HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:16 PM
IFO's are planes too
Petersburg, Va.
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Not much info on styroshield, so guess I'll get some to try too.
Would be much easier to spray paint my wings then to run color packing tape along the surface. One lite coat of this stuff might be enough to allow painting.
Questions that need to be answered on using this stuff.
1. Can the packing tape that I use to strengthen the wing across the root and as elevon hinges still be used. Might have to use fiberglass cloth with this stuff to stiffen the root area. Then change to another type of hinge for the elevons.
2, How much extra weight does the styroshield add to the AUW of the wing?
So if this stuff is heavy then it's limited to 48" or larger wings.
3. What thins the styroshield in order to get the lite weight coating so you can spray paint the wing without melting it?

Things I have tried to use as covering on my wings.
Water based paint which looks bad, well it did when I tried it. I'm looking for that lacquer like finish you get with a good paint job.
I have tried a bunch of the so called foam safe airplane covering films. Solar; black baron; monokoat All looked bad or didn't adhere right no matter if you used a sealing iron or heat gun. So I sprayed foam safe glue on the backs of the film and that's just a big mess trying to get the film to stick to the wing and not to your hands.
I never did try elmer's watered down on the film and let it dry.
Spraying the back with windex, but it might be for decals only over film.
I'll do some testing and let you guys know.

So until I come across another way I'll keep on using colored packing tape.
Al.
atone1 is offline Find More Posts by atone1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:54 PM
United States, WI, Prairie du Chien
Joined May 2012
24 Posts
FFF Wing Maiden Flight!!! Success!

Hi All,

Just had my 3rd attempt at a fan fold foam wing out for its maiden flight yesterday evening. On my first two wings I had to add a lot ( 2 - 4 oz) of nose weight to get the CG right. On the second one I really cut the motor in deep which let me get the nose weight down to 2 oz but I didn't love the way it flew; seemed less stable.

With this plane I made a long snout to hold the battery about two inches out past the tip of the wing. This allows me to get the CG to 7.25 from the tip without adding any weight. This is a good thing. It flies great! I can fly much slower and glide like crazy. Anyhow super happy with this design, can't wait to get back out and fly it.

Have a great day!
DD
DefiniteDamage is offline Find More Posts by DefiniteDamage
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,760 Posts
Nice wing! I've gone the "long nose" route myself. HATE to add weight to a plane -- seems counter productive. Would rather move the lipo to get proper balance. Having an extended nose really seems to help.

Good luck with your maiden!
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,408 Posts
I've been thinking of doing the nose on wing thing. Wasn't sure how it might look. I like it. Nice looking job.

Tom

Can't see the motor but is it a emax 2805? Or something like it.
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-38 Talon
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:35 PM
IFO's are planes too
Petersburg, Va.
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Can the long nose on that wing be used as a hand launch handle?
That nose might look better if you add angled pcs of foam back to the LE of wing.
I think it's called a frisk nose. Link to a page of what I'm talking about. http://www.luft46.com/horten/hox.html

I like the 2805 motor that's on my small wing. Run it on a 3s 1000mah lipo with a 20 amp ESC and 4.75 x 4.75 prop.
Al.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined May 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
I've been thinking of doing the nose on wing thing. Wasn't sure how it might look. I like it. Nice looking job.

Tom

Can't see the motor but is it a emax 2805? Or something like it.
Hi,

Thank you. I am pretty happy with the way it looks.

I'm using a 3S 1300mAh LiPo battery, a 22Amp ESC, and an EMAX CF2812 brushless motor with a 7 x 6E prop.

DD
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined May 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atone1 View Post
Can the long nose on that wing be used as a hand launch handle?
That nose might look better if you add angled pcs of foam back to the LE of wing.
I think it's called a frisk nose. Link to a page of what I'm talking about. http://www.luft46.com/horten/hox.html

Al.
I like the idea of the frisk nose. I will probably experiment with some different designs since the nose is a separate piece from the plane I could easily try different nose designs.

The nose is attached pretty firmly by hooking over the "keel" on the bottom of the wing and with rubber bands at the back but I don't feel like it would be sturdy enough for use as a launch handle. Also your hand would be way a ahead of the cg so it would be awkward. I just hold it by the keel and give it a good smooth overhand toss. I don't feel like my fingers are at much risk as I make sure to follow through with the throwing motion so my hand is moving down and forward as the plane moves ahead. With a little practice I think I could launch this wing with the motor off which would be the safest.

