SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 27, 2006, 04:55 PM
Glassman
Leesburg, VA
Joined Aug 2004
517 Posts
Discussion
Need help with first RC Truck Choice

I am ready to buy my first RC truck. Due to noise, it must be electric.

I was thinking of an e-maxx.

Is there something better out there for around the same money? I am a rank newbie, and don't know the pros/cons of each model, so all advice would be welcome. I am concerned about durability, repairability and speed (in that order). I don't want something that I am going to outgrow in a month, so it needs to be upgradeable, but I also want something that will give good performance out of the box (so I don't have to spend a lot of money "upgrading" it before it is fun).

Help!
TerryE is offline Find More Posts by TerryE
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2006, 05:09 PM
Quark Technician
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2005
22 Posts
I would go with an Associated RC10T4 kit, or RTR. A quality truck, parts are very easily available at 99% or local hobby shops. If you want to eventually race, it is pretty much race ready. Also, because it isn't huge like the E-Maxx, only one motor and one battery are required, so if you bought like 4 extra batterys, you could run 4 times, not just 2. I am a racer though, so my opinion might be slightly biased.
Frank@Quark is offline Find More Posts by Frank@Quark
Old Mar 27, 2006, 05:19 PM
United States
Joined Dec 2004
1,896 Posts
why not get a traxxas stampede or something? unless u plan to race...
TueLe is offline Find More Posts by TueLe
Old Mar 27, 2006, 05:40 PM
Quark Technician
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2005
22 Posts
Parts quality, and availability. Most hobby shops don't car loads of Traxxas parts, so sometimes you might have to wait a week to fix a broken car. If you really want to drive it, or have a child that does, it could make for a long week...
Frank@Quark is offline Find More Posts by Frank@Quark
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:14 PM
Joined Apr 2004
64 Posts
I like the Duratrax Evader EP ST and HPI RS4 MT. That's what i plan on buying
Blitz82 is offline Find More Posts by Blitz82
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:49 PM
Joined Mar 2006
10 Posts
Like he said the Duratrax ST is a good truck that is EZ to upgrade. It came with a 20 turn motor and ran good. Than I put an orion 15 turn havok it got cooler and a lot quicker. I just changed my ESC and put a 10 turn trinity motor in it and its killer. Parts are EZ to get and change. Great starter truck

Oh................ thay can take a beatin'
element75 is offline Find More Posts by element75
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:25 AM
Beaver Dam, Kentucky
Joined Mar 2006
29 Posts
That's exactly the opposite of where I live. Went to 5 different hobbies shops in my area (and by area I mean within a 2 hour drive and nothing less than 1 hour...the boonies.) to find parts for my Tamiya, even the shops that were listed on www.tamiyausa.com didn't have crap. The only thing all the shops had in common was the fact they carried crap tons of traxxas parts, mainly all for the tmaxx and emaxx, and some revo. I couldn't find another brand of parts anywhere. One shop had a couple of other brands but they were just complete cars with no replacement parts. But I bow to their knowledge as I'm really new to the hobby and just do it when I have free time.
Half-Shaft is offline Find More Posts by Half-Shaft
Old Apr 24, 2006, 06:04 PM
Back in black............
dodd city tx
Joined Sep 2005
2,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Shaft
That's exactly the opposite of where I live. Went to 5 different hobbies shops in my area (and by area I mean within a 2 hour drive and nothing less than 1 hour...the boonies.) to find parts for my Tamiya, even the shops that were listed on www.tamiyausa.com didn't have crap. The only thing all the shops had in common was the fact they carried crap tons of traxxas parts, mainly all for the tmaxx and emaxx, and some revo. I couldn't find another brand of parts anywhere. One shop had a couple of other brands but they were just complete cars with no replacement parts. But I bow to their knowledge as I'm really new to the hobby and just do it when I have free time.

[[COLOR=DarkRed]SIZE=7]same here[/SIZE][/COLOR]
cars4fun2001 is offline Find More Posts by cars4fun2001
Old Apr 24, 2006, 07:08 PM
30 RC's and counting
United States, GA, Tucker
Joined Mar 2005
952 Posts
Don't go for the e-maxx, to much money to get into the hobby. Get a Stampede or Rustler. Do not go for the RC10T4. Its meant for racing and priced as such.

Also, almost all US shops have tons of traxxas parts.
Bmr4life is offline Find More Posts by Bmr4life