HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:59 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2005
26 Posts
Question
Dumas 19' Chris Craft racer - Hull Painting

Hi all, I am moving along with this great project after reading the excellent build articles by Pat etc. (I would say he is responsible for more of Dumas' sales than anyone else).

However I can't seem to find mention on when to paint the hull?
Before or after glassing & resin?

I understand that the mahogany planking goes from the chine (bottom edge)
right up the side, so does this mean that this side mahogany planking (below the waterline) gets painted the hull colour as well as the bottom of the hull?
(sounds obvious but the book mentions keeping the chine line clean after fairing in with bondo) I am just about to start the planking, so just want to be clear before I go too far.

Also would spray cans such a Tamiya be suitable for the hull painting and what would you coat with afterward to protect from scratching? (resin I suppose)

Or am I interpreting this wrong? sorry if this sounds vague.
I have looked in the instructions quite a few times but maybe I am still missing something.

Cheers
Anton70 is offline Find More Posts by Anton70
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2006, 08:49 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,152 Posts
I stain before glass / resin and paint after, on top- I have had very good luck with Tamiya paints and with resonable care, have not needed any 'protective measures' like clear coat, etc. the 19' RR runabout is on my build list, so I don't have direct expereince but it looks like all of the area that will be faired with bondo is painted over so as long as you don't use too much, you should be ok!

I know what you mean about Pat's being "A bad influence"!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:25 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,152 Posts
Hey Anton, have a look at Odie's current thread- he has a good picture showing the bottom of the boat and how to mask off the mahogany from the bondoed areas
Old Mar 28, 2006, 12:46 AM
Joined Jan 2005
26 Posts
Thanks Aero for your reply & advice. I have been following Odie's thread and indeed am looking forward to seeing how his hull is painted. I assume in that photo you refer to he is masking off the hull before he applies glass / resin and may spray paint the hull last?

Cheers
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:31 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,152 Posts
You might ask Odie, but it looks like he masked off the areas he didn't want to have affected by the application of the bondo- then I imagine the masking will be removed, the hull will get 'glassed up/faired with additional clear epoxy coats and then re-masked, painted and varnished!
Last edited by Aerominded; Mar 29, 2006 at 12:13 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:13 PM
Aquamaniac
Deerwood MN
Joined Mar 2005
111 Posts
Anton,

I painted the bottom of mine last. I applied several coats of West system epoxy, then a couple coats of clear over the epoxy. The last two coats of clear went over the decals and tape waterline. I painted the bottom with copper bronze bottom paint - the same as the full scale boat-after the last coat of clear.
D Anderson is offline Find More Posts by D Anderson
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:11 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,152 Posts
And with great results, D Anderson! I'm still really impressed by the job you did on that boat! It is just beautiful! Have you started any new ones since the summer?
Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:39 AM
Joined Jan 2005
26 Posts
Thanks guys that makes it clearer. I will paint the hull colour on last.

Cheers,
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:01 PM
Aquamaniac
Deerwood MN
Joined Mar 2005
111 Posts
Aero,

I had every intention of building the Continental this winter, but just didn't find the time to get started - yet. It may be a summer project. I've also been looking at fast electrics and hope to have a tunnel hull outboard on the water this spring.

Dane
D Anderson is offline Find More Posts by D Anderson
Old Mar 29, 2006, 06:22 PM
dirty machinist
United States, PA, Ephrata
Joined Jan 2006
159 Posts
I kind of winged it on mine...I agree that the instructions were not too clear on that step. I got rammy and stained mine too early...no biggie. I had to touch up a couple spots with additional stain after the fact, but everything worked out fine. If I were to do it over again...
First, I would mask the mahogany off.
Second, add filler and get everything sanded out smooth (I primered the plastic area to see imperfections easier, then added some filler again in spots.)
Third, remove the tape and scrape off any filler that accidently got under the tape (its bound to happen)
Fourth, stain.
Fifth, fiberglass and resin over the mahogany.
Sixth, paint the hull as desired.

Good luck! Be sure to post pics when you get it done!!
-=Odie=- is offline Find More Posts by -=Odie=-
Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:25 PM
Joined Jan 2005
26 Posts
Great Odie,
That is exactly what I need. How much easier it is when you can get first hand advice from people like yourselves who have been there.
I will indeed post some pics, didn't want to cross over your build though.
BTW your is looking great, looking forward to seeing your next update

Cheers,