3,691 Posts
slacker how fast is it?
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:56 PM
denver colorado
Joined Jan 2004
354 Posts
Got her covered and ready to try! I need to make a small fairing to cover the top of the mount and motor wires.
topher is offline Find More Posts by topher
Old Feb 19, 2009, 08:04 PM
denver colorado
Joined Jan 2004
354 Posts
This is how mine start out. Slacker is making his out of Microspeedwings kits. Mine are slightly heavier, but cheap!!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:11 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Nov 2007
1,292 Posts
Topher

That might be the best looking plane you've ever built!
G-Forse is offline Find More Posts by G-Forse
Old Feb 20, 2009, 06:56 AM
More Trim
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2007
505 Posts
I think I had the plan for this at one time. But cant seem to find it. Can someone help me find it. I would like to build one of those myself. And I am sure you are using fan fold foam right.
More Trim.
More Trim is offline Find More Posts by More Trim
Old Feb 20, 2009, 07:12 AM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
930 Posts
Look on the first page, there isn't really a plan per say, and I use the info on CenTex's website.
http://home1.gte.net/texhills/index.html

Have fun lots of thrills to be had here.
j4ck4 is offline Find More Posts by j4ck4
Old Feb 20, 2009, 09:13 PM
denver colorado
Joined Jan 2004
354 Posts
If your looking to make the 16" version. check out woolebugr,s post #576 on page 39. He has a drawing with the exact dimensions to cut the wing panels. (thanks woolebugr!) I used that to make a template out of cardboard.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 09:37 PM
Joined Dec 2006
68 Posts
topher, how much does it weigh?
theslacker44 is offline Find More Posts by theslacker44
Old Feb 20, 2009, 09:47 PM
Joined Dec 2006
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6
slacker how fast is it?
Its realy hard to judge the speed on the 16" wings they look like there going twice as fast as they probably are, but I would say 70 to 90mph with the set up im using.
theslacker44 is offline Find More Posts by theslacker44
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:53 PM
denver colorado
Joined Jan 2004
354 Posts
Weighs 5 oz empty. Only .2 ozs heavier than the medusa powered one.Definately not a glider but hopefully nice and fast.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:35 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,080 Posts
Well, gentlemen, I just finished my FFF wing last night. I maidened it this morning. Well, actually last night I did a few circuits in my front yard under the street lights. Ended up crashing into a bush haha.

Did a real maiden this morning. I used a GoBrushless 16T GBx CDR motor with an 3s 800 mah lipo and a CC Pheonix 10. All up weight was 8.8 oz. I'll get some pics up a bit later on.

All in all the plane is my new favorite. It's my first flying wing and my third FFF plane. I previously built a Depron Delta out of FFF and a Polaris out of FFF.

I did a "frisbee" type launch under full power at about 45 up and the thing rocketed away. Super stable in any attitude and really nimble. Not too fast which is just fine with me.

I think I'll be building a few more of these of varying sizes!

Thanks for the plans!!!
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:09 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,619 Posts
Working on a 42" wing - CG question...

I've got some old brushed Stryker guts after upgrading my Stryker a couple years ago. I decided to put it to use in a 42" wing. I'll use a lipo instead of the old 8 cell nmih pack.

Here's what I've built so far... The wing is built and the artwork complete. Just need to install the electronics... The airframe alone only weighs 5 oz. But the old stryker electronics and a 3s battery together weigh about 10.5 oz so we're looking at a 16 oz plane with about 14 oz of thrust and maybe 40-45 mph speed. With it being 7 oz lighter than the Stryker, the old brushed 480 motor should do pretty good.

I know it would do a lot better with brushless but I'm trying to put some old electronics to use and the foam is so cheap so...

Question? The C.G wasn't quite mentioned for the 42" wing plans on page 15. I found one quote that it was 7" from the tip of the nose. Is this correct? What CG are you using on your 42" wing?
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Feb 24, 2009, 06:53 AM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbucher
I've got some old brushed Stryker guts after upgrading my Stryker a couple years ago. I decided to put it to use in a 42" wing. I'll use a lipo instead of the old 8 cell nmih pack.

Here's what I've built so far... The wing is built and the artwork complete. Just need to install the electronics... The airframe alone only weighs 5 oz. But the old stryker electronics and a 3s battery together weigh about 10.5 oz so we're looking at a 16 oz plane with about 14 oz of thrust and maybe 40-45 mph speed. With it being 7 oz lighter than the Stryker, the old brushed 480 motor should do pretty good.

I know it would do a lot better with brushless but I'm trying to put some old electronics to use and the foam is so cheap so...

Question? The C.G wasn't quite mentioned for the 42" wing plans on page 15. I found one quote that it was 7" from the tip of the nose. Is this correct? What CG are you using on your 42" wing?
You can use this calculator to set your cg http://www.willhaney.com/zagnutz/
Mine usually are in the range of 7 - 81/2". Just shift your battery around, I have been flying these with both a gws 350b gear and a 400a gear and they do fly great. I'm actually using a 7.4v nimh pack out of a Hobbyzone Supercub. So, your Stryker electronics if I understand anything about Strykers should make it a rocket.
Have fun these are great wings, and if you want a little spice check out the Kline Fogleman build thread lots of great ideas over there.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558321 Wings rule!!
Old Feb 24, 2009, 06:56 AM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
930 Posts
Oh, by the way great looking wing!! Are the graphics tape?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 03:52 PM
More Trim
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2007
505 Posts
OH man looking good.
More Trim is offline Find More Posts by More Trim