HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2006, 12:16 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Well, one of the two Bipies are cut out. I just need to make two little cuts and the top wing will be a good fit. For the 2cm parts I have templates done (you can see them in the picture, they are backwads for the moment and in place just so they would not be lost). There is also some 1 inch Bluecor in the closet. I can always put the parts on my belt sander to get them to fit right if they are too thick.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2006, 04:52 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Hey TeamTEOR, nice progress.

just a hint. the outer struts are supposed to be installed with the straight edge facing forward, the curved edge is at the back, just like the inner struts ( sorry, i missed to mention that in the plans).
also whatch the incidence of the upper wing when you finally glue it together. it should be the same as for the lower wing.

keep it up, can't wait to hear a successful maiden flight report from you!
greetings
chara
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara
Last edited by chara; May 08, 2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old May 10, 2006, 09:22 PM
Joined Mar 2006
43 Posts
well guys im 2 for 2 built two and crashed two, i love this little plane but i think my skill level is not ready for it, i think im going to try a stc with ailerons (top wing trainer) but im still going to build another , just because i like the plane so much.

xracer
xracer1117 is offline Find More Posts by xracer1117
Old May 11, 2006, 06:35 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xracer1117
well guys im 2 for 2 built two and crashed two, i love this little plane but i think my skill level is not ready for it, i think im going to try a stc with ailerons (top wing trainer) but im still going to build another , just because i like the plane so much.

xracer
Xracer,
that's a shame . two total losses hurts. how did the crashes happen?
theoretically Bipie can be set up to be very tame. it can fly very slow (low kinetic energy ) and if you used the reinforcements according to the plans it should survive some rather hard ground contacts. What I do when I've lost control/orientation during flight is to pull hard on the stick (elevator) and it will do a backflip instantaneously slowing down to near zero speed. that's a "feature" that saved me many times already.

hmmm.. however... good luck with your STC and with Bipie No3 if you're going to build it again!
greetings
chara
Old May 11, 2006, 06:46 PM
Joined Mar 2006
43 Posts
thanks Chara, i will build another one, i may have been flying to fast for my skills, i do think i need to try the ailerons on a top wing first, but i do have another cut out already,
thanks for all the help and info, ill keep reading on here to see how everyones plane is doing.

xracer
xracer1117 is offline Find More Posts by xracer1117
Old May 11, 2006, 07:04 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
you're welcome anytime buddy!
Old May 12, 2006, 02:28 PM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Hey Rob, I have your kit cut out buddy. Instead of the stuff chara used for the wide pieces I used stuccoboard. It is blue as well, so the whole plane matches. You will just need to do final sanding as you are glueing the pieces together. I'll give you a ring in a little while, maybe I can drop it off to ya later on today if you have time. Not sure what you are doing over the weekend, but I'll be in Flagstaff and Williams taking my kid to play with "Thomas the Tank Engine" so I won't be at the Chandler Bowl to fly (again). It is going to be a nice weekend tho. I'll get to my Bipeie soon too but it will be cut out today.
Old May 12, 2006, 03:52 PM
aka RAMTech-RC
Chandler, AZ
Joined Aug 2005
516 Posts
I'll be dring past Hobbytown scottsdale at 4:00 today, do you want to meet me there?

Rob

PS -- The Thomas thing is pretty good. We did it 5 years ago. Bring alot of money though.
TopFoam is offline Find More Posts by TopFoam
Old May 13, 2006, 04:37 PM
Gainesville
Joined May 2005
129 Posts
my bipie

here is my bipie on its mayden ... i love this little plane!
mrp1124 is offline Find More Posts by mrp1124
Old May 13, 2006, 08:58 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Hey mrp1124
thats wonderful! I hope you like the way it looks and flies!
do i see you on the pics actually hovering it? I've tried it but it's not that easy for such a lousy pilot like me...
Hope you'll be having lots of fun with your Bipie!

greetings fom Munich!
chara
Old May 14, 2006, 12:57 AM
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp1124
here is my bipie on its mayden ... i love this little plane!
Looks like you went with the flat wing version. Can you get a few pics of it up close? Also whats your power setup?
Old May 17, 2006, 05:49 PM
Gainesville
Joined May 2005
129 Posts
CHARA: It doesn't stay in a hover very well at all. My buddy ended up taking over 200 pictures and those were some of the best. It was actually quite windy and I believe that I was trying to keep it in one place by just a "harrier". Worked out nice with the wind.

TeamTEOR: I did go with the flat wing. I will try and get you some close up pics when I see my friend again (I have no camera). Let em know if there any place specifically that you want to see.
My set-up at first was an axi2204-52 on a CC-10 running a TP730 2 cell. I noticed that I needed more weight up front to move the cg to the right location and therefore changed to a rimfire motor and am running it on a tp 730 3 cell. The extra power is definately an overkill. I fly it around 1/3 -1/2 throttle.

I am hoping to scale this bipie up ...maybe 200%. Not sure yet.
mrp1124 is offline Find More Posts by mrp1124
Old May 17, 2006, 07:52 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
From Jerbear, since I broke his 'puter

here is some video ... promised long ago. sorry, but camera problems took a while to cure. not the greatest video, as we had to film under low light conditions. but, you will get the idea. this is my small version with 3 channel
(no rudder) and ailerons on bottom wing only.

Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old May 19, 2006, 09:53 AM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
Got a new little camcorder .... hope to get some sharper video later.

jer
jerbear is offline Find More Posts by jerbear
Old May 20, 2006, 01:01 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Guys, what a nice video! I never thought it would fly that nice. but i've never seen it while flown by the hand of a true master
congrats Jer, I liked the spinning dive. it rolls great on single aileron as well.
also the small size seriously increases its "cuteness factor"!
greetings
chara