HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:31 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
In this thread go to page 128 and then page 130. You can find posts with my MicroWing specs along with the cut pattern.
Thanks but I have a problem finding them because my pages are set up at viewing 40 posts at a time so page 128 for me is not the same as if I had it set up at the standard 10 posts per page. Could you please give me some post#'s to guide me?
Thanks,
Joe
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:42 AM
IFO's are planes too
Petersburg, Va.
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Here's the link to page 128, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...97083&page=128
ckreef' post is #1912 on that page.

CKreef how do you see those little wings in flight?
I guess you fly them in close?
What's the roll rate of those wings like?
MY 37" wing rolls like crazy and I don't even try to come out of the roll right side up.
Just bump the the wing around or fly it inverted, flys the same either way.
Al.
atone1 is offline Find More Posts by atone1
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:03 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atone1 View Post
Can the long nose on that wing be used as a hand launch handle?
That nose might look better if you add angled pcs of foam back to the LE of wing.
I think it's called a frisk nose. Link to a page of what I'm talking about. http://www.luft46.com/horten/hox.html

I like the 2805 motor that's on my small wing. Run it on a 3s 1000mah lipo with a 20 amp ESC and 4.75 x 4.75 prop.
Al.
I've been experimenting with using foam pool noodles or Thermaflex hot water pipe insulation to create a fuselage for my funjets. The foam can be shaped into a tapered nose surprisingly easily. It works as a launch handle and as a bumper to protect the plane in the event of a hard landing or crash. See: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1727654

Note I am using correx as foam is really difficult to get in SA.
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:00 PM
IFO's are planes too
Petersburg, Va.
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Yes, that's a cool build on that thread. That's what I had in mind, even better.
I'll read on in that thread and see if that guy in post #8 ever get his wing to fly.
Al.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:32 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Quote:
CKreef how do you see those little wings in flight?
I guess you fly them in close?
What's the roll rate of those wings like?
MY 37" wing rolls like crazy and I don't even try to come out of the roll right side up.
Just bump the the wing around or fly it inverted, flys the same either way.
Al.
Yup I just keep them in a little closer. With the LED's on, flying at dusk or in the dark I am willing to go farther out as the lights make them easier to see and distinguish the orientation.

They are not the super bullet rolls I got out of a 32" version but still tight and fairly fast. You definitely want to distinguish the top from the bottom (paint or stickers etc...) as it's easy to get orientation mixed up.

As long as the CG is right it does fly the same normal or inverted.
ckreef is offline Find More Posts by ckreef
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:57 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
437 Posts
Quote:
I'll read on in that thread and see if that guy in post #8 ever get his wing to fly.
Al.
We did get his Mugi to fly - his GC was way too far back and his AUW was about 3x normal. We fixed the first, but the second made the flight pretty hairy with a premature and catastrophic ending....

He also successfully flew his Funjet a few weeks later, but it was also way overpowered and a bit too heavy for his experience level - he is waiting for the weather to improve (and to get a lighter power setup!) before flying again.
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:56 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Since I needed to add some nose weight I decided to retrofit V3 with a nose extension to move the battery weight forward and eliminate some lead weight.

This is a retrofit modification so although it works to move the weight forward to get correct CG, I'm not really happy with it. Soon enough I will build a V4 which will incorporate the nose extension into the design. I just need to see how it fly's with the retro fitted nose extension before I make the final V4 design decisions.

Going to the District 5, AMA fly-in tomorrow. If I decide to spend the night (depending on weather) then V3 w/nose extension will get a few night flights to test it out.

Pictured below is the LE nose extensions, the beginning of the nose extension modification, and the final retrofitted nose extension.
Last edited by ckreef; Oct 28, 2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:05 AM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Flew the new V3 w/ nose extension earlier tonight for 4 batteries. I really like the nose extension. I won't rebuild yet as it is flying good. I am sure I will eventually crash/trash it out and will rebuild w/ a built in nose extension at that time.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:30 PM
SoCal SlowFlyer
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Nov 2009
189 Posts
Quote:
Flew the new V3 w/ nose extension earlier tonight for 4 batteries. I really like the nose extension. I won't rebuild yet as it is flying good. I am sure I will eventually crash/trash it out and will rebuild w/ a built in nose extension at that time.
Nice mods, ckreef! I like the fact that the nose is not extended too much.

Steve
StevoRC is offline Find More Posts by StevoRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:53 PM
SoCal SlowFlyer
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Nov 2009
189 Posts
Quiet Wing #2

I needed to replace my previous "quiet wing*" and in doing so I also reinforced the nose by adding 3" x 1/2" and 5.5" x 1/2" FFF strips underneath. Before adding the strips, I needed to attach a velcro strap that is used to secure the lipo pack. Then the strips were hot glued and taped to the bottom which acts as skids and also provides some needed nose weight to keep the CG at 7" from the nose tip.

I'm still using my RCTimer 2208-08 2600kv outrunner with a 30A ESC and 6X4 prop.

Steve

* The "bow-tie" prop slot reduces the noise and has no affect on performance.
See post 1830 for details: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1830
StevoRC is offline Find More Posts by StevoRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StevoRC; Oct 28, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:27 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevoRC View Post
I like the fact that the nose is not extended too much.

Steve
Just enough to move the battery forward to better correct for CG.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:26 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Here is my latest wing project ------

My hope is to build a lightweight RCRG (rc controlled rocket powered glider) Delta Wing that will launch off a Estes C6 rocket motor.

I have been building and flying foam wings for the last few years. I have launched standard Estes B, C, and D rockets off and on for about the last 40 years. I still have and use my original field box and launch pad/system from when I was a kid.

Using what I learned from my latest 24" ws foam wing, night flyer (1st pic) I am going to try and build a LPR (low powered rocket) RCRG (rc controlled rocket powered glider) . I already had some of the foam cut and ready to go. I went to the local hobby store (If you can call it that) and bought a Mongoose, 2 stage, rocket to kit bash the parts from. I have light weight rc parts ready to install. I also have an old plastic nose cone (from a previous kit) that I will use. I should be able to cut apart that nose cone and install the 360 mah 3s lipo battery inside it. (all this pic 2).

If I can get it to boost and fly right I should be able to 2 stage it using the extra Mongoose parts (pic 3). Also if it goes right I will strip off the LED night lights from my other wing so I can get a few RCRG night flights. (made easy using the 3s lipo battery).

Ok so this is a little ambitious but at this point I only have time to waste waiting for a Gamma Star (balsa kit RCRG recently ordered) to arrive. Should be an interesting experiment.

All that you see in pic 2 along with a C6 motor comes out to slightly less then 6oz so if I am really careful with my glue and tape I should end up with a launch weight around 7 oz.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:49 AM
IFO's are planes too
Petersburg, Va.
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
CKR, how are you going to handle the nose cone - parachute ejection portion of the rocket engine burn? I guess the C-6 engine will ignite the booster stage engine,
but doesn't it have an ejection stage too? Been 20+ yrs since I messed with model rockets, so I'm rusty on those things.
Isn't 7oz a little heavy for a C-6 engine, maybe two set off at the same time?
Alright, you got me thinking how is this project going to work?
Launch the wing strait up or add an outrunner motor so you can get it flying then ignite the rocket. A low fly by with rockets blazing wound be cool.
Sounds like your doing the strait up technique.
So as the rocket engines fuel is burned the C/G will change, but I guess it won't make much difference in going strait up. Plus you'll only have 10 seconds or less of burn time. Have you thought about using the ejection stage of the rocket engines to eject the spent engine hulls after they're burned up, to lessen the weight? That too will effect C/g. You got a tiger by the tail on this one.
Let us know if he bites?
Al. video and pics plus any fire damage wound be in order here?
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:37 AM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,559 Posts
Quote:
Here is my latest wing project ------

My hope is to build a lightweight RCRG (rc controlled rocket powered glider) Delta Wing that will launch off a Estes C6 rocket motor.

I have been building and flying foam wings for the last few years. I have launched standard Estes B, C, and D rockets off and on for about the last 40 years. I still have and use my original field box and launch pad/system from when I was a kid.

Using what I learned from my latest 24" ws foam wing, night flyer (1st pic) I am going to try and build a LPR (low powered rocket) RCRG (rc controlled rocket powered glider) . I already had some of the foam cut and ready to go. I went to the local hobby store (If you can call it that) and bought a Mongoose, 2 stage, rocket to kit bash the parts from. I have light weight rc parts ready to install. I also have an old plastic nose cone (from a previous kit) that I will use. I should be able to cut apart that nose cone and install the 360 mah 3s lipo battery inside it. (all this pic 2).

If I can get it to boost and fly right I should be able to 2 stage it using the extra Mongoose parts (pic 3). Also if it goes right I will strip off the LED night lights from my other wing so I can get a few RCRG night flights. (made easy using the 3s lipo battery).

Ok so this is a little ambitious but at this point I only have time to waste waiting for a Gamma Star (balsa kit RCRG recently ordered) to arrive. Should be an interesting experiment.

All that you see in pic 2 along with a C6 motor comes out to slightly less then 6oz so if I am really careful with my glue and tape I should end up with a launch weight around 7 oz.

Having been there and done that, so to speak, I hope you won't mind if I offer up some tips to help your project succeed. You will need to employ dual rates on this. Low rates will need to be VERY low, somewhere around +/- 1/8" of travel. This is for when the motor is burning. Once the motor burns out, you can switch it back to normal rates. I don't know how you plan on igniting the motor, but since mine was either air dropped or hand launched, I used a receiver controlled switch I got from HK and I tied it to the same switch I used for the dual rates, so I would only have to hit the one switch on the transmitter. As far as the motor goes, I bought a case of C6-5 motors on sale for around $60 and just chiseled out the ejection charge with a screwdriver. Then I used a little 5 minute epoxy (hot glue works, too) to cap the end of the motor (a small powder charge is left in the clay to ignite the ejection charge, and you don't want that going off inside your wing) If you keep it down to 7 ounces (that was about what mine weighed in at), you should be able to get to 50-75 feet high on a single motor (I never tried a dual stage, but I don't see why it wouldn't work) Adding lights to launch it at night is cool, but you want to be careful to use different colors top and bottom so you can orient yourself, because once you light it off, it will move fast. Here are a couple of videos from mine that might be helpful. If you run into any trouble, let me know and I'll be happy to help you as much as I can!

rocket wing (2 min 12 sec)

rocket wing launch happens about :50 on this vid...
e-29 demo at Hodges Hobbies All Electric Fly-In #5 (4 min 20 sec)

Night launch happens at about 3:00 on this one...
seff 2011 night bowling (3 min 22 sec)
KFC is online now Find More Posts by KFC
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:40 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
hey guys, just starting to get into wings after 3 years back in hobby after 30 year absence and have been flying 60-80" planes, like my H9 Pawnee, P-51, 70mm jet and a hot wing. I'm having fun with my glue gun and sharp knife foolin around with out any big expenses. I was wondering about a Horten style wing "Zagi" shaped, not a delta, using a E-Flite 15/3600Kv motor and ducted fan unit I have NIB that I never used. Anyone doing this or have a link or pictures? It seems I may be done buying ARF's anymore and going back to my building roots...I am a retired master shipwright and cabinet/furniture maker. That never goes away! Tech today, HUH??? WOW... Dave/zeezee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee