HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:18 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Aug 2005
1,292 Posts
Discussion
Bluearchangel 4.4 m SHK

UPS just dropped off a 84" box on the doorstep.From Peru

Pics attached....couple gripes..(are you reading this Oscar ) but remember the kit was only $427.
1) There are no directions...no CG..no mention of how to fabricate the full flying tail linkages...nothing.Now, I'll be able to figure all this stuff out on my own but the lack of any documentation would surely disappoint someone used to getting it with a kit...

2) The wing joiners are rusty 3/8" steel rod ..fairly long but I don't see any brass tube receptacle in the wing and 3/8" just seems small for a 4.4 meter plane despite Oscars assurances that it's stressed for extreme aerobatics.I will no doubt use the existing holes as guides and install something more beefy..there's plenty of depth and if I go large there will be enough room to get some reinforced epoxy on the joiner system to facilitate a lasting bond.

3)A minor gripe I guess..The wing skin is not attached to the spar for about 4" at the spoiler in one wing.It appears pretty local and I'll fix it but still...someone not so meticulous in their inspection could suffer a failure...and I question how the bond is further out in the wing where I can't see....pushing down on the skin at the spars hasn't found any other poor bonds so I figure it's a freak...regardless QC shouldn't have let this pass.

4) Probably the biggest aesthetic gripe so far is the hinges on the ailerons...It looks like they used a flat hinge in 5 or 6 places and instead of removing material from the spar they just cut it with a blade ....raising the wing skin locally....I will say the system leaves a well sealed surface and you can't see the deformations in flight...maybe fixable if I ever tear an aileron off in the future..in the meantime I'l live with it.

5) DId I mention no instructions..also no real hardware..a small bag of misc wood pieces and some quick links..

So on to the pluses.

1)The wings are true with a slight sweeping dihedral.

2)The finish on the fuselage and wings is nice and looks like there's currently a coat of wax on the surfaces.They are both painted with automotive paints per Oscar

3) The tail surfaces appear hollow molded as are the wings.The skins on the wings are approx 2mm thick and feel substantial.The CF roving reinforcement in the wings looks a little haphazard but from what I can see it'll help in some critical areas as is.The hardwood spars appear to have CF applied to the faces of them but can't tell if they're wrapped or not

4)The fuselage is straight and a quality thick molding with no cottage cheese visible and again finished with automotive paints and waxed .A reasonably thick canopy and blow molded frame/tray are included

5) round servo cutouts are already made in the wings at the aileron and spoiler servo locations set into the skin so a cover will sit flush

6) the hole for the nose release in already drilled with a plug installed

7) Bright aluiminum double height spoilers come preinstalled (but need to be fastened in place after linkage install) and seem to work smoothly....I'll probably paint them white to match as they're flush as installed and there's no way to fit a cap without it being in the airflow.

I'll post assembled pics when I get the chance..I'm in the middle of a 6m Nimbus 4 and don't want to lose momentum

Not bad for the price IMHO..maybe Oscar will read this and make improvements in the future....or I'll email him to let him know

HTH

Steve
pinolefm1 is offline Find More Posts by pinolefm1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:08 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2002
266 Posts
Shk

Please keep the info flowing as I have one of these in route to me as well.
I will be most intersted in any and all info you discover and suggestions on how to get this bird best set up..
kevin kavaney
kevin kavaney is offline Find More Posts by kevin kavaney
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:14 AM
RECTITUDE
The ONLY path in Life!!!born on a mountain raised in a cave Flying and fighting is all I crave
Joined Jan 2006
8 Posts
I have emailed Oscar with all of the same observations, in hope of getting a remedy to the hinges, instructions, and spar system. Price increase for all further planes is in effect as of now too, costing 653.00 shipped. That price before was just a one time introduction thing
INVRTED LIFT is offline Find More Posts by INVRTED LIFT
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:04 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Aug 2005
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by INVRTED LIFT
I have emailed Oscar with all of the same observations, in hope of getting a remedy to the hinges, instructions, and spar system. Price increase for all further planes is in effect as of now too, costing 653.00 shipped. That price before was just a one time introduction thing
Cool...please share what he tells you...

Steve
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:13 PM
VNE ? I bite my thumb at thee
Shropshire, UK
Joined Jan 2005
501 Posts
any web links ?

stinkyfive is offline Find More Posts by stinkyfive
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:44 PM
Slopeaholic
Roseville, California, United States
Joined Mar 2001
3,098 Posts
Looks like a great deal for the price. Are you going to have her ready for Los Banos next month Steve?

