SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2006, 07:14 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
oh and just one more hint... for clean 3d flying you should go with the flat wings. this might also alleviate the close rudder-roll coupling that mine has.
-chara
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2006, 07:29 PM
Got more toys than my kid
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
Yah, I was thinking about that. I know an airfoil will make the wings roll from yawing, but it really helps a plane to fly slower in tight places. I'll probably just compromise with a very shallow camber.

I'll be scaling it down to having a 20" wingspan. I'll power it with a 23g CustomCDR single-stator Cool Wind motor with a Hyperion 2S300 pack and a GWS 8x4HD prop. Should be small and light enough for most auditoriums.
macr0t0r is offline Find More Posts by macr0t0r
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2006, 01:22 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
Sure there is! here you go... nontiled updated plans. free to use and distribute for a non commerial purposes!
greetings
chara
Thank you much buddy!

Hey Rob, let me know if you want me to cut you out a set.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old May 04, 2006, 08:05 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,192 Posts
I just GOTTA' build one of these , NEXT!!!!.... Thanks !!! Cool looking plane !!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old May 04, 2006, 03:23 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Go ahead and let us see some pics when you're finished. It is cute and flyes very nice. I think you're gonna like it!
-chara
Old May 04, 2006, 10:55 PM
aka RAMTech-RC
Chandler, AZ
Joined Aug 2005
516 Posts
Tom, If you are cutting one for yourself, I would appreciate it. We can trade for a motor or other goodies.
TopFoam is offline Find More Posts by TopFoam
Old May 05, 2006, 02:10 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Rob, You got it buddy! I am painting my kids room tomorrow, but Sat I will prob cut them out.

Chara, thanks again.

GPW, I can't wait to see what you make this one do! LOL! I don't think it will WAG or Flip-Flop tho, ROTFLMAO.
Old May 05, 2006, 06:49 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,192 Posts
Just some good FUN flying would be fine for me ... Heck , I have 3D planes , just want a FUN bipe since my SL bipe got retired....
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old May 06, 2006, 05:17 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Chara, thanks again, I am going to run out about 10am to print the plans off at Kinkos. I just copied it to my USB Memory stick so I am ready to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopFoam
Tom, If you are cutting one for yourself, I would appreciate it. We can trade for a motor or other goodies.
Rob, drop me a phone call if you want. I don't think this weekend I will be out at the bowl for flying, I am still swapped with work here at the house. I am cutting the planes out to clear my mind and do something enjoyable (rather than messing with paint and spackle).
Old May 06, 2006, 04:02 PM
Gravity is my downfall
El Mirage, Az.
Joined Oct 2003
733 Posts
Tom,
This looks like a nice little plane! i will have to make one too after I catch up on all of my projects. Has Tim seen it?
Ken
Tailspin Ken is offline Find More Posts by Tailspin Ken
Old May 06, 2006, 04:17 PM
Got more toys than my kid
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
Split Elevator = Bad Idea.

Well, can't say I wasn't warned. Should've took pictures beforehand. I figured using the elevators as elevons would be sufficient considering the size of the stabilizer and how short-coupled the bipie is.

The roll rate isn't too bad, until you give it elevator, then things get kind of wonky.

....and you better be quick on the rudder once you get inverted, but there is NO roll response...

Wasn't quick enough. Knifed-edge to the ground. No biggie, only depron-damage. I think I'll just slap together a bipie built to the plans with the quad-ailerons. The experiment was fun, but I think I'll go the tried-n-true route this time!
macr0t0r is offline Find More Posts by macr0t0r
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2006, 07:26 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTEOR
Chara, thanks again, I am going to run out about 10am to print the plans off at Kinkos. I just copied it to my USB Memory stick so I am ready to go.
you're welcome buddy - hope you'll soon be having fun with your Bipie. Drop a few lines of how you like it and maybe some pics when you have flown it!
greetings
chara
Old May 06, 2006, 07:30 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
macr0t0r
that's too bad it did'n work with the split elevator. thanks for trying out, I was very curious to see if a taileron works on a bipe.
will you stay with 20" WS?
greetings
chara
Old May 06, 2006, 07:46 PM
Joined Mar 2006
43 Posts
hello, guys, i have a bipie on the table, all that is left is to figure out where to put electronics, and batt. and install top wing, it is a really fun build, any help on this? thanks chara for the plans!
xracer1117 is offline Find More Posts by xracer1117
Old May 06, 2006, 07:59 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Hey X
the positions of the servos are indicated in the plans.
I place battery and controller between the inner wing struts.
they fit pretty nicely there and will be cooled by the propwash.
that's how you get also the CG at the proper location.
the receiver is placed on the left side of the fuse below the horizontal
part of the fuse assembly.
err...was that clear enough?

That's a bit the pitty about "profilies": rc-gear and cables hurt my eyes everytime I start strapping them on . There is a full fused Bipie on my project list but that's a long way to go.

-chara