HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2008, 02:08 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2006
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LareeRudee
Are you going to do one that size? Too small for me [scary], but I might try a 24 inch some day.

LarryR : )
I think I might just have the right stuff lying around!

10g 3500? kv outrunner
3,6g servos
~10g ESC
10g reciever
2-cell 620mah lipoly
It must be possible with that size parts, I think

//Per
kvicken is offline Find More Posts by kvicken
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2008, 02:37 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2006
13 Posts
Promised some pics

The barbeque and beer didn't stop me! here are the pics.

Keeping my fingers crossed, always hard to upload pictures the first time on new forum...

//Per
Old Apr 25, 2008, 02:59 PM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
Nice planes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvicken
The barbeque and beer didn't stop me! here are the pics.

Keeping my fingers crossed, always hard to upload pictures the first time on new forum...

//Per
OK, now you have my curiosity up............ what wingspan are those? I have a suggestion for all photos; have a yardstick or meter stick lying parallel to the wingspan................ did you ever notice? so often SOMEBODY asks, "WHAT SIZE is that?" or, "what is your setup"?

Keep up the good work.

LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
Old Apr 25, 2008, 03:32 PM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2006
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LareeRudee
OK, now you have my curiosity up............ what wingspan are those? I have a suggestion for all photos; have a yardstick or meter stick lying parallel to the wingspan................ did you ever notice? so often SOMEBODY asks, "WHAT SIZE is that?" or, "what is your setup"?

Keep up the good work.

Yeah, your right about that

These are old photos, I'll try t remember that next time I'll bring out the camera!

Wingspan is 800mm for the two large ones (pic with 3wings) and about 650 for the small one (due to a really bad crash )

I mainly use the Hextronik 24g blue/red/black/shiny wonder various 2-3 cell from 460 to 1320. Trying to keep it light!

//Per
Old Apr 25, 2008, 07:29 PM
Your user title is suggestive,
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
What a disaster!

I tried using some aluminum tape on my 31" (plans from page 1) wing. I thought it'd make the LE look spiffy.

In any event, the tape held through the night. This morning, I got a good look at the inside of the wing. The aluminum tape had become unstuck and the LE was separated.

I tried re-taping the wing, but to no avail. I'm scrapping the whole thing and trying again.

Some questions:

1. How do you get both panels to curve properly? Seems one panel always curves more for me.

2. How do you stop washout? Both panels seemed to have different washouts.

3. How much reflex should I start with?

4. How much control deflection do I need?

5. How do you measure the reference lines for the motor?

6. Even with a 800mah 3-cell mounted literally on the nose of the bird, it was still tail heavy. Any tips for getting the balance right?
Xptical is offline Find More Posts by Xptical
Old Apr 25, 2008, 07:49 PM
Fighter of Gravity
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvicken
What a sweet little bird!

Any chance that you could post a sketch with the basic dimensions of the planform? Or even better a complete drawing

//Per
Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Here is the drawing I came up with tonight after measuring the wing. The elevons are about 1" at the tip and 5/8" at the root. I built the wing according to this thread. Since it is so small, I didn't bother with a cf spar. I hope this helps. I am in the process of covering the wing now and hopefully I can maiden it tomorrow. I should be able to give a flight report soon after.
woolebugr is offline Find More Posts by woolebugr
Last edited by woolebugr; Apr 26, 2008 at 06:27 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 02:13 AM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
CG; tail heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xptical
What a disaster!

I tried using some aluminum tape on my 31" (plans from page 1) wing. I thought it'd make the LE look spiffy.

In any event, the tape held through the night. This morning, I got a good look at the inside of the wing. The aluminum tape had become unstuck and the LE was separated.

I tried re-taping the wing, but to no avail. I'm scrapping the whole thing and trying again.

