HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:51 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Mar 2010
197 Posts
Well my little FFF towable glider failed, so I got a different idea today about a towable glider. The wind was 20mph so I took all the hardware out of my 31in wing and put a small receiver battery in and did a little gliding off a tiny slope, then I got the idea to make that plane a glider and tow it. So, I hooked up to my HZ super cub with 20ft of fishing line and off it went! I had my little brother tow it up to altitude then I glided it back down. Hopefully tomorrow will be more thermally then windy and then that wing will refuse to come down. Video to come! You would not believe how easy and stable the two planes are while towing and under tow.
fishon2 is offline Find More Posts by fishon2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:19 AM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
370 Posts
Hey Daydreamer, I'm going to be tied up with family stuff and I'm trying to build a computer this weekend, we'll see how quickly that goes...but I do want to get up to fly Northglenn sometime. I'll google the open space and check it out.

S
scottflight is offline Find More Posts by scottflight
Old Mar 12, 2011, 07:40 PM
Joined Mar 2010
197 Posts
Hey guys, after making a couple of these wings, I want to make one about the same size, but is good at gliding. I want it to be my one to be towed up by my cub and dropped hopefully into a thermal. Do you know of a better design with dimensions of a wing this size that glides better? Or is this wing design my best bet? I am using 5g or 9g servos and a jr 4c 270mah receiver battery for this wing glider. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:21 PM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
Hey Scott it's cool. It's not hard to find. I-25 N to 104th. take 104th w to Huron on Huron go N. To 112th on 112th go W past pecos the open space will be onn the left. Let me know when your coming up. My Bro put both of his Strykers in the ground today. It's all good though. No tears LOL!
daydreamer is offline Find More Posts by daydreamer
Old Mar 13, 2011, 04:44 AM
Joined Jan 2011
47 Posts

Here's my wing! finally done. original plans, flies like gold. check out my build and video here though i do need to make better fins
lavellr is offline Find More Posts by lavellr
Last edited by lavellr; Mar 13, 2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:35 AM
Joined Mar 2010
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavellr View Post

Here's my wing! finally done. original plans, flies like gold. check out my build and video here though i do need to make better fins
Nice job, the wing tips I use are 7in long and 3in wide and then you cut the tips down to a triangular point 5in down the length. The kinda look like this " <::: ". These reduce a lot of drag, but at the same time give you a lot of vertical stability. They also keep the motor off the ground when you come to land. If you want a picture I will post one, but they really are simple.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:59 AM
scunthorpe/england
Joined Jan 2008
847 Posts
gonna have to get my new set up on vid, i painted mine after a year odd and with a 2600kv 2208 microjet clone and its so fast i need better servos 80-90+ in a dive now and maybe a twin servo setup or balsa elevons. but i will save that for a new one, and i was gonna chuck this one away.

ganna try that launch to lavellr,looks good. i just chuck with no power on then floor it straight vert up to 200ft.
foxy29 is offline Find More Posts by foxy29
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:06 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Maidened my wing today. It flew awesome after I got the initial trim taken care of. I put a total of 3 batteries through it for about 36+ mins of flight time.

Standard wing per original dimensions.
EMax 2812 motor w/ 6030 prop (reported 18 oz of thrust)
20a ESC
Gens Ace 3s 1300 (gives 10 - 15 mins depending on throttle management)
A couple cheapie 9g servos
Custom elevon mixing using DX6i (w/ hand launch and flight modes)

With some duct tape covering it comes in at 15oz AUW which is a bit high but it still performs great. Motor and ESC never get hot even if WOT for an entire battery. COG is right on the money without adding any extra weight.

Biggest issue I had was keeping the orientation straight especially when coming around towards the sun. This is one tough cookie. Lost orientation a couple of times during the 3 batteries and slammed it into the ground for multiple cartwheels. Just picked it up brushed off the dirt, check the control throws, cranked up the throttle and away she went.

An indestructible tank that flew good fast and slow. Would make a great combat plane. Now if I can only get off work to go to SEFF this year I will definatly put it in combat.

P.S.
Unfortunately my computer crashed this weekend and am posting this from my sons older laptop. Will try and get a couple pictures posted within the next few days.
ckreef is offline Find More Posts by ckreef
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:19 PM
Joined Mar 2010
197 Posts
Well my true towable gliding delta wing is built and tested. Once the wind stops blowing 15 I will make a flight review. This plane is super light and super fun, you guys so need to make one!!!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 06:33 PM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
Very nice plane : )
daydreamer is offline Find More Posts by daydreamer
Old Mar 15, 2011, 01:06 AM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,212 Posts
Eh...giving up on my 60" thin profile wing. Tried again today with miserable results. Came apart on the second cartwheel. Very unstable in pitch despite various CG changes. Very odd behavior.
Looks like I'll be moving all the FPV gear over to the big 74". May make the outboard halves of the wings removable to facilitate transportation.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Mar 19, 2011, 09:46 AM
Tulsa, Ok
Joined Oct 2010
33 Posts
Wing size ?

I have a couple of e-flight park 480's and would like to try a bluecore wing.
what size and layout would you recomend? Not looking for a speed demon just sonething to fly when the wind is blowing too much for my 3d foamy.
Thanks in advance for any help.
DR_BOONE is offline Find More Posts by DR_BOONE
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:56 AM
Joined Mar 2010
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_BOONE View Post
I have a couple of e-flight park 480's and would like to try a bluecore wing.
what size and layout would you recomend? Not looking for a speed demon just sonething to fly when the wind is blowing too much for my 3d foamy.
Thanks in advance for any help.
I would take these original measurements and increase them all by 15-20%. I made one 15% bigger and it is amazing. It also depends on the batter you will use. 1800mah and under us 15% bigger. 2200mah or bigger go 20% bigger. Then you will have no problems. You will be amazed how much wind these planes can handle. I flew my 15% bigger one in 25mph winds... it was awesome.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:32 PM
Tulsa, Ok
Joined Oct 2010
33 Posts
ok thanks I'll try a 120% at 40" WS
DR_BOONE is offline Find More Posts by DR_BOONE
Old Mar 19, 2011, 12:43 PM
Joined Mar 2010
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_BOONE View Post
ok thanks I'll try a 120% at 40" WS
Sweet. Heres a tip that I wish I would have known when I started making these wings. When you put the tape along the leading edge of the wing and then you tape the top of the wing on and you fold it over making the air foil shape, glue the tail edges together and then put tape over the tail edge. This will give you an equal/level surface. Good luck!!!