SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:07 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Put a J250 with a 4x4 or 4x2.5 prop on there with your 2S and you will be set!!!
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:10 PM
Look out for my plane!
Michigan
Joined Sep 2005
432 Posts
May be too nose heavy then... CoG could be off. Not sure if it would help or not with the nose dive but you could try putting some winglets on it as well.. I think that is more for stability but who knows.. What size prop were you using also with the 180 - might not have enough thrust to get it going without a nice hard toss - not quite a baseball throw but a decent one still. And only on a very slight up angle so it does not stall on you.
ElSeeker is offline Find More Posts by ElSeeker
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:13 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
Prop and motor was some left over thing from a Cox Micro Corsair. That was a mistake I know, but was all i had lying around and my LHS was closed. Will get more stuff tommorrow.
Water Boy is offline Find More Posts by Water Boy
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:35 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Ahhh success!!! Changed prop to an APC 6x5.5 and she flew with some authority. Now I have some vertical power, not unlimited but I have vertical! Speed went up, say to 45-50 mph. Would love to get it to 70 mph but I would definitely have to change motors and batteries. Got the CG set so I can fly with different size lipos in the same spot with little to no change in flight characteristics. It's very hard to tip stall but it can happen when you turn to sharp to slow. Rolls pretty good with a little drop in altitude.

Launches are pretty easy with the little skid on the bottom. I just chunk it hard and hit the throttle. I do think that I'll make another smaller wing or maybe another Alley-cat and put this motor on it with the 5x4.3 prop, then I should be able to hit 70 mph. Just have to keep the AUW to 11 ounces or less. Thanks again for the plans
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:39 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Water boy I second what Fly boy says, get you a j250 and some 4x2.5 or 4x4 props and she will sing you a nice little tune. With your AUW I would say 40 mph easily
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:54 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
Where can I get one? Not familiar with that motor either. I assume its BL, and would a Phoenix 10 be enough? Sorry if I'm being a burden or if asking any dumb questions. Im just really interested in trying wings out. Again thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Got the info I needed on motor
Last edited by Water Boy; Apr 21, 2006 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Got info
Old Apr 21, 2006, 09:16 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Nope its a brushed motor, you can still use your brushed esc with it. I've been using a 10 amp one but I've heard you can get by with a 5 amp one using a 3x3 prop More pitch speed but less thrust.
I see you got the info for the motor but if you check the for sale threads you can sometimes pick one up fairly cheap or check out www.balsapr.com or www.slofly.com where Steve has them for 1.50 a piece!! Fast shipping and great prices.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:52 AM
Wingman2004
South Carolina
Joined Oct 2004
250 Posts
J250 Brushed Motor

I'm using a J 250 with a 10 amp esc and 850mah 7.4 volt lipo, and a 3 x 3 prop. It really screams. I've used it on a 32" fff wing and a 24" blucore MiniZagnutz. These are great little motors and so cheap you can buy 10 of them for what you pay for a small brushless. You won't get vertical flight like you can with some brushless motors, but once you get your speed built up it rocks.
wingman2004 is offline Find More Posts by wingman2004
Old Apr 25, 2006, 01:24 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
367 Posts
Sorry i've been away...for some reason I haven't been getting notifications! Doh.

Anyway, Waterboy, did you have any luck with the J250? I'm betting that the issue was CG, with that light weight equipment it might be tough....if you do get a chance to go brushless with lipo's it is a pretty hot setup.

The himax question from before might work out ok, it's worth a shot, I dont' know what the smaller prop speed might be with the 0980...you would get a ton of thrust. If you can get the speed up with a higher pitch then it might be great.

I'm surprised to hear about the speed 400 and nimh's working out so well. Sounds like this one can take some additional weight. Good stuff. Keep em coming fellas!

S
scottflight is online now Find More Posts by scottflight
Old Apr 25, 2006, 05:37 PM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
What do you guys think of a speed 300 with a 5X5 on a 3 cell 800mah? I have this setup on my 24" alleycat (9.2oz auw) and it is not bad, not super fast but good. Also I have heard of people using a 3 cell on a j250 how in the HECK is it not toast! Any other prop recoamendations for the 300 speed?

Mo.
mohillbilly is offline Find More Posts by mohillbilly
Old Apr 25, 2006, 06:14 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
SF I did get some J250's. Hope that it will be enough, from all the replies and info I could find that motor should be perfect. Heres a pic of my full size wing, not finished yet. Motor is an EFLITE Park 400BL on 3s Lipo and 6x4 prop. Will this be overkill? Or just scream like a banshee?
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:21 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
367 Posts
Mo, yeah, the three cell for a J250 has to be run on like a 3x2 or less or it'll cook. The speed 300....maybe, check for the heat, I bet it will work pretty hard to turn a 5x5. However, the 5x5 is the best prop for this plane that I've found....let us know if the 300 works.

Waterboy, a inrunner 400 like the himax 2025 seems to be what you have on there. My buddy tried a wing with a himax 2025 (basically the same motor) with a 5x5 and an apc 4.75x4.75 or something like that...it basically cooked the motor on three cells. I think the 6x4 will be too much. If you do try it, definitely be gentle on the throttle and come back quickly to check the heat. Also, on the push rods, I usually have my quick connects on the servo arm and use the z bend for the control horn, is there a special reason to have them reversed?

Anybody else having good luck?
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:51 PM
Yep I got another one.
Springfield, Mo.
Joined Jan 2005
2,529 Posts
I'm still building my wing but I know that the 300 on the 800mah 3 cell is a good match I know the brushes will burn out quick but as far a heat goes its just getting hot at the end of the pack so I wouldn't run it over the 10mins I get I think that would cook it. 4 packs on it so far and its holding up.

Mo.
mohillbilly is offline Find More Posts by mohillbilly
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:04 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Woohooo I'm loving this wing!! Change 3 or 4 can't remember but I changed props to an APC 6x4 and 3s Vampower 1050's, probably dropped almost an ounce and she will get up to altitude very quick. With the change in batteries my glide rate increased probably two fold! My field is about one city block long and with the wind at my back it would glide the whole distance and more. Finally had to turn it around as it was going over some building and still gliding all the way back to me with out touching the throttle.

Flight time with mixed WOT and gliding was over 15 minutes. Max amps on this motor is right at 9 amps, so I'm very happy with the performance. Still would like to push it faster but I had a brown box from FedEx waiting on me when I got home. My Devastator has arrived! That should quench my thirst for speed once I figure out a wind for my Komodo 283 motor.
Old Apr 27, 2006, 07:20 AM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
367 Posts
Yeah, I think my 15 turn CDR motor is pulling just under 6 amps with the 1320 3 cell. I get well over 20 minutes, and I run at WOT almost the whole time. That's great about the glide. Mine glides pretty well too, even with the 1320. I did try a 6x4 prop ( a cut down DD GWS 8x4), worked pretty good, I think I was pulling 7 amps or so and it did have more thrust, with approximately the same top end.

What weight did it come in at after everything? Mine is about 11 oz, actually just under.