SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2008, 08:03 AM
nut
Pots and Kettels
Among the Masses
Joined Sep 2005
255 Posts
Well I'm a few years late to the party but I finally built my first wing over the weekend. I went through the entire thread to make sure I was headed in the right direction. Some great posting by all. I cut mine out in two sections. I used the fold in between the protection board as the LE, glued and taped the TE, then used a long tapering balsa spar pushed in from the end. Hot glued it together and added some tape. It's nice and rigid. Flew it last night beside the house. There was not enough room to WOT but it flew well at low speed.
I took it to work today and will take it up in a while and ring it out.

Nut
nut is offline Find More Posts by nut
Last edited by nut; Sep 08, 2008 at 04:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2008, 01:21 PM
Will work for foam
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Apr 2005
1,502 Posts
nut - very nice work. you know, if the airfoil is somewhat flat on the bottom, you may be onto another design. remove the power gear, lay the servos on their sides to make it more aerodynamic, move the tipletts to a centerd fin and DLG that baby! if built light enough, it should be a fun bird to DLG.
wingnutt is offline Find More Posts by wingnutt
Old Aug 18, 2008, 02:19 PM
nut
Pots and Kettels
Among the Masses
Joined Sep 2005
255 Posts
Thanks Wing,

The photo is a bit decieving. It's around 1 1/2" thick at the root and tapers out to flat at the ends. I did just get back from flying her. I'm running a Himax 2208-1260 on 3 cells and a 5x4.5 prop. AUW is 11.6oz. It's was a bit pitch sensitive so I dialed the rates way back which fixed the problem. It was a little breezy out but the wing flew great. Not to fast, maybe around 50 to 55mph. It was also a tad tail heavy but still flew fine, slowed down really nice. I'll go with a bigger battery for some more nose weight for the next flight.

Nut
Old Aug 21, 2008, 07:26 PM
High Planes Drifter
Joined Oct 2007
32 Posts
I know this 'aint a motor thread, but I wound a Komodo frame with 15 turns and have been using a 5x4.4 prop and I can't hardly get this wing off the ground to save myself. No "giddy-up" on launch so I flirt with the dirt and brush the ground until I get up a little speed to start a modest climb. Plane flys great (tracks like a dream) but I might get 40 mph out of it max. I've wound quite a few motors before so I not new at it - so I can't figger out what my malfunction is. Plane is 13.5 oz AUW
Jerry In Maine is offline Find More Posts by Jerry In Maine
Old Aug 21, 2008, 09:46 PM
More Trim
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2007
505 Posts
Hey guys. Thought I would let you know I found some blue core at LOWES. The 1/2" and the fan fold to on clearance. I am going to buy as much as I can. I found it in Hamstead NC. On the way to surf city beach. I am going there this weekend. I have had a very hard time finding it. It is not easy to get here as it may be in other places. So for what it is worth. Thought I would throw that out.
More Trim is offline Find More Posts by More Trim
Old Aug 21, 2008, 09:48 PM
More Trim
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2007
505 Posts
wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nut
Well I'm a few years late to the party but I finally built my first wing over the weekend. I went through the entire thread to make sure I was headed in the right direction. Some great posting by all. I cut mine out in two sections. I used the fold between in the protection board as the LE, glued and taped the TE, then used a long tapering balsa spar pushed in from the end. Hot glued it together and added some tape. It's nice and rigid. Flew it last night beside the house. There was not enough room to WOT but it flew well at low speed.
I took it to work today and will take it up in a while and ring it out.

Nut
You did a very nice job. I would like to get the plans of it if you would.
More Trim is offline Find More Posts by More Trim
Old Aug 22, 2008, 07:56 AM
nut
Pots and Kettels
Among the Masses
Joined Sep 2005
255 Posts
Go back to post #4. It's a very simple design. I took the time to go thru the entire thread before I built the wing. Great info from all involved.

Nut
Old Aug 28, 2008, 09:38 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
370 Posts
Anybody know of a good replacement for bluecor yet?
scottflight is offline Find More Posts by scottflight
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:19 PM
Now where did I leave my jar?
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,096 Posts
I've been using Dow Protection Board III. It's the same as Bluecor except it only has the skin on one side. I've built with both and there is no real noticable difference. The second skin gives it just a tad more stiffness, but not enough to make much of a difference.
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2008, 02:29 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,643 Posts
That's the same stuff I'm using. Works great.
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Aug 31, 2008, 09:30 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,651 Posts
Big Wing update

I finally opted to 'deconstuct' my 10 footer after one crash too many. Oddly enough, the crashes didn't actually break it up, they just made it flex too much to be able to fly it.