Some questions:

1. How do you get both panels to curve properly? Seems one panel always curves more for me.

2. How do you stop washout? Both panels seemed to have different washouts.

3. How much reflex should I start with?

4. How much control deflection do I need?

5. How do you measure the reference lines for the motor?

6. Even with a 800mah 3-cell mounted literally on the nose of the bird, it was still tail heavy. Any tips for getting the balance right?
I'm not qualified to answer much, but here goes:

num 2........... I've seen some people use a monokote heat gun, or the lady's hair dryer; heating CAREFULLY........ bending to the right shape with your spare hand.

num 5........... I'm gonna go trial and error.... meaning I'm going to try to make it EASIER to dismount and remount after test glides or flights.

num 6.......... I've forgotten already which motor you plan on......... possibilities, you're WAY oeverpowering it [heavy too]?...... I've read that SOME people just recut the motor area and move the motor slightly forward.... again, trial and error.

Good luck............ you're asking good questions that will help EVERYBODY when they do this.

LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
Old Apr 26, 2008, 02:41 AM
Your user title is suggestive,
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
I'm using an ARC-20-34-110. It's probably a lot heavier than a standard CD-ROM motor. About 40 grams. The battery is a 3-cell, 800mah; comes in at about 60 grams. The ESC and RX will be mounted right at the CoG; as will the servos.

I've already come up with cutting the body and maybe mounting the motor closer to the CoG vice at the back of the plane.
Xptical is offline Find More Posts by Xptical
Old Apr 26, 2008, 03:17 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2006
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolebugr
Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Here is the drawing I came up with tonight after measuring the wing. The elevons are about 1" at the tip and 5/8" at the root. I built the wing according to this thread. Since it is so small, I didn't bother with a cf spar. I hope this helps. I am in the process of covering the wing now and hopefully I can maiden it tomorrow. I should be able to give a flight report soon after.
Thanks for the drawing!

Im looking forward to the flight report

Then there is only a matter of getting some time in the building room...

//Per
Old Apr 26, 2008, 06:28 AM
Fighter of Gravity
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
I had forgotten to measure the sweep so I edited the drawing. I think all of the info you need is there. Good luck.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 07:22 PM
Fighter of Gravity
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
I finished covering my wing today and started plugging up the electronics and found that one of the micro servos Hobby City sent me was bad. I had ordered these especially for this wing and only ordered two of them so I didn't get to maiden it today. Very disappointed indeed!!!! Now I will have to wait for them to send me a replacement before I can see how she flys.
Anyway, here is how my covering turned out. I hope you like it.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:00 PM
Foam Wannabe
Joined Nov 2005
578 Posts
The covering looks great. What did you use? Did you build the wing out of Protection Board III or Bluecor and did the covering go over the skin. Looks really nice.

Which brand servo did you have trouble with?

Ron
rcallison is offline Find More Posts by rcallison
Old Apr 27, 2008, 06:10 AM
Sweden
Joined Jul 2006
13 Posts
Sorry to hear about your servo

The covering looks good though, lets hope HC replace the faulty servo qiuck so we can get that flight report

Are you planning to bury the battery? or that hole for the reciever... The size of that wing really mess up your references!

Ordering from HC is a little bit like gambling, you don't know when your shipping will arrive and if they changed something. I still like them a lot, bang for buck wise they seem to be unbeatable, at least for us Swedes.

//Per
Old Apr 27, 2008, 07:48 AM
Fighter of Gravity
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
these little servos are the ones I ordered. I took a gamble and lost this one I guess. Hopefully it won't take too long to get a replacement.
I built my wing out of the Protection Board III. I recently completed a build with Bluecor and there is little difference in the two. I used Econocote for the covering.
The hole in the top is where the battery sits. It's too thick to bury completely and will stick up a bit but it shouldn't matter too much. Once the esc and receiver are installed I will cover the area behind the battery.
I'm glad you like the way it turned out.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 06:30 PM
Fighter of Gravity
Joined Aug 2007
316 Posts
Flight report!!! She flys, but I think I need to make larger elevons. I ended up using 2 9g servos instead of the smaller ones. I had to move the trim all the way up in order to get her to fly. I removed both weights I had added to the nose to get her to balance where the cg calculator said it should but I still had to keep pulling back on the stick in order to keep her in the air. I am thinking the elevons may be too small for the reflex to kick in. She was a handfull, but a great little flyer none the less. Once I get her trimmed out correctly I think she will be a lot of fun.