HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:28 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
KFC awesome info and videos. This is still in the planning stages but you are steering me down the right path -- TY
ckreef is offline Find More Posts by ckreef
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:09 PM
United States, WI, Prairie du Chien
Joined May 2012
24 Posts
Video of this plane in flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiniteDamage View Post
Hi All,

Just had my 3rd attempt at a fan fold foam wing out for its maiden flight yesterday evening. On my first two wings I had to add a lot ( 2 - 4 oz) of nose weight to get the CG right. On the second one I really cut the motor in deep which let me get the nose weight down to 2 oz but I didn't love the way it flew; seemed less stable.

With this plane I made a long snout to hold the battery about two inches out past the tip of the wing. This allows me to get the CG to 7.25 from the tip without adding any weight. This is a good thing. It flies great! I can fly much slower and glide like crazy. Anyhow super happy with this design, can't wait to get back out and fly it.

Have a great day!
DD
DD
Hi All,

I had my stepson shoot some video of this plane flying back at the end of October. I just got around to posting it on youtube. It's not the greatest footage but there are some nice shots esp. in the first few minutes of the video.

Here's the video link:
Fanfold Foam Flying Wing (5 min 53 sec)

My youtube channel is: bikepdc No much there yet but it is where I will be posting whatever I end up making with my new camera.

Just got a 808 #16 Keychain HD cam for Christmas so I am looking forward to shooting some aerial video from my wing!

Happy holidays!
DefiniteDamage is offline Find More Posts by DefiniteDamage
Last edited by DefiniteDamage; Dec 27, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:34 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Not a bad video -- can't wait to see more.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 10:25 PM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
I desined this wing so long ago. And to see so many people have so much fun with it is a joy. And change it up is great. Maybe this year ill be able to finally get out and do some flying . I have 3 still just sitting on my intertainment center waiting for aome air time.
daydreamer is offline Find More Posts by daydreamer
Old Mar 19, 2013, 06:47 AM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,187 Posts
I do hope you get airtime Daydreamer! Funny thing is I started laying out dimensions two nights ago for my 5th version of this awesome wing. Will have a bit more aspect ratio for better glide.
Thanks again for sharing! Such a simple yet effective design.
sawman is offline Find More Posts by sawman
Old Apr 03, 2013, 09:00 PM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,568 Posts
I am building my 5th now for a donation a club member is doing for CHOC (Children's Hospital Orange County). Love these wings, thanks Daydreamer

Wrench66 is online now Find More Posts by Wrench66
Old Apr 03, 2013, 10:47 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
I am building my 5th now for a donation a club member is doing for CHOC (Children's Hospital Orange County). Love these wings, thanks Daydreamer
Nice !
Old Apr 06, 2013, 12:15 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,568 Posts
CHOC donation wing....F2FC, flying 2 fight cancer

Almost done now.....got the battery and avionics bay chopped out and hatch made.
--Ray
Old Apr 06, 2013, 02:03 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,568 Posts
That's enough for tonite......tomorrow I'll finish up the control rods and horns AND get the motor mounted.
Old Apr 06, 2013, 09:42 AM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,187 Posts
Man, you guys make good looking wings. Mine always look like......just bent up foam.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 09:59 AM
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
Here is my BlueCor Wing using Dollar Tree Foam. I love this plane! So much fun to fly.
Here is my flight today. It was my second one. The controls were touchy and I was trying to dial in dual rates and expo for my level.
Bluecor Wing w/Dollar Tree Foam (8 min 13 sec)
g828 is offline Find More Posts by g828
Last edited by g828; Apr 28, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 03:35 PM
Air Crash Expert
Louisiana
Joined Oct 2005
1,187 Posts
Nice !
Old Apr 28, 2013, 08:17 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by g828 View Post
Here is my BlueCor Wing using Dollar Tree Foam. I love this plane! So much fun to fly.
Here is my flight today. It was my second one. The controls were touchy and I was trying to dial in dual rates and expo for my level.
I've been flying BlueCore wings for the last few years. My latest 24" night wing was very touchy. I was trying to get by with 35% expo on high rates. It was still way too touchy. I eventually worked up to 65% expo on the high rates.

AT 65% expo you basically have low rates through about the 1st 1/2 of the stick throw, but can access the high rates by just moving the stick to the end of it's throw. This calmed it down to a more stable flight. I would never do 65% expo on any of my other planes but with this twitchy wing it made it much more stable while still giving me the throws for those tight maneuvers.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:33 PM
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
sawman: thanks!

ckreef: Thanks for the info! I ended up with pretty much the same settings for a nice flight. 65% expo and about 50% dual rates.
g828 is offline Find More Posts by g828
Old May 11, 2013, 10:10 PM
colorado
Joined Nov 2003
459 Posts
Man good job guys! Really makes me want to get started. I have a grandson now. All the better reason
daydreamer is offline Find More Posts by daydreamer