HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2009, 07:40 PM
United States, CA, Poway
Joined Jan 2006
546 Posts
deleted
jpinn is online now Find More Posts by jpinn
Last edited by jpinn; Apr 13, 2009 at 08:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2009, 09:16 PM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher
According to waveoscope, approximately 53 mph assuming 15 degrees celsius temperature. Accurate to plus or minus 2.5 mph.

Not bad for a 9 amp motor...
Oh cool, hey I appreciate that Yeah, that's not too shabby for a little motor like that.

.....hehe 9amps makes for a good long flight even when using a 1000mah 3s and playing near WOT for most of the run.
Ah but the speed bug is in my ear now......won't be long before a much faster motor combo finds it's way over here

many thanks!

--Ray

EDIT.......I just learned that the Emax 2805 red motors can have 2 different KV values.......a 1600kv and 2840kv winds. Well it's obvious I have the 1600KV model so the mystery is solved (mystery was how the hades could a 2800+KV motor only pull 9amps on a 6x3 prop! ).
Wrench66 is online now Find More Posts by Wrench66
Last edited by Wrench66; Apr 14, 2009 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Just discovered real KV of this motor
Old Apr 14, 2009, 05:51 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,546 Posts
My boy and I took the wing out again this morning and tried a couple of different setups. The breeze was up just a bit and I wondered how the wing would take to it. Maybe 8-10mph sustained.
For the first run, I substituted the 5x5apc prop we ended with yesterday (this is the one that we ran the speed test with) with a 6x4 Apc prop. The Wattmeter shows 12amps and 137 watts and during the first flight it was noticeably stronger AND had a higher top speed. The wing will climb vertically now where with 5x5 it would pull up and stop after a short time, I wouldn't say it's unlimited vertical but it does slowly keep climbing. Runtime was a bit shorter but I imagined it would be with a higher amp draw...no biggie, still near 6min of practically all WOT.
The second run I replaced the 1000mah 3s with a 1600mah 3s, pushed back on the velcro to keep the CG about the same. The first thing we both noticed was that the wing seemed to be less affected by the breeze, tracking even smoother through all maneuvers and aerobatics we put it through. What impressed us even more was that the wing was handling the extra weight (added 2.1oz for an auw of just over 15oz) of the battery and only needed a couple of beeps of up trim. Vertical climb was not effected and she would just pull up until I told it to come down
As expected, the glide slope was just as nice on the way back in to another great landing. Xlnt, I can ALWAYS use another good windy day flyer

A new wing owner and flier, I have to say I'm hooked!

--Ray
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:13 PM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
I can't believe, when i first posted this wing in 2005 it would be so popular. This was just one of those things i figured i could give back to rcgroups where i learned so much. then behold scottflight took over and made a great build thread. We live in the same area just never met. maybe one day when it gets nice we can hook up and see who can build the fastest one. that would be cool. I curently wound a motor thet is a double gobrushless that puts out 20oz thrust 6x5.5 prop 225watts 23amps i would like to put on a new wing and really test the structure i dont know how fast but when this things turning it sounds like a ducted fan. So Sott we should fly some time
daydreamer is offline Find More Posts by daydreamer
Old Apr 18, 2009, 07:51 AM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
366 Posts
Daydreamer! Yep, looks like a lot of people have had good success with your design. We should definitely fly, though it looks like we will both be snowed in this weekend. Snow and work are really getting in the way of my flying! I'm in Arvada.
scottflight is offline Find More Posts by scottflight
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:10 AM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
Yeah. Scott I Agree, The weather is beautiful, but for flying it's another. How is it where you fly? Is there alot of obsticles? or is it pretty open? I still fly at the northglenn open space, on a 112th. Been there now for i think 13yrs or so. i did get the plane finished to day. She's going to be hot. 2200 3s1p running the above mentioned motor i may change to a 6x4 though for speed
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:28 PM
denver colorado
Joined Jan 2004
352 Posts
Hey daydreamer, Ijust noticed you are close to me also. We have been flying at the Thornton rec center soccer fields for about 13 years also.Maybe we have met before? We just got kicked out of the park by the city so I am on the hunt for a new spot to fly.Where is the Northglenn spot? Maybe we can fly together sometime?
topher is online now Find More Posts by topher
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:10 PM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
it's basically 112th and pecos you can't miss it i'll probably be there saturday if it's nice. I've only flown twice at the rec center. to many complainers there. I see it worked. that's to bad. heres the new plane 13oz AUW bad pics though
Last edited by daydreamer; Apr 21, 2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 04:23 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,546 Posts
#2!

I've been having such a great time this past week with my orig wing, I flew 5 batteries through it last sunday at our field, that I decided to build a few more for some friends who wanted one soon after tossing mine around a bit

Daydreamer, Scottflight........xlnt plane, that airframe is so right, thank you!!

here's the video of me FINALLY figuring out how to launch it successfully EVERYTIME LOL LOL

Over the shoulder wing launch (0 min 43 sec)

Pictures below are of #2 being finished up, just before the winglets and radio go on.

--Ray
Old May 06, 2009, 05:33 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
Just finished the build. Here is my set up:

1700 kv blue wonder
Tower pro 12 amp ESC
1300 mAH 3s zippy battery pack
5x3 --> 6x3.5 master air screw prop.

AUW: 9.45 oz

Planning on painting this plane after I know I can successfully fly it. I started by gluing the leading edge of this plane together contrary to plans, but I used gorilla glue and the glue loosened the tape while it was drying. The sides don't match each other quite right but I will see if it impacts performance. I just couldn't come to terms with not gluing a plane together.
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal
Old May 06, 2009, 06:52 PM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
Don't worry there is no need for glue, on this plane. At all. It is very durable, with out it I've crashed mine going full speed, and just ended up with a crinkled up nose, If you glue it you'll end up with a brittle front nose, that will explode on impact. With it just taped up, you could just stuff it with tissue, to pop it back out, put a little more tape on it and your good to go.All in about five minutes.
Old May 08, 2009, 07:54 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,551 Posts
Blu-Wing Float

I've been using my 5-foot model for just about everything: combat, soaring, formation, night flying, and now... float flying.

It's such a versatile and rugged design, I can't stop adapting it. Weather was bad today, but I'm hoping nature will cooperate so that I can maiden it tomorrow.
KFC is online now Find More Posts by KFC
Old May 17, 2009, 06:54 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,568 Posts
How do you stear that in water?
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old May 18, 2009, 12:08 PM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
920 Posts
I built another last week maidened Saturday about 7:00pm cst, flies great with a bp21 and 9x6 sf prop on a 1250mah rhino 2s 20c pack and a 25amp esc. Going to try and get some video of her this week.
j4ck4 is offline Find More Posts by j4ck4
Old May 18, 2009, 04:20 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher
How do you stear that in water?
The elevons act like air brakes when I have them on high rates. I just push the stick in the direction I want the plane to turn. It flies pretty well in calm weather, but tends to be unstable on the water when its windy.
KFC is online now Find More Posts by KFC