DD
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:36 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,408 Posts
You can make a couple of noses and see what ya like best. I've got a couple extra wing bodies ready and waiting. I thinkI'll do that. Thanks for the idea my friend.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-38 Talon
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:08 AM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atone1 View Post
Not much info on styroshield, so guess I'll get some to try too.
Would be much easier to spray paint my wings then to run color packing tape along the surface. One lite coat of this stuff might be enough to allow painting.
Questions that need to be answered on using this stuff.
1. Can the packing tape that I use to strengthen the wing across the root and as elevon hinges still be used. Might have to use fiberglass cloth with this stuff to stiffen the root area. Then change to another type of hinge for the elevons.
2, How much extra weight does the styroshield add to the AUW of the wing?
So if this stuff is heavy then it's limited to 48" or larger wings.
3. What thins the styroshield in order to get the lite weight coating so you can spray paint the wing without melting it?

Things I have tried to use as covering on my wings.
Water based paint which looks bad, well it did when I tried it. I'm looking for that lacquer like finish you get with a good paint job.
I have tried a bunch of the so called foam safe airplane covering films. Solar; black baron; monokoat All looked bad or didn't adhere right no matter if you used a sealing iron or heat gun. So I sprayed foam safe glue on the backs of the film and that's just a big mess trying to get the film to stick to the wing and not to your hands.
I never did try elmer's watered down on the film and let it dry.
Spraying the back with windex, but it might be for decals only over film.
I'll do some testing and let you guys know.

So until I come across another way I'll keep on using colored packing tape.
Al.

keep us posted
Patrizio_g is offline Find More Posts by Patrizio_g
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:10 AM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiniteDamage View Post
Hi All,

Just had my 3rd attempt at a fan fold foam wing out for its maiden flight yesterday evening. On my first two wings I had to add a lot ( 2 - 4 oz) of nose weight to get the CG right. On the second one I really cut the motor in deep which let me get the nose weight down to 2 oz but I didn't love the way it flew; seemed less stable.

With this plane I made a long snout to hold the battery about two inches out past the tip of the wing. This allows me to get the CG to 7.25 from the tip without adding any weight. This is a good thing. It flies great! I can fly much slower and glide like crazy. Anyhow super happy with this design, can't wait to get back out and fly it.

Have a great day!
DD
nice work i cant wait to finish mine and go test it out
Patrizio_g is offline Find More Posts by Patrizio_g
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Aug 2012
14 Posts
On styroshield

I am not familiar with styroshield but I have used Finishing Epoxy and Polycrylic with success. Finishing Epoxy creates a hard shell and can be sanded to a very smooth cover but it could get heavy pretty quickly and is messy. I don't know if it can get sprayed easily with an airbrush (I don't think so). Plycrylic is a lot thinner than the epoxy and you might use some baby powder (talc) to thicken it. It creates a some-what hard shell and it can be used alone but I think it works better with very light glassfiber cloth.

I would try to thin the styroshield because the solvent would must likely eat the foam.
manolinpinguin is offline Find More Posts by manolinpinguin
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:44 PM
IFO's are planes too
Petersburg, Va.
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
Styro-shield

I got the styro- shield stuff today. The instructions say to coat the planes surface with a mixture of light weight spackle and Durham water putty with water mixed to look like paint. Then step sand from 330 grit to 400 grit till really smooth.
Spray the surface with a latex primer or water based polyurethane spray.
Mix two equal parts of styro- shield together and paint on plane surface with a foam brush. Let dry in a 35% + humid; 70+ environment for 24 hrs. Wait another 24hrs before applying paint.
Styro- shield is a 100% solid polyurethane elastometric compound?
Provides a hard shell coating over EPS foam.

From the instructions I'd say Styro- shield is not going to work for our build technique. So what mano just said is true; too heavy for my likes.
I'll still mess around with it and see what I get.
Al.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:57 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Thank you for that mini writeup -- since I'm doing MicroWings it won't work for me.
ckreef is offline Find More Posts by ckreef
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:34 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckreef View Post
Thank you for that mini writeup -- since I'm doing MicroWings it won't work for me.
What are micro wings and where can I learn more about them!?
Thanks,
Joe
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:07 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
What are micro wings and where can I learn more about them!?
Thanks,
Joe
In this thread go to page 128 and then page 130. You can find posts with my MicroWing specs along with the cut pattern.
ckreef is offline Find More Posts by ckreef