint. The wing airfoil curve for the center section is determined by the curved slots in the fuselage and nacelle sides. I scored the undersides of the outer wing panels to get them to curve without needing ribs to hold the contour. You'll notice that the top of the fuselage is a simple ridge line formed by gluing the two sides together at their top edges. With the wide bottom, the cross section is, in effect, triangular. It's not scale, but it's simple, and it keeps the weight down.

I didn't make up a formal plan. Instead I worked from 3-views presented over in the Scale Electric Planes forum by Kiwi. Check out http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...48#post5260003 For a more formal construction plan, check out John Hunton's plan for an FM-1 powered by Aero Ace innards in R/C Micro World.

Jim R
JRuggiero is online now Find More Posts by JRuggiero