SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:06 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
Discussion
new fun plane/video/plans

having a ball with this one design based off of the "hoot" by Carl Vogt. if you like strange looking planes that can do "bite your tail" loops, super fast rolls and even cool flat spins .... all on 3 channel set-up, you might like this one. not for the faint hearted but i guess it would be tamer if i didn't fly wide open throttle constantly
my equiptment is as follows: go brushless 15t 26awg /8040 prop/ 830 2s lipo packs. trial and error has taught me that to get outstanding preformance with this gear, i need to keep my designs in the 4.3 oz - 4.8 oz range. that is .... rtf excluding battery pack. this plane weighs 4.2 oz rtf w/o battery pack. it is reasonably easy when you de-paper blucor.thin fibreglass rods from a 1$ kite at walmart were used on top and bottom of wing. should work fine w/o them, but i like to do full speed downward rolling death spirals. so they make me feel better.
video ........ http://media.putfile.com/Hooter-test-flight
jerbear is offline Find More Posts by jerbear
Last edited by jerbear; Apr 06, 2006 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:15 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
video and plans were possible only via the help of GeneBond .... gotta love that guy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and thanks to carl vogt for the original "hoot"
Last edited by jerbear; Apr 06, 2006 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:30 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Jer it looks like a great little flyer...............and it's in the list.

JAM
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Mar 28, 2006, 09:53 PM
AllAloneInSpaceAndTime
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Apr 2003
2,389 Posts
Jer,

Thanks for sharing that one. I'll build it this summer eventually. Probably as a combat platform!

Corey
The Enemy is offline Find More Posts by The Enemy
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:10 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Why Why Why, oh the humanity!
Dang I guess I got to build this one too.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:31 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I'll be trying at least 1 'bash' on Jer's design after next week's road trip.

It's a 'HOOT' to fly the way he designed it, and I'll probably make it worse, but you know me

Those 2 pictures barely do it justice... You need a straight top-down and side-on shot, Jer. I love the lines on this one, just too cute!

EDIT: Added the Pfun-40 version
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Last edited by Gene Bond; May 02, 2006 at 05:32 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:43 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
You must be talking about adding an extra servo for the rudder.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:53 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass3587
You must be talking about adding an extra servo for the rudder.
That's just the obvious beginning We've discussed it, but Jer doesn't want to screw up the one that works well... Who knows, he has an extra esc as of this evening
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:27 AM
Joined Dec 2005
35 Posts
how come I can't view the video. the window comes up and it says connecting at the bottom of the video player, but then it says ready and nothing happens? I am using mozilla....????
derf9h is offline Find More Posts by derf9h
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:23 AM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
bass3587
turns great on ailerons only and does very good flat spins. for my type of flying, a rudder on this one only means the extra weight of servo/horn/wire/glue. would not be much of a knife edge flyer because of the 4 dihedral tips. Gene is going to try flat wing and tail (no tips) and i'm sure a rudder ..... we'll see.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:59 AM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
here you go ... just for you Gene !!!!!!
Old Mar 29, 2006, 09:13 AM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
CDR Engines

Where do you guys get these engines? Do you make them yourself? I have 2 BP 21's not being used right now and they seem to fly best on 2s packs. Looks like a fun airplane. Crashed my full fuse 3d Plane last night, so I need something simple to build and fun to fly while it's in re-construction. Also, I have never been able to duplicate the stick mount thing evean after reading all the threads on it. Help with motor and mount please....
Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LaTrax Alias with a 1Si Camera
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:08 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Oct 2004
927 Posts
UBILDIT, people wind the CD motors and assemble them from kits. There is a whole heading about "motor construction" that you can learn from. Some can be purchased pre-made also, but they are much more pricy.

Are you asking how to mount the BP motors on a stick? They come with either a plastic firewall to stick adaptor, or an aluminum stick mount. Let me know what your issue is, and I will try to work you through it.
rockin' roller is offline Find More Posts by rockin' roller
Old Mar 29, 2006, 01:32 PM
Victoria Super Mortem
BIRMINGHAM ALABAMA
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
Tube Mount

Thanks for the willingness to help. I think I understand how to do the stick mount on what appears to be an empty gearbox. Looks like a few wood screws or 3 bolts with nuts screwed through the baseplate into the plastic would handle it pretty well. I have had a big problem figuring out how to do the tube mount. I think Gene B once said an aluminum tube of something like 7/8 inch diameter is what fits right to it, but I remember not being able to find aluminum or copper tubing in that size. How do you do the tube mount? Thanks again for your help.
Bo
UBILDIT is offline Find More Posts by UBILDIT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LaTrax Alias with a 1Si Camera
Old Mar 29, 2006, 06:05 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
ubildit

we use brass tubing which is either soldered or jb welded on.then fastened to the plane via either bamboo skewers or small diam. fibreglass rods. these run along the front part of the fuse on each side. motor is zip tied to them. motor kit is GBv1.1 and available at www.slofly.com or www.gobrushless.com
if tubing is unavailable you may find some larger plastic rod that may fit either inside or outside of the bearing holder of the motor.
Last edited by jerbear; Mar 29, 2006 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling