HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:59 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
Here's how my foam board wing has progressed. I'm at the point of finding CG and setting out the components. The servos are TowerPro MG90, motor is HoverThings 1050kva, control rods are 12ga romex, horns are popsicle sticks. Electronics have been connected and bench tested. I turned down the limits on ail and ele a lot in preparation for the first flight. Once I get these stuck down safely I will probably add coroplast winglets and a nose skid and throw it!
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:35 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Looking good viper --- After looking at your pics most of those electronics could have been tucked inside the wing by just cutting access hatches (on the top) where they are placed. Once mounted and tested you can glue the access hatches back in place. If they stick out the top a little then leave the hatch cover off. Would make a better aerodynamic profile.

Use the Blue Core Wing Calc and plug your numbers into it to get a decent starting point for CG.
ckreef is offline Find More Posts by ckreef
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
Thanks ckreef. The ESC and BEC are from my Easy Star, I have duplicate extras to install after I solder some connections, so I didn't want to make anything permanent just yet. I'm on the fence about cutting holes in the top of the wings for electronics. Basically I just want to beat this up for a few flights then buy a MS Swift II for FPV action. Figured there's no better way to learn about a wing than building one from scratch. I've spent $17 on this so far - everything else is from another project or spares. Blue foam was $12 and the foam project boards were $1/ea (I bought 5, used 2 for this). It's just for fun
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
And here it is ready for maiden (plus battery).
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
LOL, well, it did not fly (much). The wing cg calculator said 5.5" for beginner and 6" cg for advanced. I started at 5.5" and it was doing backflips right out of the hand launch. I had a lot of experienced pilots around me, so someone figured to put the battery on the bottom. We tried that with a neutral launch and it went straight into the ground. Next throw I gave it full up elevator and about 1/2 throttle and it flew out and straight about 10yd but seemed to be losing speed as it climbed so I mashed the throttle and it torque-rolled and nosed into the grass again. No damage done, we changed from a frisbee toss to overhead with some real oomph, and regardless of control surface it was nosing into the grass about 5yd out. On the last toss it sliced a servo wire. Finally it got too hot out and everyone was sweaty and hungry so we bailed for the morning. The 3s 2200mah is too much ballast and I couldn't put it any further back (on the bottom) because of the skid I made (pictured above). I have some 3s 850mah 25c I might try.

After I finished some things around the house I repaired the servo wire and taped it in place, back for more tomorrow.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:35 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Here is all the parts needed for 2 x 24" wings. A 2s day and a 3s night. All foam has been cut, sanded and beveled. All electronics have been connected, tested, adjusted, and mixed properly.

Only thing left is to cut 2 x ply motor mounts and assemble. More pics to follow.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:41 AM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
This is the 2 wings halves ready to "Button Down" w/ low temp hot glue.

The carbon fiber is there to keep elevon flex to a minimum. The spars are there to build up the airfoil. The ribs are NOT installed to form the airfoil, rather they are there to minimize wing buckling on a hard nose impact. (Which eventually you will have)

This is built as a flat bottom airfoil. As a flat bottom airfoil you loose a little performance but gain a little stability. With a wing this small the more stability the better. More pics to follow ----
Last edited by ckreef; Oct 13, 2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:45 AM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Here is the 2 wing halves "Bottoned Downed" and joined.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:40 AM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Motor CutOut Template,

Template Traced,

Motor CutOut Removed.

More pics tomorrow.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:55 AM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
A few more pics.

A) I created a paper template for the hatches. I cut them out individually and taped them on the wing in the appropriate spot. That allowed me to cutout the hatches without having ink lines on the wing.

B) The electronics installed with the hatches removed.

C) The hatches glued in place and the top wing LED's.

D) The bottom wing LED's.

I went out tonight at dusk and flew the wing for 4 batteries. She flew decent and the LED's were awesome but ............... Some items to change, some items to remain the same..........

I like the configuration of the LED harness. Sort of a plug-n-play after market accessory. Installed really easy and fit like a glove. I only wish I had some blue LED's in the setup.

I like the general configuration of the wing and the ease of building with the associated templates (wing, winglet, and accessory templates).

I am still not happy with this new motor. It has plenty of power and runs very cool to the touch but........ it's design is basically a pig. They could have easily redesigned it a little and cutout 3 or 4 grams of weight. I guess I will just keep purchasing different motors until I find the perfect fit.

More of this saga to come in the future.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:44 AM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
754 Posts
Hi, i have seen people covering the wing with some clear plastic foil and a iron i also believe that you can paint on top of it too, well any way i want to know what material that is and where to find it? i want to use it to cover my wing.

Thanks.

Oh by the way this thread has being very useful to me and helped me on the design of my very first wing, pictures to follow.
Patrizio_g is online now Find More Posts by Patrizio_g
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:53 AM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
754 Posts
My wing is not completed yet, you can also see that i used the Horten 229 as a model for it.
Last edited by Patrizio_g; Oct 15, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:49 PM
IFO's are planes too
Petersburg, Va.
Joined Dec 2008
432 Posts
I don't know about the plastic film covering but I did find this stuff.
Styro-shield foam coating that allows painting.
http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Dopes--Finishes-425
I thought about getting some to see if works. Says it creates a hard shell finish
on foam. Always looking to up my wing builds.
Al.
atone1 is offline Find More Posts by atone1
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:16 PM
Danville, GA
Joined Aug 2010
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atone1 View Post
I thought about getting some to see if works. Says it creates a hard shell finish
Al.
I wonder if that could be thinned and sprayed on. If you get some lets us know.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:48 AM
London, Ontario
Joined May 2006
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atone1 View Post
Al.
Its not expensive i may as well try it
Thanks

Pat.