HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:00 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher
Finally got all the electronics installed and got 2 flights in this morning. This is a nice flying wing. Smooth and floaty. Easy to launch and easy to land. Also has a good speed range. Fly slow or up to about 60 mph or so.

I moved my Park 400 4200 kv from my small wing to this wing. I did use a GWS gearbox with a 2.8 to 1 gear ratio and a 7x5 prop. The plane weighs 17 oz but generates 28 oz of thrust!

Part of the reason I moved the power system was that I was using a 4.1x4.1 prop on that high kv motor. While I did get 80 mph out it, it was really sucking down the power. Only 6 minute flights on an 1800 mah battery. I was running that motor way too inefficiently... But geared 2.8 to 1 with a 7x5 prop and now I'm getting over 10 minutes easily (probably more). After 8 minutes I still had 11.45 volts on the pack... Dramatic improvement in power consumption and efficiency.

Probably my only gripe is that I had to cut in quite a bit for the motor in order to get everything to balance. The battery is about as forward as I can get it...

Here's the video! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1019897
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:15 PM
Joined Jul 2008
613 Posts
very nice.

If you need to get the balance one option is to buy a larger (heavier) battery pack.

I ended up cutting the back into my previous larger wings quite a bit as well.
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Old Mar 20, 2009, 11:48 PM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
959 Posts
Well I just finished one of these up tonite, ended up with a 33 1/2" span, motor is a Hextronics outrunner turning a cut down 8x6 prop 1250mah lipo 30 amp esc, pico+ bb servos wind forcast says 5mph here at 7:00am so going to try and maiden if it's not raining. Will also try and get some pics uploaded maybe video. Hey if anyone is interested check out the video on the kline Fogleman flying wing thread of the 8' wing Dickeroo just linked to.
j4ck4 is offline Find More Posts by j4ck4
Old Mar 21, 2009, 09:51 AM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
959 Posts
Got a short maiden in this morning misting rain and 4-6mph gusty winds. Flies a little bit squirrely but I just needed to trim her a little. Should be good now if the wind will lay. Oh yeah she's auw 15.1oz, with a 20c 1250mah 3cell lipo.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:01 PM
new pic, same plane....
Dayton MN
Joined Jan 2008
1,055 Posts
are there plans for this?
sketchanderase is offline Find More Posts by sketchanderase
Old Mar 24, 2009, 08:16 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchanderase
are there plans for this?
Plans are on page 1 for the 32" version and page 15 for the 42" version. Anything in between is up to you - just scale the dimensions...
Old Apr 11, 2009, 08:59 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,615 Posts
NiteWing prototype

Having pretty much thrashed my wing to the point of replacement, I thought I'd try and test a light arrangement for it and this is what I came up with...

I'm using 6 of light wires: one white, 3 green, and 2 red. I'm also using 4 high intensity LEDs on the front of the underside for landing lights.

I plan on doing the maiden tonight, and if the setup works well enough, I will transfer it to one of my new wings.
KFC is online now Find More Posts by KFC
Old Apr 11, 2009, 04:35 PM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRazor_77
Having pretty much thrashed my wing to the point of replacement, I thought I'd try and test a light arrangement for it and this is what I came up with...

I'm using 6 of light wires: one white, 3 green, and 2 red. I'm also using 4 high intensity LEDs on the front of the underside for landing lights.

I plan on doing the maiden tonight, and if the setup works well enough, I will transfer it to one of my new wings.
Hey I need some of those for my KFM1 wing I just finished.

Jack
Old Apr 13, 2009, 04:42 AM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,578 Posts
I just finished building the 32in WS version this evening. I've been flying for over a year now and love scratchbuilding but this is my first true wing build (I have done a 22in delta, it is a puller though) and my first true pusher plane.
I went with an Emax 2805 red motor supposedly 2800+kv and a 1000mah 3s Zippy pack. Now, I say supposedly 'cause I have wattmetered this little dear at only 9a on a 6x3 prop. The specs say no bigger than 5" for fear of over amping the motor. Hmmm, I think it's a bit lower kv than they're letting on....ok, whatever it still pulls good (better than 1:1 by the "hold it vertical and gas it" test) and doesn't draw much....done
I have done some extensive glide testing with this plane to try and pin down any CG issues prior to the first powered flight. What I have noticed on my particular plane is that for it to glide well (like we all want) the CG has come back and inch or so, now settling just beyond the 8" mark. Seems a bit aft, but even here I still need a bit of up elevon (reflex) so I have to think I am reasonably close enough for powered flight testing.
With the recommended CG starting point, I could not get the plane to glide much at all, except with the elevons kicked up well beyond "trimmed".........I pulled the 1550 3s battery off I had planned to use and replaced it with the 1000 3s I had in reserve.....approx a 2oz difference between them, and only then was I able to lower the elevon reflex and have the plane produce a nice flat glide that was good enough to float all the way across my back lawn and donk into the neighbor's block wall 30ft away! Thank goodness I reinforced her nose with the bamboo and bi-directional packing tape or she may have begun her maiden with a pre-krinkled nose!
I am not sure why some of the posts I have read don't include the builder doing any preflight glides or tosses. The things I have learned (and keep learning) through just throwing my RC planes around have lead to most of my maidens being good ones. Of course there have been times where torque rolling and general powered variances have lead to some wild first few seconds but the majority have all been debugged and pretrimmed through hand tossed gliding.

