HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2008, 06:54 AM
High Planes Drifter
Joined Oct 2007
32 Posts
uh....well....geeeez this is embarrassing.....

Aileron settings were reversed....been flying r/c or 15 years and my $^#%# aileron settings were reversed. Must be getting old. Elevator action was fine - must have just assumed the aileron action was OK when I saw them respond to the sticks - just didn't notice that they were BACKWARDS.

Set them correctly and plane flys nicely. Tracks like a dream. Only complaint is that I expected the rolls to be more axial. As it is now they're a little sloppy.

Using a 15t motor and a 6x3 prop cut down to 5x3 so it's not as efficient as it should be. Plane seems a little underpowered. Have a variety of small props ordered so I'll be
Jerry In Maine is offline Find More Posts by Jerry In Maine
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2008, 08:16 AM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
365 Posts
Glad to hear you got it figured out!

By changing the CG you can affect the amount of reflex you use and therefore make the rolls more axial (less barrel). Or you can program it out with a computer radio.

It would help power a lot to use a 5x5. These like speed! One time I used an 8x4 cut down to 6x4 and it worked pretty well. Nice thrust and a little more amp draw than the 5x5.
scottflight is offline Find More Posts by scottflight
Old Aug 12, 2008, 08:39 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,466 Posts
Big BlueCor Wings

I made 2 wings that were loosely patterned on scottflight's original design. The first one was 60" wide and weighed in at 17 oz. AUW. It flies really well and is an excellent aerial photography platform. Original power was provided be an E-Flite Park 370 1360Kv motor and a 9x3.8 prop. I have since switched the 370 for an AXI 2212/26 motor so that I can run two motors on the monster.

The 10 footer (or the 'monster' as I have come to call it) weighed in at 2 lbs AUW the first time I flew it. I was running the AXI 2212/26 on it, but plan to make some changes that will probably add half a pound or so. I ran into 3 problems on the maiden of this one: 1. Airplane was tail-heavy; 2. Cooling slots cut into the backplate reduced the stiffness of the center section; 3. Outboard servos were not strong enough to handle the load placed on them

I am in the process of changing the servos, power setup, and center section and I hope to be able to fly it again either this evening or tomorrow at the latest.

I should point out that both of these wings are one-piece designs. This is in an effort to keep them as light as possible. Fortunately if I rest one of the monster's wingtips on the windshield sun-visor of my Chevy Suburban, I can just fit the whole thing inside.
KFC is offline Find More Posts by KFC
Old Aug 12, 2008, 09:13 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
365 Posts
Cheeeese Grommit....are you planning on flying from the cockpit?

Wow. I bet it's super floaty.

Good stuff.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 07:51 AM
More Trim
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2007
505 Posts
Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRazor_77
I made 2 wings that were loosely patterned on scottflight's original design. The first one was 60" wide and weighed in at 17 oz. AUW. It flies really well and is an excellent aerial photography platform. Original power was provided be an E-Flite Park 370 1360Kv motor and a 9x3.8 prop. I have since switched the 370 for an AXI 2212/26 motor so that I can run two motors on the monster.

The 10 footer (or the 'monster' as I have come to call it) weighed in at 2 lbs AUW the first time I flew it. I was running the AXI 2212/26 on it, but plan to make some changes that will probably add half a pound or so. I ran into 3 problems on the maiden of this one: 1. Airplane was tail-heavy; 2. Cooling slots cut into the backplate reduced the stiffness of the center section; 3. Outboard servos were not strong enough to handle the load placed on them

I am in the process of changing the servos, power setup, and center section and I hope to be able to fly it again either this evening or tomorrow at the latest.

I should point out that both of these wings are one-piece designs. This is in an effort to keep them as light as possible. Fortunately if I rest one of the monster's wingtips on the windshield sun-visor of my Chevy Suburban, I can just fit the whole thing inside.

