HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:50 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
I knew you could not resist Rob!!! LOL I can't wait to see yours fly down at the Bowl! I am knee deep in painting the house, so plane building is off limits for me for a few. It really looks like a beauty of a bipe, and would look great with your other planes.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2006, 01:42 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Hey Jer,
congratulations for the successful maiden flight! single wing looks very neat as well! what's the setup? similar specs as the twin?
I'd really like to see it in action! you think you'll be able to videotape it someday?
greetings
chara
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara
Old Apr 14, 2006, 03:01 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
chara

same power set-up. hope to get video of both in the near future.

jer
jerbear is offline Find More Posts by jerbear
Old Apr 15, 2006, 05:43 AM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
happy easter to everyone!!!
i'm off for vacations for the weekend ... no flying, no building, no internet ... aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Old Apr 15, 2006, 10:11 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
We got the video, just before the storms rolled through! Gotta spend some cleanup and repair time, so the video edits will have to wait a little. Soon after I got home, my home was an island. drowned vehicles are all over the road out front this morning. I need a float-plane! The hail was cool, too. Now I suppose I need a new roof! The guys next door just put a new one on last week... looks like they got some practice, and get to do it again...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Apr 16, 2006, 06:13 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Don't call Fema , they only screw things UP ..... and make George's friends mega rich ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Apr 16, 2006, 06:25 AM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
Happy easter everyone

Hawk
hawk4932 is offline Find More Posts by hawk4932
Old Apr 17, 2006, 01:17 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Gene, that's some bad news I hope the damage done to your roof is not as bad as it sounds!
-chara
Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:52 AM
Magic Smoke Liberation League
United States, NC, High Point
Joined Jul 2004
174 Posts
Maiden flight today!!

Hi Chara,

My BiPie had its maiden flight this morning . The wind was really high (~12mph) so it was a short flight. A friend who is a better pilot was at the controls. We started out with a 7x4 prop and changed to an 8x4. Power is from a GoBrushless cd motor (16 turns) and a 2S1P 1500mah battery. It will just about hover with that setup. I was going to use a smaller battery, but it balanced too far aft with the 900mah battery. I will probably add the upper wing ailerons shortly. At the present time, I figure it is tame enough the way it is (with my flying skills).

Thanks for the fun design.

Tim
navionflyer is offline Find More Posts by navionflyer
Old Apr 29, 2006, 10:07 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,489 Posts
Tim,

Do you have more details of your motor? Wire guage, etc.....

I'm thinking of building one for a lazy afternoon flier and have a bunch of CD motors that need winding.

Thanks,
Mike
CryHavoc is online now Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old Apr 30, 2006, 06:21 AM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Tim that's excellent!!

did you resize it or went with the original plans?
normally it should balance just fine with the battery and the other equipment placed between the inner struts. i wanted to concentrate the battery/equipment relatively far forward (better cooling by propwash and less damage done to the structure if you happen to crash it).

If you add the linked ailerons and maybe try to reduce weight/increase power in the future you surely will have a lot more fun.

Do you have any pics to share with us?

greetings
chara
Old Apr 30, 2006, 07:14 AM
Magic Smoke Liberation League
United States, NC, High Point
Joined Jul 2004
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chara
Tim that's excellent!!

did you resize it or went with the original plans?
normally it should balance just fine with the battery and the other equipment placed between the inner struts. i wanted to concentrate the battery/equipment relatively far forward (better cooling by propwash and less damage done to the structure if you happen to crash it).

If you add the linked ailerons and maybe try to reduce weight/increase power in the future you surely will have a lot more fun.

Do you have any pics to share with us?

greetings
chara

Chara,
I built it to the plans size. It flies great with the 1500 battery so I'm not too worried about it. The battery sits just forward of the inboard strut on the horizontal stiffener. I probably changed the balance a little by replacing the over wing stiffeners with balsa. It's also possible that the motor and mount you used is a little heavier than the CD motor and bamboo skewers too. I was thinking of using the Hobby Lobby Esskay on it. It's about 1/2oz heavier than the CD motor and would put it up at the 3d wattage in your plans.

I'll post some pics a little later today. I am looking forward to getting it painted (probably a couple weeks from now). We were having a difficult time with orientation on the BiPie without some sort of paint scheme. BluCor against a nice blue sky can be tough.

BTW, how is the name pronounced? My daughter says it's "Bippy" and I say "By-Pie".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
Tim,

Do you have more details of your motor? Wire guage, etc.....

I'm thinking of building one for a lazy afternoon flier and have a bunch of CD motors that need winding.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike,

I just used the GBv standard kit. It uses 26 gage wire in the wye configuration. I just followed their instructions to wind it. I didn't measure the current with the 8x4 prop, but the 7x4 prop and 2S battery was about 6A. It's probably running about 7-7.5A. I am using the Cool Runnings 10A esc. I have three of them and had good success.

Tim
navionflyer is offline Find More Posts by navionflyer
Old Apr 30, 2006, 07:32 AM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Tim,

I hope you're going to have a lot of fun with Bipie (pronounced like "By" - "pee", was not so sure how it should be spelled in english ).

Looking forward to your pics!

chara
Old Apr 30, 2006, 08:46 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Hehehe, english/american spelling & pronounciation is a real adventure! It's still being evolved! You'd think after 200+ years we'd settle on something!

I guess I've been pronouncing it wrong, as well Let's see, Buy-pea, By-pee, Bi-P, Bie-pey I'm sure there's more! God knows how the kids would spell it, thanks to phonics and SMS (text messaging) and I'm sure it'd be different in real English. Are the Brit's still evolving the language on their side of the pond? How about 'down under'??? What a mess.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Apr 30, 2006, 01:28 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,489 Posts
Tim,

16t, 26ga, wye..... Got it. I'll wind one up and give her a shot.

Thanks,
Mike
CryHavoc is online now Find More Posts by CryHavoc