SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 26, 2006, 06:34 PM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
Discussion
Hummingbird 3D Pro

I just wanted to start a thread with a few positive remarks about this heli for those that have good luck with them ..To me most micro heli's are what you make of them ...For me I have chosen the century hummingbird line over the blades, HB's and piccolo's for that matter ...I have an older fixed pitch bird , an elite cp and now the 3D Pro...I still use the hummingboard mixer for main and tail motors on the fp and elite cp ..I am using a DD tail on both of them but as for the Pro I am using a brushless Himax 2015-4100..I set the Pro up stock other than the Himax over the Century purple motor which is close to being the same and I am using a CC ph-10 controller...I started with the ARF Pro but new it was a little tight to fly out of the box...after going through it and setting it up , it handle not so bad...but as all of us , well most of us , I needed more ..I was happy with the motor and power so I opted for the RC-Helitech belt drive on the T/R and all the machined metal parts from century..well it is no longer stock but what a wonderful micro heli it has become...I will post a few pics. ..I will try to post a short , crappy video from my cheap camera that does video , if I can figure out how....any and all suggestions on this matter are appreciated...I have it in my computer on real player , just not sure how to transfer it to here...For now here are a few still pics.....Tom
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2006, 06:39 PM
victim of the system
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
inside hovering in the apartment

not much room in here , but it handles well ...
Old Mar 26, 2006, 06:46 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,623 Posts
Man, Does that look nice! What size battery is that? I want a belt drive just because it looks so good. Is their an area for a gyro on their mount? The servo arm balls will not fit on the inside of the arm? Angle looks a little too much.
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Mar 26, 2006, 07:13 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
well, I picked up a 3dpro with aluminum grips/swash, 3 hs55 and hs50 . (got a good deal from fellow ezoner) all new(except for servos) I am not worried about getting it to fly well. havn't decided on the tail belt drive. 56bucks is pretty affordable, so probably do it. I like MFS head design, so it was worth picking it up. I will be using HLG200 gyro on it. still need to choose a motor.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2006, 07:37 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,623 Posts
Askman. These little ones are pretty fun. This is the only heli I have been able to hover around the living room and be in control. Outside is a blast with little or no wind.
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Mar 26, 2006, 07:43 PM
Spark antenna on my Tx !
USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Mar 1999
436 Posts
A fellow flying club heli pilot flew one of these today in 10+ MPH (and higher gusts) winds and it did well. Bounced around but was able to traverse some passes back and forth. Not bad for its second flight out of the box.

EEK
eekflyer is offline Find More Posts by eekflyer
Old Mar 26, 2006, 08:36 PM
victim of the system
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybird
Man, Does that look nice! What size battery is that? I want a belt drive just because it looks so good. Is their an area for a gyro on their mount? The servo arm balls will not fit on the inside of the arm? Angle looks a little too much.
The bat. is a Tanic 1180 3s,15c continous ...it is new and I haven't pushed it ..with the setup I have there is no need to push it...It does look nice on the Pro and it fits very well ...century has them on their website ...when I ordered the rc-helitech belt drive I also ordered a new tail boom with pushrod and guides, tail rotor assembly and pitch slider...and the gyro mount ..then when it came time I had all new parts and pieces and kept the original tail boom and gear drive intake in case I need it again ..I have plans for the elite cp..As for the links to the servos...I am using Jr 241's on the collective/cyclic and the arms are really thick ..It is working as is but now you have my attention ..I could move the servos a little more forward in their mount and move the links to the backside ..as they are mounted now I would have about the same angle front to back regardless...thanks for your tips and tricks ..Tom
Old Mar 27, 2006, 02:57 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Feb 2004
165 Posts
TooTall,

Is there enough room for the belt on the stock boom?
I just ordered one of this belt driven kits and I'm worried about the room inside the boom + the amount of $$$ I've already invested on this heli just to make it fly right.

Is the flying a bit more stable than with the gears?
lovo is offline Find More Posts by lovo
Old Mar 27, 2006, 04:26 AM
victim of the system
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
the belt fits fine inside the stock boom...the tail seems to be more solid with the belt and much more responsive...Tom
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:30 AM
Joined Feb 2004
165 Posts
Thanks TooTall,

I look forward to this upgrade and finally get rid of all the "Inner Crown Gears"!!!
Old Mar 27, 2006, 03:10 PM
victim of the system
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
well gentlemen I do believe I am going to have to go with a cc ph-25 and maybe a ubec...my ph-10 is getting really hot and with the canopy on it will shut itself down after about 5 to 6 minutes of hovering ..no shut down with the canopy off...I have a ph-25 here I will try later this evening without a ubec , but if it is getting hot also then I will install my ubec...My poor Air-Tractor 802 my be giving up the ubec until I can order and get another one here....Oh well the weather isn't right yet for getting out and flying the planes anyhow...but hope it will change soon , I am ready to get the Pro outside and work on my flying skills...Tom
Old Mar 27, 2006, 03:12 PM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,876 Posts
What kind of headspeed are you guys running?
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
Old Mar 27, 2006, 03:38 PM
Joined Feb 2004
165 Posts
TooTall,

I was rather surprised that you were flying with the CC10. That is the first thing I changed after my first flight. I don't know how Century can recommend the CC10 with the Himax 2015-4100 or their version (which is the same motor) and keep up with the Amps. I'm using the CC Thunder 18 and works great; however, I only get about 10-12 minutes of fly time with a 15c 1500MAh battery. My throttle curve was down to 90 on the High point and possibly will need some less.
My head speed is too much for this heli. I'm hoping too fly better with my belt driven kit and reducing the throttle curve a bit. Some expo may be needed too!!
Old Mar 27, 2006, 04:54 PM
DRAGONUS
Cardiff, Wales, UK
Joined Jan 2006
1,150 Posts
That looks really good! I have to admit that as i fly in my school gym most of the time, a very small fully CP belt driven heli looks so apealing! Trex / X400 are abit big even for a Gym i think.

I think the 3dPro would make an excellent little indoor moth cut down the blades a bit.

Butuz
Butuz is offline Find More Posts by Butuz
Old Mar 27, 2006, 04:55 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2005
845 Posts
oh? a thunder18? any problems with the cut off or current limiting?
theShark is offline Find More Posts by theShark