SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 31, 2009, 04:05 PM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
920 Posts
As promised here is a video of the BluCor wing I built a couple weeks ago.
52 BluCor Wing (2 min 43 sec)

Also, got some video to see how fast she is Yesterday, will post the results as soon as I get it Dopplered.
j4ck4 is offline Find More Posts by j4ck4
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2009, 07:11 PM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,567 Posts
Here's Blu wing #4.
These wings are just a kick to fly.....my club just loves them! LOL
I built this one for a neighbor friend who has the RC bug (thanks in part to yours truly) and has seen how well #1 flys........

This one has a KMS 31/21 1750kv outrunner, 6x4 APC prop, 1550 3s battery and AUW 15oz.
Just maidened this one this morning and it flew just beautiful, even with the heavier motor (I normally use a Suppo 2208/12 1800kv 36g) I was impressed.

My CG winds up best at approx 8 1/2in behind the nose, floats well off throttle, doesn't need a lot of reflex and just seems "locked" on in the turns.

--Ray
Wrench66 is offline Find More Posts by Wrench66
Old Jun 10, 2009, 02:00 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurpal
Planning on painting this plane after I know I can successfully fly it. I started by gluing the leading edge of this plane together contrary to plans, but I used gorilla glue and the glue loosened the tape while it was drying. The sides don't match each other quite right but I will see if it impacts performance. I just couldn't come to terms with not gluing a plane together.
My crooked wing definitely impacts performance . I ending up "trimming" the left elevon somewhere between 10-20 degrees up just to get this thing to fly straight.

I was thinking about either pulling the tape off and cutting out the glue to attempt to "reshape" the wing to match the other side. Then I thought a heat gun would probably be a LOT easier. What do you all think about heating up the leading edge of this plane to bend it to match the other side? I think I could bend one side up and the other down in order to get them to match.

If you are having trouble visualizing what I mean I will post pictures of how the wing turned out tomorrow.
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal
Old Jun 16, 2009, 12:44 PM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurpal
My crooked wing definitely impacts performance . I ending up "trimming" the left elevon somewhere between 10-20 degrees up just to get this thing to fly straight.

I was thinking about either pulling the tape off and cutting out the glue to attempt to "reshape" the wing to match the other side. Then I thought a heat gun would probably be a LOT easier. What do you all think about heating up the leading edge of this plane to bend it to match the other side? I think I could bend one side up and the other down in order to get them to match.

If you are having trouble visualizing what I mean I will post pictures of how the wing turned out tomorrow.
Myself I'd just cut the center joint and reglue it with a block under each wingtip and the center on your work surface, 1 in dihedral should be enough. I have even built a couple with no dihedral and they flew as good as with it.
If the problem is actually the shape of your airfoil, your heat gun might be the easiest fix on your wing though.
By the way I cut out the f117 from dollar tree foam board, don't have small enough motor for it right now. So it has been shelved for the time being. Cut out and started glueing up a kf foiled B2 from GPW's build thread. They are great flyers also. But, I still have amotor looking for a Nutz to live on.
j4ck4 is offline Find More Posts by j4ck4
Old Jun 25, 2009, 06:03 PM
new pic, same plane....
Dayton MN
Joined Jan 2008
1,055 Posts
AAlmost done with mine. i started yesterday on it. I like that all the pieces you cut out are all straight lines...Makes for really easy and accurate.
sketchanderase is offline Find More Posts by sketchanderase
Old Jun 27, 2009, 03:01 AM
up up and away
United States, LA, Ferriday
Joined Mar 2008
361 Posts
my 42 in ws fff wing

heres my second fff wing. Didn't get pics of my first. On my maiden flight my wing basically disinagrated in mid air. i guess i was going to fast.lol Had to be going atleast 100 mph. My setup is hxt 2845 2700kv inrunner,60 amp supersimple esc, hxt ubec, hextronix mg servos, 2-2 cell turnigy 2200 mah lipos in series,hitec o5s receiver,master airscrew 5.5x4.5 prop. It was fast. so i decided to build another and beef up the structure alot more. hope to get video by monday. Well heres a couple of pics.I didn't do a good tape job but hey, it will work.
ac_rite90 is offline Find More Posts by ac_rite90
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:58 PM
Foam Wannabe
Joined Nov 2005
578 Posts
I think it looks great, should look really good in the air. I also like the half finished beer next to it, ha.

