HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2006, 06:10 PM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
EPS. But the next set will be out of 2" blue core which in my opinion is just as good as EPP and cheaper too! I was just testing my cutting skills. came out pretty good after about 10 sets, the foam was free so no loss.
daydreamer is offline Find More Posts by daydreamer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2006, 08:10 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Thought I would post this little situation I had with my wing. Did the maiden of it last week and while it flew it would pull hard to the left, even with full right elevon. Talked with scottflight about it and he gave me some good suggestions. Any way after looking at it from the front I could see where part of the nose section had come unglued, causing one wing to be higher (or lower) than the other one. Some epoxy and a small piece of plywood and she was fixed. Just got back from another flight with it and she flew fine. Had to move the battery back a bit as at first the wing wouldn't loop. Got that taken care of and she will loop fine and glide pretty well with just a hint of reflex.

I can see now that I'm going to have to wind another motor. The wing will cruise around at good parkflyer speeds but not barn burning speed.
bass3587 is offline Find More Posts by bass3587
Old Apr 19, 2006, 09:23 PM
Look out for my plane!
Michigan
Joined Sep 2005
432 Posts
So what is the heaviest gear you could use on this? 8 cell Nimh's and a SP400? Just curious what the max weight would be for this to still fly.
ElSeeker is online now Find More Posts by ElSeeker
Old Apr 19, 2006, 10:53 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Just reweighed mine I'm at 15.4oz, no wonder it was just creeping along. Nothing is wrong with the cdrom motor I built, just have it on to big of a wing. It's spinning over 16k rpm on a GWS 5x4.3 prop so that should be good for 12 ounces of thrust. Need to watch how I build. Somewhere between fixing the nose,epoxy and more hot glue I added a bunch of weight.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:50 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
366 Posts
Yeah bass, I've found that if the halves aren't lined up well, then the wing will have one elevon up to keep it flying straight, then when you loop it, it will fall out and spin. It just makes it unstable, but when it's straightened out it's really stable.

As far as speed, I'm running a 5x5 zagi prop and I'm betting I'm getting way better speed than the GWS DD 5x4.3. It is also a very efficient prop, the carbons are more efficient than the white plastic ones too.

I don't know about running 8 cell nimh's, they seem to be pretty heavy. My wing is just under 11 oz. I think a speed 400 with nimhs would be too heavy for the power you'd get, but heck you could always give it a shot if that's what you've got. I will say that performance on a 15 turn cdrom motor is great with the 3 cell 1320's. I'm getting plenty of speed and thrust. I think that at 15 oz, I would get good but not great performance. I guess I could throw on a 2100 and see how it compares....

Let me know what you try and whether or not it works.
scottflight is offline Find More Posts by scottflight
Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:52 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
366 Posts
daydreamer might have some insight on running with a speed 400...

Oh yeah and all these suggetions I have are for the wing size I mentioned in the build instructions, so a bigger wing will be a little slower.

it is amazing how crumpled the nose can be and still maintain good characteristics in the air...
scottflight is offline Find More Posts by scottflight
Old Apr 20, 2006, 02:24 PM
Arlington,Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,239 Posts
Don't have the Zagi prop but I do have a APC 5x5 that I'm going to try this afternoon. I'll let you know.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 06:02 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,383 Posts
Great looking wing!! I live up in Summit and the wind is always grounding me, going to try flying after work but the last 3 times resulted in no flying due to wind.

So I have a stack of bluecore, and this looks like a great option to get some more flight time in even when the winds up.

Quick power system question. Do you think a Himax 2808-0980 outrunner w/3s1500 would be a good setup/work on this wing?

Just asking because the motor is out of a P-51 getting a refurb, and is just sitting on the shelf unused.

Thanks for any info, headed home now to grab flying machines and hopefully fly!(or sitting in my truck with the tx antenna out the window watching the streamer.)
pullup! is online now Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 08:29 PM
Look out for my plane!
Michigan
Joined Sep 2005
432 Posts
Well.. 8 cell 1100 NIMH's and a Zagi SP400 + Zagi 5x5 works great!!! I flew at 1/2 throttle and got a 7 minute flight!! Normally I only get about a 5 min flight with that same setup on a delta.. very cool.. Might be a bit on the heavy side (haven't checked yet) but she flies awsome!

And it was simple to make to boot! Can't beat that!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 09:11 PM
Back behind The Controls
Toney, AL
Joined Dec 2005
1,016 Posts
"got pics...?'

...SUP?!

No new pics of the maidens?

Johnnie
Johnnie Paul is offline Find More Posts by Johnnie Paul
Old Apr 21, 2006, 07:51 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
First off this thread is great! Not to familiar with wings but like them, Saw this and thought what an "easy/cheap" way to try one. I'm not yhe greatest builder but figured I'd try it. Used Scottflight's design (or whoever he got it from) but I went half scale. went together fairly well. Tryed it front yard and it wants to dive down.
Here are some specs: Weighs about 5oz, using a 2s 800mAh Lipo, on a 180 motor.
I think the CG is off and not enough power. Tryed twice each time same thing and broke both of my props. Please help ,going to build a full size one tonight.
Thanks in advance
Water Boy is offline Find More Posts by Water Boy
Old Apr 21, 2006, 07:55 PM
Look out for my plane!
Michigan
Joined Sep 2005
432 Posts
You may need to have some up elevator set - wings tend to like that a lot. I usually (on a new wing that is) set quite a bit up because it is easier to force the wing down then bring it up when it is flying.
Old Apr 21, 2006, 07:57 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
I tryed that. Thats one of the few things I know. Do you think it might be the motor or prop?
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:06 PM
Look out for my plane!
Michigan
Joined Sep 2005
432 Posts
Could be the motor.. They like to have the motor tilted upward a bit as well.. That gives them some down push on the back of the wing which makes the nose go up a bit.

Does it just not climb (aka slowly falls) or does it do a nose dive no matter how much you pull up?
Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:07 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
Nose dive no matter what