Man that is one big wing. I hope you get it in the air with no problem. Let us know how well it fly's. Looks great.
More Trim is offline Find More Posts by More Trim
Old Aug 13, 2008, 08:33 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,466 Posts
It flew just fine the first time until the center folded on me. I'm adding some CF strips to the top and bottom to reinforce the center section. If I don't run into any building catastrophes it should be ready to go this evening, and I might be able to get some film of it.

-- Update -- Flew it a little this evening. Still have some CG issues, so I'm going to try a larger battery, and if that fails, I will make a new center section that will allow me to place the battery farther forward.
Last edited by KFC; Aug 13, 2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 02:27 PM
I scratchbuilt my SUPRA
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,873 Posts
WIng inspired on the fanfold

Well first of all thanks a lot for the tons of informatio :P it really encourage me to start this project, I just maiden it and it flys just great, I did several changes on design, materials and equipment , well I had laying a big out runner which can be only used as a pusher (stranges reasons no need to be mentiones ) also had some kind of depron material in which my passer X came in, aonther limitation was that the sheets of material were smaller than the messurements for the original fanfold so I changed that little bit, to make the story shorter I used lot of epoxi due to lack of hot glue and put big motor, big PCM receiver and 3s lipo battery, I just came back from the field I did coupple of hand launches and it went straight but it did not really glide :P or it did it as a stone I would say :P any way was going straight, so I decided to try the motor, I pushed the throrhel furthere and it went up very nicely, unfortunately the climbing ratio was not as stonishing as I expected but was quiet good, then I cut motor and it glides like an angel, goes very nice form one side to the other without too much height loss, I did a coupple of circuits and then landed. is a great plane I will go tomorrow morning for a full session of flight and check it out,

thnaks again, and here are the pics

great flys and soft landings

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Aug 14, 2008, 08:30 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
365 Posts
Nice paint job. Great for visibility. What was your all up weight?
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:00 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,466 Posts
10 foot BluCor wing video

I managed to get a little video of me flying my 10-footer this evening. I'm still working on it, but apart from being a little tail heavy, I think I've got it flying pretty well. I'm definitely going to put together a new center piece so that I can use a lighter battery pack. Right now I'm using a 3S 3200mAh pack more for ballast than for power.

The first two flights in the video were not so great, but once I added a differential thrust mix to my radio, I managed to get it flying pretty well. It does not fly fast or maneuver very quickly, but it does glide very well, and it seems to be a fairly stable airplane (as long as I don't get crazy on the elevator)

I originally built the 10-footer just to see how far I could push this type of construction. I think I've about hit the limit for it, though. If I wanted to build any bigger, it would have to be a multi-piece setup, and that would add weight pretty quickly. In the meantime, enjoy the show:

10 foot BluCor Wing (3 min 8 sec)
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:12 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
365 Posts
Nice!!! That is amazing. The angle of the wing seems less than the nearly delta of the original design, that probably makes the elevator more sensitive like you mentioned. Seems very stable though, of course the angle could be visually deceptive because of the nose being blunted too. Plenty of thrust. Cool.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:24 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Nice job!! I discovered something that may help you on its maneuverability. I crashed my swift II after I lost signal to it and it came down in the field pretty hard. Didn't see any damaged but a couple of flights later I noticed it was flexing. I had also noticed that it wasn't handling very well, but the glide ability was much improved.

After an inspection I found that the wing had a crack all the way down he center near where the two halves are glued together. It was hard to see with the EPP, but I bent it back and put glue in the crack and it flew like it did when it was new. Lost some of the floaty glide it had, but the agility returned.

I noticed when you were launching your 10 footer that it flexes a bit. I am guessing you are getting some bend and adding some dihedral from that flex. In my experience, Dihedral doesn't handle elevons well. You might try another spar or something else to make it more rigid and I bet it will turn better. I also noticed on my cracked swift the elevator portion had a lot of authority, but it wouldn't turn as well. I have been considering buying another swift II and actually adding dihedral to make it into a floaty glider. You may prefer the glide. That big thing can be seen at a very high altitude. Take it way up and let her float home. I bet you could get it adjusted to do huge circles and set the TX down and watch it fly for a good 5 mins

Either way, I am sure you will have big fun with it. Great project and a very successful maiden!! Thanks for the video!