Anyway, with this xlnt glide and with a weight of 13oz & 6.5oz sqin windloading I expect the maiden to be a positive one.

Fingers crossed

--Ray
Wrench66 is offline Find More Posts by Wrench66
Last edited by Wrench66; Apr 13, 2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 12:28 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,578 Posts
Success!!!

At approx 7:30am , with absolutely perfect weather conditions, my new wing took her first powered flight. I went through all my preflight checks and gave her an overhand throttle off toss......she was gliding well as I gave a little up elevator and began to throttle up. Zero issues with this one as it picked up speed and altitude up to my comfort zone (we all have that "ok, it's up enough, I'll trim it a bit and then check her stall atitude" right? )
I had to trim the initial reflex back a bit as she was wanting to climb, a few clicks of down and a couple of right to get her flying level, I throttled it up to full and waited for any surprises I had wisely programmed a ton of expo into my radio before takeoff and I was immediately happy with that decision. Leaving the total throw at 100% but with 75% expo on both aileron and elevator allowed some easy flights with xlnt rolls and very tight loops. A+
Aerobatics are great fun and really the only performance envelope that seems to be lacking is top speed.......she's kinda slow for a wing (they're 'sposed to be fast...right??). But I do have faster props to try so it may be as simple as going from the 6x3 to a 5x5, next time.
After approx 4min I decided to bring her in and see about the glide slope. Drop the throttle to almost zero and aim her for the runway, ............and watch as it glides past your intended touchdown area and now I'm glad I still have battery left as I power back up for another try at the landing zone. This time, well aware, I throttle back a ways before final and was again amazed at the huge glide slope AND how much control I was keeping all the way to flare! I felt like even near touching I could have throttled it up a bit and held her at 3ft off the deck cruising around my little field in a slow harrrier type move. Very nice, and I never missed the rudder
I quick check of all power systems showed a dead cold motor, esc and battery as well so I can amp up a bit a get my speed higher for next time...xlnt.

The summary is that Scottflight's wing build is a fun project that flies straight off the build table and with some prefight CG adjustments it was a very enjoyable maiden

Wish they all were as easy! HA.

--Ray
Last edited by Wrench66; Apr 13, 2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: sprelling was encoract
Old Apr 13, 2009, 01:53 PM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
959 Posts
Hey Wrench great maiden report, always do a few cg test tosses on my wings and such but never really have nay issues to report. I maidened 2 KFM1 wings this past week, and both flew well, as have all of the scottflight wings I've built. Only time I have any issues on maiden is if I am building a plane with rudder and elevator. The wings as you stated seem to want to fly right off the build table. I thought the other day as I was finishing up the 2nd kfm wing, "hey, if I had some rails on this table and a garage door instead of living room outside the door I could probably just hit the throttle and fly right out the door.
I truley do love wings.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 02:00 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench66
Aerobatics are great fun and really the only performance envelope that seems to be lacking is top speed.......she's kinda slow for a wing (they're 'sposed to be fast...right??).
--Ray
Oh, they can be... Just depends on how you power it. I made a 34" wing (32" wing scaled up a little). I had mine up to 80 mph with crazy vertical performance. But it was a power hog. Sucked down an 1800 mAh pack in 6 minutes. I later built a 42" wing from the 2nd set of plans on this thread (page 15) and used the same motor but in a gearbox with a larger prop. Now it only gets 60 mph and still awesome vertical but now I get 12-14 minute flights on that same battery! And I actually like the slower more floaty flight characterics of the larger wing. Not to mention it's a lot easier to see when it's far away...
Old Apr 13, 2009, 02:29 PM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
959 Posts
Yeah I have a Eflite park 450 on the second kfwig I built. I have awesome performance, and a 1250mah 3cell will last about 12 15 min, but, with a 2150mah 3cell I flew about 12 mins. and landed with lots of power left in the pack.
These kf wings I built are 48". Posted some video of one of them over on the kf wing thread, it's of the one I have a Hextronik Kv: 1300rpm/v motor on and a cut dwon 8x6 gws prop on, also some pics of it over there. If you want to check it out.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 03:25 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,578 Posts
hehe....had such a great time that I grabbed my video cam and my son and went back to tape a run just so I might ask someone to doppler it.
I changed the prop to a 5x5 and it seemed to make a difference in top end, but lost some thrust at lower speeds (makes sense).

Anyone help me out?? The video below is of the best run.

I love this little wing!!!!!!!!

BTW....lots of talk about the KF style wing being used here.....is that where this plane has evolved to? I haven't built a KF wing yet, having too much success with this conventional airfoil

--Ray

Flying wing speed run, maiden day 4-13-09 (0 min 15 sec)
Old Apr 13, 2009, 08:22 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,636 Posts
According to waveoscope, approximately 53 mph assuming 15 degrees celsius temperature. Accurate to plus or minus 2.5 mph.

Not bad for a 9 amp motor...