After some experimentation, I think I've come up with an ideal solution for stiffening large wings without complicating construction or adding a lot of extra weight. This is what I'm doing:

I cut two spars from 1/4" BluCor (or DPB, it's all the same stuff, really) The I sandwich a piece of flat carbon strip in between them and use gorilla glue to hold the whole thing together. For spars that are longer than a single carbon strip, I simple lay two strips of carbon side by side in between the foam spar pieces. The overlap of the carbon strips just adds strength.

Using this method, I've constructed an 8 foot wing strong enough to fly fast and even do some aerobatics without folding. AUW on the new wing is just under 2 pounds. Power setup is twin 370 brushless motors turning counter-rotating 9x6 props. Performance is outstanding. I will attempt to post some video later today.

My next project will be to build another 10 foot wing using this technique and make certain that flex will not be an issue. After that... I'd say a 16-footer would not be out of the question. It would have to be a two piece wing, but I think I could do it.
KFC is offline Find More Posts by KFC
Old Sep 03, 2008, 07:54 AM
Wing & A Prayer
Mobile, Alabama
Joined Nov 2005
183 Posts
Something made me miss this wing recently so I built a new one this weekend, my old one had dozens and dozens of flights on it before I robbed it's guts for something else but nothing has flown quite as well for me since.

I powered this one with a J250 and a 4x4 prop running on a 3-cell. I am freshly amazed at how sweetly it flies.

Thanks again guys!
sobamaflyer is offline Find More Posts by sobamaflyer
Old Sep 05, 2008, 06:53 PM
Joined Jul 2008
615 Posts
I've just finished building the second one of these types of planes, after finding the first one an excellent flier.

I thought i'd post a few pictures and details as i have built mine slightly differently in a few ways.

I've cut the wing panels as normal, but i'm using EPP instead of depron or FFF. I doubt i'm the first one to do this but it works great and gives excellent crash resistance.

Wing spars exactly as described in the original instructions.

Obviously EPP is too floppy to make a good flying wing without some kind of stiffening so i've used some carbon fibre. In fact, i've used quite a lot of carbon fibre in a kind of A frame running the length of the wing spars and inbetween.

Almost done in this picture. I intend to replace the vertical wing tips with something a bit thinner and more swept.

The all up weight is 22 oz. Obviously this is a lot heavier than most of the wings people are flying based on the original dimensions. In order to compensate i've installed the motor (2212-06 brushless motor 2200KV 28A) discussed in this thread;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665974

with a 6x4 propellor and the result is a very fast wing. Unfortunately i don't have any way of measuring the speed but it's faster than anything else i've flown and almost too fast for the size of field i have to fly in :-(

It flies very well and is controllable even at speed, seems to glide nicely though quickly but i wouldn't describe it as 'floaty'.

Has anyone else built heavier faster versions of this design?

I'd like to thank scottflight for posting all the original info. I've only been building and flying RC planes for 4 months now (well building for 4, flying for 3; it took a while to get them working properly in an upwards direction...) and i couldn't have done it without people like you on the interweb.

In case anyone is wondering - the first one i built is no longer with me. Some thoughtless person installed goalposts in the field i fly in tempting me to try and fly under them. Stupidly i managed to fly straight into the horizontal bar at full speed, which i couldn't have managed on purpose if i'd tried.
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Old Sep 05, 2008, 07:54 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
370 Posts
lol

ahhhh yes, the old goalpost trick. Someone put those in where I fly too, with the same results I might add....
scottflight is offline Find More Posts by scottflight
Old Sep 05, 2008, 09:51 PM
Now where did I leave my jar?
USA, NC, Huntersville
Joined Jul 2008
4,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottflight
lol

ahhhh yes, the old goalpost trick. Someone put those in where I fly too, with the same results I might add....
Hmmmmm, those goalpost thingies sound a whole lot like the lamp post thingies that frequent my favorite flying field. A few months ago one of them jumped in front of my Simple Delta with unfavorable results
Murman is online now Find More Posts by Murman
RCG Plus Member