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:16 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,466 Posts
Answers

The sweep angle on the wings is a LOT less than it is on the original design. I did it this way so I could fit the wing panels on a single sheet of foam. I know that means more pitch sensitivity, but my primary concern for the airplane when I was drawing it up was weight. I was trying to keep it down to 2 pounds maximum.

As for the issue of dihedral and maneuverability, I'm not terribly concerned about the flex right now. The airplane in this configuration is a lot heavier than I planned for. A number of crashes and generous tape application as well as a rather large battery have resulted in this plane having an AUW of nearly 3 pounds! With the vast majority of that weight being in the center of the wing, it naturally rides a little low. Having said that, the elevons and flaps have very little to do with turning the airplane, thanks to the twin engine setup I am using. I am running 9x6 props (one pusher, one puller) on two E-Flite Park 370 brushless outrunners. Each motor is connected to a separate channel on the receiver. I have the mixing in my radio set up so that when I apply left aileron or rudder, the right engine speeds up and the left engine slows down. When I apply right rudder or aileron, the left engine speeds up and the right engine slows down. This is what accounts for the difference between the second and third flights in the video. The differential thrust setup allows for very precise control and permits me to make adjustments for one motor running faster than the other. The airplane as it is set up now maneuvers very well, just not very fast, and that is more of a structural limitation than anything else.

I fully understand that mine is not the largest flying wing out there, but I imagine that there are few wings of the same size that are as light as mine, and that was really the point behind building it: How big could I make it using Blue foam and whatever electronics I had available. I'm very happy with the result, and I am glad you all enjoyed the video. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:44 AM
I scratchbuilt my SUPRA
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottflight
Nice paint job. Great for visibility. What was your all up weight?
Hey thanks scott, honestly it really does look nice in the air , the weight is 400g, I flew today and was a bit windy and the atitude changed a lot, way faster but less glide :P, I also put a bit of dihedral and it turns in a dime ,

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:00 AM
Huh?! well waddayouknow!?
Slackramento ,CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRazor_77
The sweep angle on the wings is a LOT less than it is on the original design. I did it this way so I could fit the wing panels on a single sheet of foam. I know that means more pitch sensitivity, but my primary concern for the airplane when I was drawing it up was weight. I was trying to keep it down to 2 pounds maximum.

As for the issue of dihedral and maneuverability, I'm not terribly concerned about the flex right now. The airplane in this configuration is a lot heavier than I planned for. A number of crashes and generous tape application as well as a rather large battery have resulted in this plane having an AUW of nearly 3 pounds! With the vast majority of that weight being in the center of the wing, it naturally rides a little low. Having said that, the elevons and flaps have very little to do with turning the airplane, thanks to the twin engine setup I am using. I am running 9x6 props (one pusher, one puller) on two E-Flite Park 370 brushless outrunners. Each motor is connected to a separate channel on the receiver. I have the mixing in my radio set up so that when I apply left aileron or rudder, the right engine speeds up and the left engine slows down. When I apply right rudder or aileron, the left engine speeds up and the right engine slows down. This is what accounts for the difference between the second and third flights in the video. The differential thrust setup allows for very precise control and permits me to make adjustments for one motor running faster than the other. The airplane as it is set up now maneuvers very well, just not very fast, and that is more of a structural limitation than anything else.

I fully understand that mine is not the largest flying wing out there, but I imagine that there are few wings of the same size that are as light as mine, and that was really the point behind building it: How big could I make it using Blue foam and whatever electronics I had available. I'm very happy with the result, and I am glad you all enjoyed the video. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.
Amazing feat you should be proud!
The chuckle you and your camera guy got on the first couple a launches was worth it all huh?
Again ,nice job
Danno
Danjuan is offline Find More Posts by Danjuan
Old Aug 15, 2008, 02:55 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
Joined May 2007
2,466 Posts
It was worth it all!