HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:39 AM
USA, TX, League City
Joined May 2005
69 Posts
Discussion
Ripstop material Portable plane

Iím looking for a build thread for tips and ideas to build a portable plane that uses the ripstop nylon material. I have seen a few of the planes from Acesim/Carbon falcon and would like to build a plane on those lines. Thanks, Fred
freddb3 is online now Find More Posts by freddb3
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:56 AM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,775 Posts
Great idea. I remember seeing, years ago, an r/c ultralight framework with AL. tubular construction with rip stop nylon covering for the wings.
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:00 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddb3
Iím looking for a build thread for tips and ideas to build a portable plane that uses the ripstop nylon material. I have seen a few of the planes from Acesim/Carbon falcon and would like to build a plane on those lines. Thanks, Fred
The Carbon Kestrel from AceSim is a kit... so it's much cheaper than the CarbonFalcon, you get to make it up yourself. It does fold up, and is a little more nimble than the Falcon. Look around for Kestrel threads, it sounds like it may be the ticket.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:26 PM
USA, TX, League City
Joined May 2005
69 Posts
Ripstop Portable Plane

I could just buy the kit, but I think that it would be fun to build it with ailerons instead warperons. I also have bought some of the ripstop material from Walmart. Iím just not certain if I want to try to sew it or just glue it. My thought was to build it like a Zagi hang glider.
freddb3 is online now Find More Posts by freddb3
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:00 AM
Laguna Beach, California
Joined Nov 2004
724 Posts
I'm pretty close to finishing a plane with CF and ripstop nylon wings. Here's some stats:

Wingspan: 69 inches
Wing Chord: 16 inches
Wing Construction: ripstop nylon with carbon fiber spars and aluminum airfoil ribs. Collapsable
Fuselage: ~60 inches (not quite sure yet)
Fuselage Construction: two Slow Stick sticks, connected end-to-end. Detactable

The wings collapse down like an accordion and then the carbon spars come apart. I sewed the wings rather than gluing, as it's more robust that way. To hold things in place while sewing I used doubled-sided tape. The edges of the wing are all edged with dacron for added strength.

All that's really left to do now is to make the tail section and do something about the landing gear. I've put an old motor and GB on it, but I just don't think that's going to be powerful enough. Unfortunately the new Hyperion motor that I've ordered is not going to be in stock for another 7-10 days, so the maiden might have to wait until after then.

Once I've got it flying I'll post some pics and describe the construction in more detail.
LittleJon is offline Find More Posts by LittleJon
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:40 AM
Nederland
Joined Sep 2005
158 Posts
Take a look here:

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/gjkuiper/

And he has a few treads here also.. So have a look around..
Sanka is offline Find More Posts by Sanka