HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2007, 12:56 PM
Foam Wannabe
Joined Nov 2005
578 Posts
The 42 incher I have has a J250 in it with a 4x4 prop. It is definitely more of a floater than a speed wing. I have not built one for speed yet, but you would need a decent sized motor.

As far as the blucore. I get mine at Lowes. They don't seem to carry the 2 sided stuff any longer, but you can get the single sided stuff called Protection Board III. It is still blue, but has a little more flex. I just put the skinned side on the outside of the wing and it works great. That's what my 32 incher is made from.

BTW, I flew my 32 incher this morning after not having flown it for a couple of months. This thing is great. I can't remember why I stopped flying it, but I love it. It's quick and stable. A real joy to fly.

Ron
rcallison is offline Find More Posts by rcallison
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2007, 03:45 PM
deadstik3
mcleansville,n.c.
Joined Jun 2006
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicWill
Where do you guys get your bluecor?
construction site dumpsters are a good place sometimes also.
deadstik3 is offline Find More Posts by deadstik3
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:37 PM
Efland, NC
Joined May 2006
455 Posts
lowes has some board I think it's called rd3 comes 8'x4' and it's about $5, it's blue insulating board for homes and is about 10mil thick, cut it out and slap some clear tape around it and maybe hotglue in some spars and make an airfoil and that's it, strap whatever motor you want to it
Fatts is offline Find More Posts by Fatts
Old Aug 11, 2007, 09:39 PM
Joined Jan 2007
175 Posts
Ill check it out, thanks.

I searched for "BlueCor", "foam", "RD3", and "insulation board" and couldnt find anything.

?
MedicWill is offline Find More Posts by MedicWill
Old Aug 12, 2007, 05:57 AM
Efland, NC
Joined May 2006
455 Posts
I think this is what I get from lowes

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...348&lpage=none
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:45 PM
Joined Jan 2007
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatts
I think this is what I get from lowes

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...348&lpage=none

Perfect! Thanks for the link, Im on my way to get some
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:44 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
the 42" is the biggest I've made and it really floats well, that is my current config, running a 13 turn. Nice n easy.
scottflight is offline Find More Posts by scottflight
Old Aug 13, 2007, 01:57 PM
Joined Jan 2007
175 Posts
Guess not, Lowes doesnt have it anymore...
Old Aug 13, 2007, 03:09 PM
Efland, NC
Joined May 2006
455 Posts
well it must be that some have it and some don't I got another board a few days ago and there was plenty, maybe you could call your lowes and ask for the numbers for nearby lowes stores if that's an option for you?
Old Aug 13, 2007, 03:41 PM
Foam Wannabe
Joined Nov 2005
578 Posts
It's pretty hit or miss as to whether they have it or not. The PBIII seems to be available more in the South US than other parts. In some stores I have seen pallets of it stored up high, but none on the ground. You have to ask them to get you a bundle down. Usually costs about $32 for a stack of 24 sheets, I think. It's been a while since I bought any - I think I have 3 bundles in the garage.

Ron
Old Aug 13, 2007, 04:00 PM
Joined Jan 2007
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcallison
It's pretty hit or miss as to whether they have it or not. The PBIII seems to be available more in the South US than other parts. In some stores I have seen pallets of it stored up high, but none on the ground. You have to ask them to get you a bundle down. Usually costs about $32 for a stack of 24 sheets, I think. It's been a while since I bought any - I think I have 3 bundles in the garage.

Ron

Thats what I was gonna ask about. Today I went searching for blue cor and found "PB4". Green, 1/4, and plastic on both sides.

How is that stuff? They only sold it in a huge bundle, like 50 bucks for apx 15 sheets.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 04:48 PM
Foam Wannabe
Joined Nov 2005
578 Posts
I think that is what some people are calling green guard. There are some threads about it in the foamie scratchbuilt forum. I think it is deemed to be a little heavier than the original blucor and maybe a little bit more brittle.

However, it basically comes down to use what you can find. Most of the wings and planes will fly very similar regardless of which option you can find. So, get some and try it out.

Ron
Old Dec 17, 2007, 02:44 PM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
The plans and setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottflight
Great, glad the thread got bumped, this one is good enough to recommend again. I still have my orange one flying and doing great. I made a 40-42 and it really floats great, and still aerobatic. I use the same cdrom motor in both.
Just now found this thread [in Denver metro area, too]........... looking for floater................ where are plans and what is the exact setup?

thanks,

LarryR : )
LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
Old Dec 18, 2007, 05:46 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
368 Posts
The exact setup is at the beginning of the thread, I typically run with a 3cell 1320 and a cdrom motor with 15 turns. I'm still flying my 42" scaled up version, but I like the 32"er just as well. The 42" will really float if that is what you are looking for. Just use the same components. I like the zagi style 5x5 carbon props.

To scale up just use the same angles (don't scale these) and increase the linear dimensions as much as you want. It will come out the same. Measure chord to chord perpendicular and you will get the wingspan you want. I think I just went 30% larger. You could shoot for anywhere under that and come out fine. Keep it light.

Any bigger and get a new motor.

Right now I have a littlescreamers parkjet on there and its a bit more oomph. I like the extra power, but it was just fine with the cdrom.

Let me know how it goes!
scottflight is offline Find More Posts by scottflight
Old Dec 19, 2007, 01:28 AM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
15 turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottflight
The exact setup is at the beginning of the thread, I typically run with a 3cell 1320 and a cdrom motor with 15 turns. I'm still flying my 42" scaled up version, but I like the 32"er just as well. The 42" will really float if that is what you are looking for. Just use the same components. I like the zagi style 5x5 carbon props.

To scale up just use the same angles (don't scale these) and increase the linear dimensions as much as you want. It will come out the same. .....................!
Hee hee, I promise I won't "scale the angles"; seriously I love math, and your explanation(s) are very good.

I have a "generic" question on "15 turns"; I seen the umpteen hundreds of BL's on the market, know what kv is, all the electrical terms, etc, but I see more and more people saying things like "15 turns"............... ok, on the running of these BL's, what is the general impact of "number of turns"; like if using 11.1 volt [3 LiPo's], what would be different between 12 or 15 or 23 turns............. is THAT what impacts the kv? and if so, how do I know what kv is linked with 15 turns, or...............

I don't need the whole BL lesson, just what impact to the motor the "number of turns" produces.

Thanks,

LarryR : )
LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee