Old Sep 06, 2008, 07:55 AM
More Trim
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2007
505 Posts
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatulator
Hmmmmm, those goalpost thingies sound a whole lot like the lamp post thingies that frequent my favorite flying field. A few months ago one of them jumped in front of my Simple Delta with unfavorable results

ah yea. a little glue and tape and it is ready to go again. lol
More Trim is offline Find More Posts by More Trim
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2008, 08:21 AM
Joined Jul 2008
570 Posts

Picture of the finished 22oz flying wing (built to original dimensions).

I've replaced the wingtips with thinner, shorter and wider corroplast ones. Not had the chance to test it yet as it is a bit too gusty (my flying field has lots of turbulence in the wind because of it's surroundings).
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Old Sep 06, 2008, 03:17 PM
Joined Jul 2008
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottflight
lol

ahhhh yes, the old goalpost trick. Someone put those in where I fly too, with the same results I might add....
Nice to know i'm not the only one.

I did feel quite stupid afterwards. Then i wished i'd at least caught it on film.

The only plus side is that i got to look at exactly how the thing failed and altered the design of the second one accordingly.

Have you built any heavier more powerful wings of this design scottflight or are yours all lighter?

Anyone looking for a faster heavier more powerful wing - I would certainly recommend this design. It seems stable, easy to control and tough.
Last edited by teslahed; Sep 07, 2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2008, 01:55 PM
Wing & A Prayer
Mobile, Alabama
Joined Nov 2005
183 Posts
In case anyone is actually still using up old brushed J-250's, they can't handle 3-cells and a 4.5x4 APC .........I flew around for maybe 5 min, mostly 1/2 throttle and thought it cut out because my battery died (which would have been odd but....).

When I powered it back up w/ a fresh battery before tossing back in the air it made a cute little fire for a second or 2 before giving up the ghost permanently. It did have decent thrust for that few min. though.
sobamaflyer is offline Find More Posts by sobamaflyer
Old Sep 09, 2008, 10:29 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
365 Posts
Nope, most of mine are sub 13 oz. They are plenty fast for me...still cut through the wind too. I had the regular size one out in 30 mph winds this summer, crazy fun, rockets up.
scottflight is offline Find More Posts by scottflight
Old Sep 10, 2008, 11:45 AM
Joined Jul 2008
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottflight
Nope, most of mine are sub 13 oz. They are plenty fast for me...still cut through the wind too. I had the regular size one out in 30 mph winds this summer, crazy fun, rockets up.
The first one i built was a bit heavy at 19oz but didn't have as powerful a motor. The current one flies better, even though it is heavier, and i can imagine it flies much differently to a 12oz wing.

Not that i'm saying it's better than a much lighter wing; just saying that it flies differently but very nicely and might be worth a try for anyone who has built a few dozen of the lighter type and fancies a change. The increased weight doesn't seem to cause performance problems as long as you up spec the motor / speed controller etc. If you just build a heavier plane with the same gear you will be dissapointed.

I have put together a very simple website http://www.leperszone.net/christelford/ with a few pictures and some text on the build if anyone is interested. Would it be ok if i link to this thread and give scotflight credit as the original poster? I did read all the stuff you wrote about not being the original creator but you certainly introduced me to the idea.

The next one i build will be similar to this one (same electronics) only with a few mods to try and shave off some weight without making it weaker. The one after that will probably be a sub 13oz floater so that i can play with the original design.

In other news; i managed to fly under the goalposts a couple of times before coliding head on again with the horizontal bar. I was flying slightly slower this time and i had designed the plane specifically to address the way the previous one failed in the last collision and it took almost no damage as a result. Just the engine dismounted (quick superglue fix) and the battery came flying out. Lucky really.
Last edited by teslahed; Sep 10, 2008 at 12:22 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:20 PM
Wing & A Prayer
Mobile, Alabama
Joined Nov 2005
183 Posts
The problem is noone is going to tell you to build heavy for heavy's sake. Sure it works (as evidence by your nice performing wing) but there are way more drawbacks than benefits.

Definately try both ways and find the differences in them I say. This whole hobby is about experimentation, victories and failures IMO .
Old Sep 10, 2008, 12:25 PM
Joined Jul 2008
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobamaflyer
The problem is noone is going to tell you to build heavy for heavy's sake. Sure it works (as evidence by your nice performing wing) but there are way more drawbacks than benefits.

Definately try both ways and find the differences in them I say. This whole hobby is about experimentation, victories and failures IMO .
I didn't add weight or build heavy for heavies sake. The weight came naturally from using EPP then reinforcing it with carbon fibre. The result, other than greater weight and (by necessity) power, is greater crash proofing. EPP really is very resilient when properly used and i've managed quite a few serious crashes with no damage to the structure whatesoever.

Just saying that the weight has it's advantages (as well as disadvantages, obviously).

If you have a plentiful supply of FFF and like building lots of these things then this would count for less as an advantage...

