HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2006, 05:08 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
wheels

Thom,
wheels would be great! I resigned to add wheels cause my flying field is usually covered with knee-high grass.
The best place to attach the wheels to is the styrodur (that's very sturdy styrofoam, I don't know if there is something similar available in the US or ho it is called there) reinforcement of the fuselage, just in front of the lower wing.
That is the strongest part of all the airplane and just ahead of the CG.
good luck with it!

PS:
I'm 80% finished with the plans. I'll add some pics and if I manage it to finish them I'll post them hopefully tomorrow...
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2006, 02:29 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
PLANS available

I've got the plans reworked and finished.
I wanted to include some pictures with a few detail shots, but they blow up the file size. Since there are quite a few pics on this thread I decided to leave them away.

If there is anything unclear or missing in the plans, please contact me and I will be happy to help with additional pictures or explanations.

The first zip-file contains the tiled plans in pdf-format. The second one contains a high-res jpg for anyone who does not like the tiled plans or wants to resize them easily.

Have Fun!
chara

UPDATE:
3rd zip file contains updated plans with enlarged ailerons. I also reduced upper wing span by a few millimeters to decrease roll damping a bit. Plans are now colored for better "visibility"
Last edited by chara; Apr 10, 2006 at 06:24 PM. Reason: ADDED UPDATED PLANS with extended ailerons
Old Apr 04, 2006, 02:41 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk TI
Michigan, United States
Joined Feb 2006
176 Posts
Chara,

Thanks , I just copied the plans. No clue as to when I will be able to build but I do have the plans. They look good at a quick glance. Thank you so much.

Hawk
hawk4932 is offline Find More Posts by hawk4932
Old Apr 04, 2006, 03:56 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4932
Chara,

Thanks , I just copied the plans. No clue as to when I will be able to build but I do have the plans. They look good at a quick glance. Thank you so much.

Hawk
You are wellcome!
Spring and summer is just ahead and there will be plenty of time to build and fly . I'll be updating this thread as I try out some modifications on Bipie (4 ailerons, maybe bigger motor? always mopre power! woof-woof! ) and let you know how they worked.
cheers
chara
Old Apr 04, 2006, 04:18 PM
Glider guider
United States, FL, Sun City Center
Joined Oct 2005
359 Posts
Great job on the plans Chara. Thank you. I'll be building mine in a few days. I'm also thinking of a 12" span version from 3mm depron for cruising around the yard. Thom
Speedo125 is offline Find More Posts by Speedo125
Old Apr 04, 2006, 08:01 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Chara I'll add them to the sticky thread..............greta job

JAM
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Apr 05, 2006, 07:48 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,161 Posts
Thank You for sharing , your kindness will be appreciated by all !!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Apr 05, 2006, 03:07 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo125
Great job on the plans Chara. Thank you. I'll be building mine in a few days. I'm also thinking of a 12" span version from 3mm depron for cruising around the yard. Thom
Thanks Thom,
the mini-version sounds interesting! the biplane configuration with large wing surface makes it sound very feasible. however, you will need some very light equipment. 12" of span is spretty small.
if you are going to do it, let us all know what came out please!
greetings
chara
Old Apr 05, 2006, 03:13 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM
Chara I'll add them to the sticky thread..............greta job

JAM
Thanks JAM! I'm honored! and Bipie is happy about his genes being distributed in this great foamy comunity

chara
Old Apr 05, 2006, 03:15 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Thank You for sharing , your kindness will be appreciated by all !!!
Thanks Glen, I am particularly proud to hear that from one of my favorite designers here
greetings
chara
Old Apr 05, 2006, 05:14 PM
aka RAMTech-RC
Chandler, AZ
Joined Aug 2005
516 Posts
Very nice work. This may have to be the first design I cut out of foam myself. I already have the PT-17 color scheme picked out.
TopFoam is offline Find More Posts by TopFoam
Old Apr 06, 2006, 02:16 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Great looking drawings! Glad it flies well.

Did you couple all 4 ailerons yet? Just curious what it will do to the character of the aileron turns... IIRC, the video is with bottom wing ailerons only? The top ailerons may screw things up with adverse yaw (yech!), thus why I'm curious...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Apr 06, 2006, 02:35 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
Gene

doin one right now !!!! sized for my set-up. enlarged aileron area and gave them a slight forward sweep. gonna see how this does w/bottom ailerons only. 20'' wingspan
out to be interesting !!!!!

jer
jerbear is offline Find More Posts by jerbear
Old Apr 06, 2006, 02:58 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
hi guys!

nope I did not couple the ailerons yet. What I am tryin out first is to use larger servo arms to get more aileron deflection. I was not so happy the way it was before. Now I get maybe >10° more of max. deflection. that could already be sufficient for quick rolls.
Weather was terrible past few days here (it was SNOWING! ) so I could not fly... Tommorow will be better. I'll tell you what comes out!

Gene, the video is with 2 ailerons only and old (short) servo arm. Rolled a bit lazy and at very low speed motor torque was an issue. Adverse yaw? yes, maybe because of the wing camber already in. on the other hand you could reduce total deflection and hence yaw moments... hmmm... someone 's got to try it out

Jer, sounds great! Let us know how it works out for you!

greetings
chara
Old Apr 06, 2006, 03:07 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
My concern is the increased drag of the upper wing's ailerons causing the adverse yaw... I'm studying the effect and solution on a current design, right now. Don't know much yet, but I'm learning!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond