HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:24 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Careful!
A funny thing happened to me on the way to installation..

..and it shows the value and lack of,of buying from Ebay.

I was searching the ebay derived 'jackdaws nest' for a 7.2v speed 400..and found two..one was decidedly used, Graupner, and the other was brand new, marked 'Permax 400 7.2v'

Shiny new plane, shiny new motor...to cut a long story short, when I ran it up on 3s LIPO instead of the 7-8A I expected, it shot to over 10.5A (hard to do on an old E-tech 1200 pack) and I just had time to look aghast at the meter before the prop flew off.

I tried again..same result..then I tried it without a prop. 0.7A more or less from half throttle upwards..Hmm.

I cross checked with motocalc, and a 7.2v 400 should pull about 0.4A..hang on I thought..that is not right..but glancing down the list of motors I noticed that 0.7A is exactly what a 6V 400 would draw...Hmm.

I quickly subsituted a 6V 400 in Motocalc, and got - yep..10.8A draw...exactly matching what this had pulled before the props flew off.
Out went the shiny new permax, in went the rusty old Graupner, and this time, without a flux ring, it pulled about 0.5A..Whattmeter was a bit undecided - occasionally showed 0.4A, mostly 0.5A..so I reckoned it was around 460mA...WOT on a Gunther was about 7.8A which was more or less as expected.

Moral. Anyoine can stick a label on anything, and it doesn't make it true.

I have this vague dream of some bloke in a model distributor saying 'these 7.2v motors..dunno what's up with em, everyone is sending em back burnt out' and some other bloke saying 'never mind, I'll ebay them for you'

I am satisfied, I will slap a gearbox on it and use it somewhere else one day. It's a great brand new 6v motor
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:45 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,888 Posts
I wonder who's slapping the wrong labels on them? The manufacturer, by mistake, or someone else? Does the label look dodgy?
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:50 AM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
It may have been the someone in the Fully factory moving bits around, or setting the automatic winder for a 6v wind instead of 7.2v.

I've never seen a BLACK can permax 400 6v before.

Definitely looks like a factory error.
deadduck is online now Find More Posts by deadduck
Old Mar 27, 2006, 08:14 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Its a mabuchi motor I think. Permax motors (the Mabuchi ones) usually come with black cans...it came in a Multiplex box as well.

No its a factory mistake I think.

It is a fine motor by the way..nothing wrong with it at all.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 08:28 AM
Manila Ninoy Intl, Philippines
Joined Nov 2001
1,325 Posts
Vintage,

Please look at the end plate. Does it have "Fully" stamped on the back?
deadduck is online now Find More Posts by deadduck
Old Mar 27, 2006, 01:54 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
1,455 Posts
Fraud labelling has been a way out in ele components market for many years, I know a guy who in daytime work hard on 'intimating' bar code and othe logos of some major companies ,and at night his 'wife' joined to work in his office as a packaging dept supervisor, and put on those 'all imitation logo and bar codes label on to the China made chip cap, they could be TDK, Murata, or anything you 'ordered and custom- made' parts.
Those frauding methods are 'COMMON PRACTICE' in ele comp fields. Guaranteed profits by such 'criminal acts' are easily at 300%+ more than a stupid guy who works hard under lights, .....so I learnt the rule for buying anything in or from china :To buy cheap buy the cheapiest way.
David
C-MIC is offline Find More Posts by C-MIC
Old Mar 27, 2006, 02:51 PM
What power line?
Rocky Mountains
Joined Aug 2004
3,507 Posts
"The stingy man pays the most". Click and Clack, the Tappett Brothers, on Car Talk.
PoudreDerf is offline Find More Posts by PoudreDerf
Old Mar 27, 2006, 03:01 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadduck
Vintage,

Please look at the end plate. Does it have "Fully" stamped on the back?
Definitely not..unlike the Permax 480's I have which definitely DO.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 03:05 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoudreDerf
"The stingy man pays the most". Click and Clack, the Tappett Brothers, on Car Talk.
Its a very very good 6v 400! I have no problem with it at all!

you expect to get some weird ones on Ebay now and again..but I have saved a fortune..a transmitter that needed a dab of epoxy on the antenna bracket - half price..3 motors for $12...two unused and another one absolutely flying the pants of a model..no..I have stocked up with ebay..occasionally something duff gets past me till it is to late to respond...

As I say this is a brand new unrun motor..I got a permax 600, also black, from the same bloke and that's flying my black magic now - performs exactly as motocalc sez it should.