Edit - just came back from the field. Very windy and turbulent. I crashed into the goalpost again! Took no damage except the control horn popped off, so a 1 min repair job with the glue. I don't think FFF would have held up so well, but then most of you guys probably wouldn't have crashed into the goalpost so many times... (i've only been flying 4 months now which may explain the attraction that bullet proof designs have for me)
Last edited by teslahed; Sep 10, 2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:18 PM
Wing & A Prayer
Mobile, Alabama
Joined Nov 2005
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teslahed
but then most of you guys probably wouldn't have crashed into the goalpost so many times... (i've only been flying 4 months now which may explain the attraction that bullet proof designs have for me)
You keep telling yourself that .......the only time I succeed in NOT hitting the goalpost (or fence post, or the dog) is when I'm actually trying to hit them and I've been tinkering w/ these flying objects for several years now.

(no, I don't aim for my dog, I was kidding for effect so stop the email to PETA). I did accidentally hit a monster light-pole a while ago and the wing stumbled for 10-15' and just kept on going, haven't been able to re-create that since .
Old Sep 12, 2008, 02:51 PM
Joined Jul 2008
570 Posts
Quote:
(no, I don't aim for my dog, I was kidding for effect so stop the email to PETA). I did accidentally hit a monster light-pole a while ago and the wing stumbled for 10-15' and just kept on going, haven't been able to re-create that since .
Flying yesterday i was concentrating on my plane, which was nice and high out the way of any obsticles (or so i thought) when i almost hit a heron!

It just came flying in a straight line on an intercept course out of nowhere

I swerved out of the way and the heron let out an amusing sqawk and also swerved. Unfortunately we both swerved in the same direction so i had to dive down and land.

I waited for the heron to go before flying again. I don't want the RSPB after me!

My plans for the weekend include a new wing built the same way as my old one but hopefully a bit lighter. It wont be <13oz but hopefully <20...
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:04 PM
Kingston, OK
Joined Aug 2005
234 Posts
Scottflight: Thanks for the plans and the design, I love the simplicty of this wing. Building according to plan using FFF and starting #3. The speed range is really good and 20min + flights are very common. Iam using a 2208/17 1100kv motor from RC Hot Deals and 3s 1300mah G Force battery. AUW is 11oz. Thanks again for sharing the ideas.

Before the first flight on #3 Iam going to bang the nose on the table to give it some shape and wrinkle. Might as well start out that way and save time doing it at the field.

RT
RTHawk is offline Find More Posts by RTHawk
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:01 PM
Joined Jul 2008
570 Posts
Ok, well after my adventure into heavy weight high powered EPP versions of this design (quite successful as well, if i do say so myself :-) ) i've decided build a new lighter one.

I've gotten the weight down to 9oz all up, including carbon fibre wing spars and a fair bit of gluegun glue reinforcing the nose, without ditching the EPP construction.

How have i managed this? I cheated. I reduced the wing span to 62cm whilst keeping the angles and proportions roughly the same.

Unfortunately it is currently quite stormy where i live, and forcast to continue for the rest of the week, so i haven't had a chance to maiden it yet. I'd be surprised if it doesn't fly, but i have no idea what it will fly like, slow, fast, manouverable, as i've never flown a wing this small before.

Any advice welcomed...

Edit - new pics of the finished nose and underneath. In the first one you can see the black carbon fibre spar running along the bottom of the wing.

Last edited by teslahed; Oct 20, 2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:26 PM
Wing & A Prayer
Mobile, Alabama
Joined Nov 2005
183 Posts
turn down your throws and maybe add in expo more than your other larger version had. The smaller the wing the easier it seems to be over-controlled.

Let us know how it flies, I for one and looking forward to the report .

.......I'm on the 3rd J-250 on my current version with dozens of flights out of my back yard, simply the best flying bird I keep in the hangar.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 01:44 PM
Joined Jul 2008
570 Posts
Quote:
turn down your throws and maybe add in expo more than your other larger version had. The smaller the wing the easier it seems to be over-controlled.

Let us know how it flies, I for one and looking forward to the report
Thanks, that's useful to know.

I'm using a spectrum Dx6i so i can dial up the expo and play with the rates easily enough.

The model has rather large control surfaces. I'm hoping that this will work well at low speeds combined with adjustable throws but if not i can always trim them down.

I tried to add some dyhedral when i was building it;

Hopefully this will add some stability.

It's running off of one of these with a 2 cell battery, although i can up it to 3 as soon as i buy one;

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/product_in...56c8c05b8df0b5

So it's not exactly high powered.
Last edited by teslahed; Oct 20, 2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 04:16 AM
Joined Jul 2008
570 Posts
Quote:
let us know how it flies, I for one and looking forward to the report .
Well i tried it this morning, just now, even though it was too windy really for a maiden flight.

First i flew in the larger field. The wind was quite strong and blustery but it flew fine on the first throw, climbing happily at 30 degreesish and turning without problems. I flew it again after adding some weight to the nose and it flew slightly better in the wind.

Since it seems underpowered i will replace the 2 cell with a 3 cell to increase the thrust and also add a bit more useful weight in the nose.

The wind did keep nocking it about and while i think the dyhedral helped i decided to quit whilst i was ahead (with a few crashes but no damage).

After this i tried flying it in a much smaller more sheltered area by my house. I had to increase the throws on the control surfaces to keep it in the space and whilst the wind was a pain i didn't have any problems with twitchyness or overcontrollability.

I'm calling it a success and am looking forward to flying it in calm conditions with a bit more power.