-hutch
Hutch is offline Find More Posts by Hutch
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:16 PM
RECTITUDE
The ONLY path in Life!!!born on a mountain raised in a cave Flying and fighting is all I crave
Joined Jan 2006
8 Posts
Here is a kind of edited :P copy of yesterdays email. Also, understand, Oscar doesn't speak/read a word of english: Right now we're expanding our production capacity so we can attend all the orders.
Your plane's price, as we talked before, is US$ 60 for the landing gear. However as I mentioned before it was an introduction price and I've had to make adjustments to the sale price for new buyers: US$ 653. . We would follow the same procedure we did before.
By the way, I'll be introducing changes on the website so will be shown.
Even though I planned that the shipment would leave on April 7, there would be a delay until the 20th. Plane would be delivered in about 10-15 days, as this time. I would appreciate if you could make all the sales you can so we could justify the freight costs, so you can get in the future. If you sell coloured planes, give me that information ASAP, since the color is applied at the beginning fo the manufacturing process. I would need the delivery addresses so UPS can make the distribution plan..
Payments should be done by PayPal to
We're also developing motor planes (Tucano). Do you have any contacts with motor plane flyers?
Best regards,
Oscar

If ANYBODY is interested, I can get these planes at a few dollar savings over web pricing
Last edited by INVRTED LIFT; Mar 29, 2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 06:30 PM
RECTITUDE
Joined Jan 2006
8 Posts
"Should" be able to send anybody that needs them the instructions thru email within the next 48 hrs
Old Mar 29, 2006, 06:31 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Aug 2005
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch
Looks like a great deal for the price. Are you going to have her ready for Los Banos next month Steve?

-hutch
I don't think so.....I might have the 6 meter Nimbus 4 ready in time...I'll be going regardless just to see the show...

Steve
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:03 AM
The Far East
Joined Jan 2006
853 Posts
Any new info?

Any progress building this unique scale ship?
suirendoujin is offline Find More Posts by suirendoujin
Old Apr 12, 2006, 12:26 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Aug 2005
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suirendoujin
Any progress building this unique scale ship?
Not here ...I'm still waiting to see if Inverted Lift got a response to his inquiries about CG and assembly ...plus the bench still has a 6 meter plane covering it and every available flat surface surrounding it

Steve
Old Apr 12, 2006, 02:25 PM
SF Bay Slope Flyer
San Francisco, CA
Joined Apr 2004
211 Posts
I've been slowly working on my SHK.

I filed holes for multiplex servo harness connectors in the fuse and the wing
roots and I've got the spoiler and aileron working on one wing.

I had to make one little mod to the spoiler though. It was sticking
and I found I had to take some side cutters and cut off the corners
on one side to keep them from snagging on the wing cutout.

I managed to sqeeze in full-sized servos for the aileron and spoiler -
the aileron hatch needed a little enlarging to make it work though.

I got about 16 photos from Oscar which show the V tail controls,
how to make servo covers and some canopy details.
He also said the center of gravity is 9 cm from the edge of the wing.

If anyone didn't get the photos give me a pm and I'll get them to you.

Bruce
SlopeFlyer33 is offline Find More Posts by SlopeFlyer33
Old Apr 12, 2006, 05:58 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Aug 2005
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlopeFlyer33
I've been slowly working on my SHK.

I filed holes for multiplex servo harness connectors in the fuse and the wing
roots and I've got the spoiler and aileron working on one wing.

I had to make one little mod to the spoiler though. It was sticking
and I found I had to take some side cutters and cut off the corners
on one side to keep them from snagging on the wing cutout.

I managed to sqeeze in full-sized servos for the aileron and spoiler -
the aileron hatch needed a little enlarging to make it work though.

I got about 16 photos from Oscar which show the V tail controls,
how to make servo covers and some canopy details.
He also said the center of gravity is 9 cm from the edge of the wing.

If anyone didn't get the photos give me a pm and I'll get them to you.

Bruce
Sending PM now..
TIA

Steve
Old May 11, 2006, 10:54 AM
Soarrich
Middletown, NJ
Joined Dec 2003
509 Posts
I got one too, it was shipped a couple of days ago, now the UPS man is teasing me by driving by the house and not stopping.

Does it come with the SHK decals applied, I was going to make mine scale, I hope the decals come off!
soarrich is offline Find More Posts by soarrich
Old May 11, 2006, 11:26 AM
SF Bay Slope Flyer
San Francisco, CA
Joined Apr 2004
211 Posts
The SHK I got came with the decals applied. They look like they might
come off with some Goo-Gone or solvent.

I've got mine together now - Just need to buy up a bunch of lead
to balance it and I'm ready to go for the maiden this weekend!
SlopeFlyer33 is offline Find More Posts by SlopeFlyer33