How did you attach the motor mount? Can you get a picture of that? Is it one of the Hobbycity motor mounts?

I'll be watching for the video.

Ron
rcallison is offline Find More Posts by rcallison
Old Jun 27, 2009, 01:26 PM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
man that looks sweet
daydreamer is offline Find More Posts by daydreamer
Old Jun 27, 2009, 06:54 PM
up up and away
Joined Mar 2008
361 Posts
It is a hobbycity motor mount.I used thin ply sandwiched between top and bottom layers of foam on both sides and and bolted the motor mount to it. I didn't have a good maiden today. Both of my servos came loose and nosed it in. second flight, one of my 7/16 dowel rod broke about 10 inches from the end. But guess what, it still flew. Then my motor shut down in flight. The motor was extremely hot. I never had problems w/ this motor, but I'll figure it out on my next build. I should have another one built in a couple of days.

Thanks for the compliments. Hope to get a video next weekend. I didn't get any footage this time because as soon as i hand launched I gave it half throttle and she went down and i couldn't control it. Here is a pic of the damage and pics of the motor mount.
Last edited by ac_rite90; Jun 27, 2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: added pics
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:20 AM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_rite90
It is a hobbycity motor mount.I used thin ply sandwiched between top and bottom layers of foam on both sides and and bolted the motor mount to it. I didn't have a good maiden today. Both of my servos came loose and nosed it in. second flight, one of my 7/16 dowel rod broke about 10 inches from the end. But guess what, it still flew. Then my motor shut down in flight. The motor was extremely hot. I never had problems w/ this motor, but I'll figure it out on my next build. I should have another one built in a couple of days.

Thanks for the compliments. Hope to get a video next weekend. I didn't get any footage this time because as soon as i hand launched I gave it half throttle and she went down and i couldn't control it. Here is a pic of the damage and pics of the motor mount.
Looks like your prop might be on backwards?

Robert
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Jun 28, 2009, 04:02 PM
Foam Wannabe
Joined Nov 2005
578 Posts
I had the same thought when I looked at it initially, prop might be backwards. That would probably account for the hot motor.

Ron
rcallison is offline Find More Posts by rcallison
Old Jun 28, 2009, 11:05 PM
up up and away
Joined Mar 2008
361 Posts
Aren't the numbers on the prop suppose to face the front of the plane regardless of the motor being on front or back of the plane. If I'm wrong please let me know.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 02:29 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
You are correct
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:45 PM
IFO's are planes too
Petersburg, Va.
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Alright, here's my version of the FFF Bluecor wing. I'm going to try and maiden it this weekend. Yes, that is a working ram air induction cooling sytem for the internal flight gear and motor. I hope it will work without affecting the flight too much. I won't know till I flyer. I always wanted to build a plane with a hood scoop. What a cool design for a wing. Thanks daydreamer and scottflight for this great thread.
Al.
atone1 is offline Find More Posts by atone1
Old Jun 30, 2009, 05:55 PM
new pic, same plane....
Dayton MN
Joined Jan 2008
1,055 Posts
I am currently in the proccess of painting mine. I am doing the bottome and top with a center area of metallic silver, the bottom black, the top sides green and blue, and with a red wingtip on both the top and bottom of one wing. I am using enamel spray paints. It has actually eaten the foam some if you get too thick of a coat on it. This has happened in only one spotso I added masking tape to that area and repainted it. The problem I am coming up with is that the paint peels off of the areas where packing tape was used when painters tape is applied. I have found a way to cover the area without using tape, but is there any way to make it so the paint doesn't peel off? like some sort of sealer? or should I sand with steel wool on the packing tape?
sketchanderase is offline Find More Posts by sketchanderase