SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:24 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
370 Posts
I hot glue the servos in, I tape the rest to the top. The battery I just Velcro on the top of the nose up front. Sure Iíve lost a pack or two, but Iím not so sure that putting it somewhere else would have made a difference in those situationsÖ.doh!

One more thing I do is use some of the plastic tube (about 1" long), tape it to the wing in the middle while on the pushrod, to hold the pushrod and keep it from bending during large elevon deflection.

Thatís about it. Itís really a great design, though I canít take credit for it. Try it, and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
scottflight is offline Find More Posts by scottflight
Last edited by scottflight; Mar 26, 2006 at 11:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2006, 08:20 AM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
370 Posts
Video link was posted in post #2 and here.

http://www.putfile.com/scottflight

Thanks Bass3587.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 04:34 PM
Canal Fulton, Ohio
Joined Jun 2003
544 Posts
Thanks for posting this information. I copied most of it and am planning on giving this a try latter on (have three in the que to builld first).

Dick
Stark Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Stark Flyer
Old Mar 28, 2006, 07:02 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
370 Posts
Great. I'm really having fun with mine. Got the fresh one all dialed in. Very nice.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:38 AM
Wingman2004
South Carolina
Joined Oct 2004
250 Posts
32" Fan fold wing

Here's my version of the fan fold wing, and I agree, it's a great flying little wing, very stable. I am using a johnson 250 brushed motor with a 3 x 3 prop. I mount my servos right at the spar line before I close the wing and cut out just enough for the control arm to extend through. The lipo battery goes in through a 2mm coroplast hatch on the bottom of the nose like the zagnutz wings use.
wingman2004 is offline Find More Posts by wingman2004
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:30 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
370 Posts
Good stuff. My servos end up being right on the spar too. I'm thinking that burying the battery might not be a bad idea.

Do you reinforce the nose area around where you had to cut out for the battery pocket?
Old Mar 30, 2006, 01:58 AM
Wingman2004
South Carolina
Joined Oct 2004
250 Posts
Battery door

Yes, I reinforce mine like the one used on a Zagnutz wing.
Go to http://home1.gte.net/texhills/ZagFoamCore.pdf and look on page 16 or http://home1.gte.net/texhills/page8.html. He has glued a 2mm coroplast panel on the bottom of the wing with a door cut into it the size of his battery. The panel is cut so that the flutes in the coroplast run from side to side on the panel. A small piece of wire (I use a straightened paper clip) is inserted through the side of the panel and through the end of the trap door locking it in place.Make a little s bend in the end of the wire to make a tight fit. I don't make my panel as big as he does. Mine is shaped like a small pentagon just big enough for my battery door. It also serves as a stiffener and a skid plate for the nose.
Old Apr 01, 2006, 03:35 PM
Wind is the devil.
Joined Aug 2005
1,030 Posts
I need to build one of these...
Argyle is offline Find More Posts by Argyle
Old Apr 01, 2006, 09:02 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
370 Posts
Yep. I was out flying it today with a buddy. He was trying out a Unicorn cut down to 36" with a similar setup. It worked fine, but the bluecor wing just outperformed it in both of our opinions...

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old Apr 07, 2006, 12:46 AM
Wingman2004
South Carolina
Joined Oct 2004
250 Posts
Paint job

What kind of paint are you using? Do you have problems with it staying on the taped surfaces? I have been avoiding using colored tape because of the extra weight.

I've been trying to refine the shape of the airfoil by gluing in a couple of ribs made of blucore. So far it seems to help a little. I found that leaving the wing in the car where it can get warm allows it to lose the curve on top of the wing. It settles into an angled surface breaking down where it goes over the spar. I put a crude rib near the center and at the midpoint of the wing and it maintains the curve a little better.
Old Apr 07, 2006, 08:59 AM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
370 Posts
I've been using just regular spray paint. It works just fine after you have the main body done because the blucor skin will protect the foam and the tape protects the edges. As long as you don't go too crazy with it. Sometimes tape will pull off the paint that is stuck to other tape, but then you just tape over it again and you get good adhesion. I'm using packing tape for everything except the trim. I don't tape the whole wing like some instructions say, just the leading edge, trailing edge, one down the middle all the way around to hold the wings together, the wing tips and strips to hold on the elevons. I use the colored poly tape for trim.

I'm not too weight concious when I build mine and I still end up with a shade over 10.5 oz. I even add nose weight, the extra beef doesn't seem to affect it much. Still flies pretty slow when you want it to.

About the airfoil, the fold over the spar creates the current airfoil on mine. Seems to be adequate, and you're right it does show a little cracking. I havent' had any propogate or cause problems though. If you get some better results with a rib, let me know, I bet you can adjust the flight characteristics pretty easy that way, a little more float here or a little faster there....I haven't had any problems yet with a warm car. but I usually leave it in the trunk and I'm a little careful about days I know are going to be really hot. Colorado usuall doesn't get too hot.

Let me know how it turns out. You're gonna love it.
Old Apr 08, 2006, 11:16 PM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
nice to see people are still having fun with my wing design I just got done building my 10th onehttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316871 to here it flies better than a cut down unicorn thats to cool http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316871
daydreamer is offline Find More Posts by daydreamer
Last edited by daydreamer; Mar 30, 2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2006, 03:42 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
370 Posts
Yeah this design of yours is really amazing. Stable and nimble, gotta love it. Thanks for posting it back then.

Did you do a lot of upfront design work or was it mostly trial and error?

Have you tried building a sloper out of it yet?
Old Apr 09, 2006, 07:44 PM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
Yeh. It was trial and error. I new what size of wing cord I wanted, then I kept messing around with the sweep, until I got what I wanted. It's funny you asked if I ever made a sloper out of it. Yesterday I torqued the motor right off the back! I headed out to the power lines right after but there was no lift coming from the west. But when I get a chance I'll get out and give it a try or if some one else does let me know how it goes. BTW I noticed your from the Metro area where do you fly?
daydreamer is offline Find More Posts by daydreamer
Old Apr 09, 2006, 10:23 PM
Arvada, CO
Joined Aug 2004
370 Posts
Most of the time, I'm in littleton so I'm usually at Windemere park off Santa Fe and Belleview unless there are soccer games, sometimes I'll fly the small park at Bowles Grove, which is Bowles and Federal. When I get a chance to fly at lunch, I'll fly up near Indiana And 64th up in Arvada. I did get a chance to go sloping once last fall up at green mountain. Since I didn't have a sloper, I used my Mountain Models Smoothe, there wasn't any wind but it did a great job thermaling.

Actually there is a new local hobby shop right across the street from me, BOOYAH! so I think I will see more people out at Windemere this summer.

How about you?