SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2010, 05:42 PM
Novice RC pilot
California
Joined Feb 2008
623 Posts
My new wing!

I finally got around to making a wing after reading about it in this thread for quite a while. I couldn't find any BluCor foam so I used 6mm thick Depron. Here are the components:

Motor: SUPPO 2204-14 Kv1400 Max amps 7.5

ESC: CC Thunderbird 9

Receiver: Spectrum AR6100e

Servos: Hitec HS-55

Battery: Lipo S3 1300mah 14C

[edit] APC 6 x 4 prop

Assembled with hot glue and packing tape.

Bench tested WOT for 10 minutes, batteries discharged 80%

Bench tested at 1/2 throttle for 20 minutes, batteries discharged 75%

Took her out for a maiden flight this morning with my fingers crossed and had a blast! Very well behaved! The wind was picking up a little so I didn't want to fly my little micro Sukhoi, but the wind only made flying the wing more fun!
u.rusty is offline Find More Posts by u.rusty
Last edited by u.rusty; Mar 16, 2010 at 02:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:25 PM
northenden, manchester, england
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
just thought i would put this on, just to show my 42" is still going great, sorry for rubbish quality its from an old digital camera i used today stuck to my head with an elastic band
carl
bluecor 42" with himodel 2600 kv motor (3 min 41 sec)
doggit is offline Find More Posts by doggit
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:35 AM
USA, CA, Cupertino
Joined Apr 2009
92 Posts
I would like to comment this is an amazing design. Long story short, I had to build a model out of trash to use in an art project. I used only this design's basic dimensions and from there constructed a flyable cardboard model. The goal was NOT to make a high performance wing, but a flyable aircraft. I thought I would share this here. (I do not know the weight of the aircraft, but its not light. I know that. Powered by a greysonhobby V3, 3s 1500mah

trashplane flight.m4v (5 min 13 sec)
tavfox is offline Find More Posts by tavfox
Old Mar 15, 2010, 03:40 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
wow how cool is that, and got to be cheaper than foam i am guessing, and seems to fly really well, although i thing your cg may be slightly forward, i am guessing if you move your battery back a tiny bit it will fly even better, i am even tempted to build one myself now, and what motor and prop have you got on it
carl
Last edited by doggit; Mar 15, 2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:10 PM
USA, CA, Cupertino
Joined Apr 2009
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggit View Post
wow how cool is that, and got to be cheaper than foam i am guessing, and seems to fly really well, although i thing your cg may be slightly forward, i am guessing if you move your battery back a tiny bit it will fly even better, i am even tempted to build one myself now, and what motor and prop have you got on it
carl
a CF rod would have DEFINITELY helped in construction. but those are hard to find in the trash, unless you have beginner pilots around. the cg is a but forward, i might push it back and actually take it back up again this next weekend. Its currently powered by a graysonhobby V3 with a 6x4 and flies a bit heavy i'm not terribly sure why, lol http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...jet-p-765.html
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:19 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
I think you should fly it in the rain

The cardboard is definitely cool, and is much cheaper than foam!
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:31 PM
USA, CA, Cupertino
Joined Apr 2009
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40 View Post
I think you should fly it in the rain

The cardboard is definitely cool, and is much cheaper than foam!

i think i will pass! i need this little guy for my class project. he's a work of art! (literally. its an art project glorifying the concept of recycling used materials as well as creativity of said used materials. I have documented the entire construction photographically.)
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:22 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
That's great. I love it. You could tape some old lettuce to it, smear some spaghetti sauce or something too. It'll still fly.

Spray paint works great with cardboard too if you need to dress it up instead of down, ha.

I like to run mine a little nose heavy which helps with a touchy elevator. Give it a bit of up elevator trim if you add nose weight. Looks great, I'm impressed.

scottflight
scottflight is offline Find More Posts by scottflight
Old Mar 16, 2010, 02:00 PM
Novice RC pilot
California
Joined Feb 2008
623 Posts
Tavfox, very cool! Thanks for posting the video. How far from the front is your CG? I had trouble getting mine far enough forward. I use 7.25" from the front point.

Hey, how about re-purposing a plastic hanger to make the wing more rigid?

I might have to build one from cardboard now! Think of the creative things that you could do with sharpies, or even crayons!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 02:39 PM
USA, CA, Cupertino
Joined Apr 2009
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u.rusty View Post
Tavfox, very cool! Thanks for posting the video. How far from the front is your CG? I had trouble getting mine far enough forward. I use 7.25" from the front point.

Hey, how about re-purposing a plastic hanger to make the wing more rigid?

I might have to build one from cardboard now! Think of the creative things that you could do with sharpies, or even crayons!
I think it was 7" from the nose when i first flew it not the best. i shifted it back for the second flight, but I don't know the actual location. (i'll check it later)

a plastic hanger is a GREAT idea. I'll see if i can figure out a way to mount one in there if I decide to take it up again. sharpies and crayons sound like fun. just give it to a kid for a nifty color scheme
Old Mar 16, 2010, 02:51 PM
Novice RC pilot
California
Joined Feb 2008
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavfox View Post
... sharpies and crayons sound like fun. just give it to a kid for a nifty color scheme
Actually, that is exactly what I was thinking!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:00 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
hey u.rusty & tavfox, my 42" wing has a cg somewhere between 8 1/2 to 9" from the nose, and i normally use a 1500 mAh lipo at about 100gms, and a himodel 2600Kv motor about 39gms and she balances well around the 8 3/4" check out these vids, i am using an emax 2812 motor and then my himodel 2600Kv motor with the same 1500 mAh lipo, and both motors spinning a 7x4 apc clone prop,
carl
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=939
Old Mar 16, 2010, 03:59 PM
Novice RC pilot
California
Joined Feb 2008
623 Posts
Nice video!

The CG on mine is 7.25" with a 33" wingspan.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:39 PM
Joined May 2009
1,445 Posts
ok i wondered why it was around the 7" mark, but now i understand , how does your 33" fly compared to the 42" or have you not tried the bigger version yet,
carl
Old Mar 16, 2010, 05:33 PM
Novice RC pilot
California
Joined Feb 2008
623 Posts
I only have the 33" wing at this point. It's maiden flight made my jaw drop! I was just hoping I could get it in the air without any major crashes and I ended up with a 10 minute flight that was really fun. The wing is a pleasure to fly, fast or slow.

I'm planning to build a larger one later, just finished a scratch build ultra stick with a KFm3 airfoil. Hopefully, the wind will die down tomorrow and I can maiden it. Once I have the ultra stick (at least it resembles an ultra stick) trimmed out and flying well, assuming it flys, I'll start on a larger flying wing with a KFm4 airfoil.

Here is a link for more information about Kline-Fogleman airfoils if you are interested:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=kfm+airfoil